PDA

View Full Version : H&M hydro

LarrysDrifter
03-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I just bought a hull and hardware package from the swap shop. The hull is 30" long and will have Speedmaster 21 strut and rudder along with a homemade turnfin that came on it. The motor is a Neu 1521/1Y to be run on 6s. Im still undecided on the esc right now. Flex will be .187 . Ill be sport running for the most part and probably a few club races this summer. So, for now, im looking for a bit of speed. (Maybe 70mph, if the hull can handle it). So, my question is what prop should I start with? I have an X445, X447 in two blade and 3, ABC H7, ABC 1816-50. I have access to more, thats just a sample. I havent taken any pics yet, so ill post a link to the sale thread. Ill also be posting a build thread soon. Hopefully, some hydro guys will chime in. Im sick of messing with monos, so I think a decent hydro will brighten my FE spirits a bit. Ive done ALOT of searching on this hull and have come up empty handed, maybe that should tell me something! I think the hull name is SS 21, by the way. Any and all good advise is very welcome!
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?32310-H-amp-M-SS-21-Hydro-Hull-and-Hardware&p=397199#post397199

LarrysDrifter
03-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Good information must be a thing of the past around here....or Im impatient. Id say both.

Fluid
03-02-2012, 07:11 AM
You're right, this place sucks. There should be plenty of folks hovering around their keyboards between noon and quitting time fighting each other to answer your question.....

That was never a very popular hull. A few club members played with them 7-8 years ago and never got them to run well. They tended to bounce badly at high speed and turning was cranky. H&M re-designed the hull later, but I have not seen one of the newer ones run. Buaas set a SAW record with one, but he had to modify the heck out of it as I recall.

Diegoboy
03-02-2012, 08:18 AM
You're right, this place sucks. There should be plenty of folks hovering around their keyboards between noon and quitting time fighting each other to answer your question.....
How can "plenty of folks" answer his question accurately if they've never owned or even seen this boat in person? You said it yourself "That was never a very popular hull"

That was never a very popular hull. A few club members played with them 7-8 years ago and never got them to run well. They tended to bounce badly at high speed and turning was cranky. H&M re-designed the hull later, but I have not seen one of the newer ones run. Buaas set a SAW record with one, but he had to modify the heck out of it as I recall.
Thank you for sharing your vast amount of knowledge which is always greatly appreciated, but he is still with an unanswered question.

So, my question is what prop should I start with? http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?32310-H-amp-M-SS-21-Hydro-Hull-and-Hardware&p=397199#post397199
Do you remember wich prop Brian used?

LarrysDrifter
03-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I dont recall. Ill have to ask him. Also, just wanted to get opinions of others. I guess its not too popular of a hull. Oh well, Ill run it anyway. Ill start with an X445 and go from there. Thanks, Danny.

Diegoboy
03-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I agree with you 100% about mono's, they suck. (to those that disagree, it's my opinion)
Neu 1521/1Y 1577Kv on 6S (22.2v)
I don't have the specs on any of those props you have listed, but with your proposed setup and given the boat is dialed in, You could see:
58mph on an M545,
61mph on an X642,
65mph on a Prather 225
and 67mph on an ABC H4.

LarrysDrifter
03-02-2012, 10:05 AM
My friend Bob and I will be re building the boat tomorrow, so hopefully by next weekend, she can hit the water.

bigwaveohs
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Good information must be a thing of the past around here....or Im impatient. Id say both.

I've only run the FE-30, but here's a link to a thread about that particular hull:

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/showthread.php?t=30718

From that thread he said he was running an S220 prop...

Pete

LarrysDrifter
03-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Big. Thats the boat I just bought. Guess that guy was the original owner of it.

RandyatBBY
03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Usually if a boat hops in the straights the angle of the sponson is too high and must be brought down. 3.5 is a good and what I set mine at.

Fluid
03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
How can "plenty of folks" answer his question accurately if they've never owned or even seen this boat in person? You said it yourself "That was never a very popular hull" Uh, I was using the same kind of sarcasm the OP was, when he was upset that a post placed at noon hadn't been answered by quitting time. Should I put the word "sarcasm" after each line in the future so there is no confusion? (not sarcasm)

Thank you for sharing your vast amount of knowledge which is always greatly appreciated, but he is still with an unanswered question. I was trying to let him know why he shouldn't expect a lot of responses to his question. Unlike some members here, I'm not going to make up an answer - I have never seen this boat run well in oval configurations.

Do you remember wich prop Brian used? I would never suggest a SAW prop be used on an oval boat - that's a recipe for disaster.