PDA

View Full Version : Wendigo Scuba Diving Tours Boat

IndyHobbies
03-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I started this project a couple of years ago. It was designed by Pat Trittle and featured in Radio Control Boat Modeler (RIP) magazine. I loved his design and decided this was the scale boat I needed to build for myself!

The real Wendigo is about 35' long and resides in Lake Ontario. They run scuba tours with it and I guess its well known in the area.

The model is not that complicated from a design standpoint. I don't mean that to minimize Pat's design, I mean that its pretty straight forward and building it requires a lot of work, but nothing you will scratch your head about too long.

Pat suggested using Sintra PVC sheet. I'd not worked with it before, but now man, I tell you, what great material to build with! Sintra is the plastic that many sign companies use to create sign boards. My local sign shop actually GAVE me all the material I needed because I had purchased signs from them in the past. Even so, it was scraps to them. But it was plenty to build my boat! Sintra sands easy, glues great with CA and is the perfect paint platform.

The only negative to Sintra is that it doesn't have a grain. So, you know how you can get the grain to work to your favor when bending for hulls and decks? Sintra doesn't do that. Its just PVC. I used 3mm and 2mm sheet for my Wendigo construction.

Here's the finished model! She's about 28 inches long. Photos below are ones that I found on the Internet of the real Wendigo Dive Boat. Lots of character!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71772&d=1330783936

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71780&d=1330784979

IndyHobbies
03-03-2012, 09:21 AM
I purchased the short kit from Pat which gives you the laser cut frames and window outlines. It also provides the cabin rafters. Sure, you could cut out all this stuff by hand, but since the laser version was available, I was all over that! Here's a link to Pat Trittle's website: http://www.patscustom-models.com/index.html

The frame is really quite stout even without the sheeting. I twisted it just a little and CA'd the joints one last time to get it nice and straight. it was just slightly off, maybe 1/8" front to back.

IndyHobbies
03-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Here you can see the hull framework coming together. The next photos show building the wooden framework of the cabin on top of the Sintra PVC sheets that I cut out. Thin CA works great for this.

IndyHobbies
03-03-2012, 09:33 AM
As the hull and cabin come together, you can tell this is a really unique boat. Its somewhat like a tug, but its also like a lobsterboat in a sense. The read Wendigo started its life as a work boat. But then King's Dive Service had it revamped with a much larger cabin area for divers and the skipper. In that last shot, you can see how nice it was to have those laser cut window frames! The hardest part was getting what I cut out with my scroll saw to exactly match the outlines. But when done, it looked great!

IndyHobbies
03-03-2012, 09:37 AM
These are photos of the cabin. I paid particular attention to this area. Its got to be built straight and the details are what make such a simple box look good. Take your time! I always figure, unless I drop this thing, I will have it for my lifetime and hopefully someone else will enjoy it beyond that.

With Sintra, you can use all the standard rattle can paints. For the interior, I used gray primer. For the exterior, I used white primer.

In the third photo, you can see the wires running up the corners of the cabin for lighting. NOW is the time to install them so that you can glue them in place and paint them over so they don't stand out.

IndyHobbies
03-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I love using Rustoleum's white primer! Great stuff, and its sands easy. The best part is white is the right choice for base color for just about any other paint. It made the red on the Wendigo really bright, which I liked.

I started using it on model rockets initially with my son. That's where I found out how good it was. Locally, I buy it at Menard's.

The second photo shows me drilling out a Bic pen body. That's what I used for a receiver for the mast/boom assembly.

The next two photos are the LED flood lights I created for the rear. They are super bright LED's and really light the boat up at night as you will see in later photos.

srislash
03-03-2012, 10:07 AM
That's cool bud,We have a good group of scale guys up here in Vancouver and it sure takes amazing patience and skill to do them.You obviously have both.Kudos.

BTW There is a scale section on here now.

IndyHobbies
03-04-2012, 08:26 AM
I didn't realize that...that there is a scale section. Are you suggesting that I move this thread there? Not sure how to do that.

srislash
03-04-2012, 10:26 AM
No the moderator has to do that.I guess it's not really a problem or he would've.Yeah the scale/semi scale section is new,just look down the main forum list.

IndyHobbies
03-05-2012, 12:49 PM
OK, well, then I will add to it over a cup 'o' coffee and build it. Mr. Moderator, if you'd like to move it to another section, please do! :patriot:

srislash
03-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Hehe

IndyHobbies
03-21-2012, 04:54 PM
I know I've gotten behind on this build thread. Been one of those busy times at work. I'll get back to it and post more photos shortly.

:)

IndyHobbies
04-09-2012, 05:45 AM

IndyHobbies
04-09-2012, 05:50 AM
A few details of the boat. The brass propeller was hand made by Gene our club president. Thank you Gene! I originally powered my Wendigo with a Speed 400 motor like Pat Trittle did, but I ended up switching which you will see later one.

The scuba tanks were made using the ends of sharpie markers and some sprue pieces from plastic model kits. Decals I sourced locally from a scuba shop. They were generous.

I painted the Sintra hull with white Rustoleum primer. Excellent stuff. I also used Rustoleum's spray red. Again, excellent results.

IndyHobbies
04-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Another photo of the hull getting its first coat of paint.

Other photos are cabin details. To me, this is the fun stuff and what brings your build to the best part.

You can see the wiring in the cabin for the navigation lights. I made their mounts/deflectors from plastic sheet.

IndyHobbies
04-09-2012, 05:57 AM
The hull was coated, believe it or not, with some black grill paint. I tested it and it was a nice flat color and didn't interact with the Rustoleum red.