PDA

View Full Version : Octura x442 vs Octura 442 Backcut

GTRhino24
03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I've been running a S/B Octura x442 on my Spartan on 6s. I've recently ordered some TFL 442B from Kintec Racing and I'm just curious how these two will compare. From what I understand, the backcut drops some of the amp load at higher speeds. Are there any downsides to it being backcut?

lohring
03-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Back cutting an x series prop reduces the area and also lowers the trailing edge pitch except at the tip. This is because the x series props have most of the pitch increase from the leading edge pitch concentrated in the trailing edge cup. By back cutting you reduce the load without losing much of the useful pitch at the outer diameter. Since the blade at the hub mostly exists to support the outer 1/4 of the blade doing the work, back cutting can really help reduce the load without reducing pitch. Monos and other draggy hulls need the cup to produce thrust, so too much back cut will hurt performance. It's a matter of matching the prop to the hull.

Lohring Miller

Old Sloppy
03-15-2012, 01:40 AM
the only down side is the holeshot will not be quite as strong, most folks will not notice this because they are focused on mid range and top end performance..

Harry

jim1945
04-13-2012, 03:40 PM
What are the differences between the Octura x442 and the x442r? Also what does LH and RH mean? Which one is the right one for a Traxxas Spartan?

Also, to follow up on the first post of this thread..........which is better for the Spartan, the Octura or the one from Kintec?

numse1964
04-13-2012, 04:07 PM
X442 standard left rotation. X442R ( R for right rotation)
LH left hand rotation. RH right hand rotation.

Best regards. Henrik

TheShaughnessy
04-13-2012, 07:29 PM
when i was a super newb i ordered an x442r thinking the r meant racing, More like retarded on my part lol. Sill have the damn thing too.

siberianhusky
04-14-2012, 08:18 AM
The two TFL props I have seem to be chinese copies of Octura props (38 & 40mm), although I do not own the prop you are asking about. To be honest I think the copies are closer in balance and blade shape out of the bag than the Octuras.
All raw props need sharpening and balancing regardless of the brand (you probably already know :Peace_Sign:). Personally I prefer buying the full prop and doing the cutting work myself, as said above gotta match the prop to the hull. Take a little off test and see how it changed. A data logger is a really handy tool when doing prop work, you can see what your changes really did performance wise.

jim1945
04-15-2012, 09:56 AM
I would have no clue as to how to do that. Perhaps I am best sticking with stock props. I really do not race competitively, and do not intend to look for extreme performance. Just a newby trying better understand the boating hobby.

CatMan
04-19-2012, 03:18 PM
"when i was a super newb i ordered an x442r thinking the r meant racing, More like retarded on my part lol. Sill have the damn thing too." that's a good one.
but i think your post will hurt the rh prop sales to us newbies.
with all these twin setups i keep seeing on here, you should be able to sell that "race" prop.
I just got a 442 from OSE and after reading your post i went and looked at package to see which one it was. i didn't get the "race" prop thank goodness.

Electropilot
07-04-2012, 01:12 PM
"when i was a super newb i ordered an x442r thinking the r meant racing, more like retarded on my part lol. Sill have the damn thing too." that's a good one.
But i think your post will hurt the rh prop sales to us newbies.
With all these twin setups i keep seeing on here, you should be able to sell that "race" prop.
I just got a 442 from ose and after reading your post i went and looked at package to see which one it was. I didn't get the "race" prop thank goodness.

hahaha!