PDA

View Full Version : SeaKing 180 ESC first time power up, few questions...

Checkmateguy01
03-03-2012, 12:04 AM
I've never dealt with this type of ESC before, basically all my brushless systems are of the RTR variety. Anyways, i have the program card for the SK 180 ESC, the user manuals for both the card and ESC seem to word things a little strange. So, if i'm reading them right, i need to plug in the ESC to the card, then plug 1 of my battery packs up to the ESC?? The manual says "main power pack", which i'm assuming is the battery pack. I'm gonna be running the boat on 4S (2- 2S lipo's in series). I have not fully charged my battery packs since they won't be used for a still a little while yet, does that matter? What should i set the the LVC at? How about timing for the Leopard 4074 1800kv motor? Any help would be greatly appretiated, i don't want to fry anything before the boat ever get's to the water!

de-pro
03-03-2012, 09:54 AM
You need to connect the battery pack to the esc when using the programmer. either a Single 2s or two in series should both power the esc and the card. The programmer doesnt need lots of juice so a partially charged pack should do the trick. The LVC is set default at 3.2 volts/cell. Only lower that number if you having issues with LVC kicking in early. The timing is default at 15. You can keep that if your motor comes with Y winding (my 4074 2200kv is set at 15 for timing).
You can let the esc auto calculate the cells or manually set to be on the safe side (the manual recommends to set that manually)
Calibrate the esc's throttle range by following the steps in the manual after you connect the motor and the receiver to your esc. That's kind of very important first step.
And enjoy :)

JIM MARCUM
03-04-2012, 05:28 PM
You can also use a charged RX battery pack (4-5 NiMh). I agree with de-pro - run the LVC at default setting. OSE members with a lot more experienced than me have suggested Y winding like yours be timed at 11.5 degrees. D winds at 7.5 degrees. The SeaKing/Turnigy 180 ESC is a great & reliable unit for 2-6S and should serve you well. For all FE builds, I recommend running at least 2 separate water pickups & discharge ports. I run 4 to my CASTLE ICE-2 HV, and 1 to the motor. Less heat=longer life. JIM

Checkmateguy01
03-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks guy's, seems pretty simple now! I didn't realize the LVC was already set by defualt, i thought it had to be set via the programimg card.

Jim, yeah i have debated the 1 vs 2 water pick-ups on my build. I went with 1 for now seeings how most guy's with the Genesis/FighterCat's all seem to go with just the rudder pick up. I'm gonna be running 4S most of the time, i'll see how the temps go then add a secend inlet if need be.

JIM MARCUM
03-04-2012, 07:20 PM
This will cost you >$15 http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80515. Do your ESC, Motor (s), and yourself a HUGE favor and buy & install this on every boat you have. JIM