PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Oil Super Boat from Pro Boat IMPULSE 26

IndyHobbies
02-28-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm new to these forums. My latest project is just a custom scheme. I took my IMPULSE 26 and painted it to look like one of the Lucas Oil Superboats. Its not an exact scale version of any single boat, but a compilation of them and, of course, the Impluse 26.

I removed the decals that came with the boat and cleaned the hull with denatured alcohol. I used Rustoleum rattle can paint. I've used it on other hulls with great success.

Can't wait to get it on the water. I've had this boat since last summer and run it many times. But, it will look like the real deal now!

Scott

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71483&d=1330455200

tlandauer
02-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Your paint job is another proof that some people are just born with talent! Wow! beautiful!

srislash
02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Looks sweet!Will look great on the water.

IndyHobbies
02-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys, but Its just RED! The hardest part was cutting out the "LUCAS OIL" lettering on the side. I had to do that with an X-acto knife. That was a pain, but I didn't want to do the sign shop vinyl letter thing, it was a Sunday afternoon and I wanted to complete it.

Here's some pictures of the real Lucas Oil super boats where I got my inspiration.

IndyHobbies
03-04-2012, 10:07 AM
We went to "Monster Jam" last night at Lucas Oil Stadium. So, I was able to get some phone pictures of that boat there. Fuzzy, but at least you can see it. They put their Lucas crest image on that boat 180 degrees from how I've see it on all the others. Wonder why?

IndyHobbies
03-04-2012, 10:09 AM
A really nice rigging job to get that boat hanging up there and safe for all!

The Lucas Oil Drag Boat was also super impressive down below! See last two photos.

srislash
03-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Oooh,Drag boat:drool:.Got to build one sometime.Used to have a bud with one.5.4 on the liquid quarter.

IndyHobbies
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Ya, that drag boat got my juices going too. I was staring at it, when I should have been watching the Monster Trucks down below. What a piece of machinery!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71871&d=1330873760

srislash
03-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Randy has got some over at BBY.They are molded ABS I believe,should be light,maybe 10s and a 2028 with a gearbox to twin props.I have given it some thought.LOL

IndyHobbies
03-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I just stopped by Lucas Oil Racing in Brownsburg, IN where I live. The Top Fuel drag racing team. There are many racing teams in our town due to being near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Indianapolis Raceway Park where the NHRA U.S. Nationals are held.

I was hoping to get some more 4" stickers was my main goal. I showed them my Lucas Oil R/C boat. They went nuts!

Turns out they have a whole new line of "Lucas Marine Products" coming out. He gave me some new stickers for that line of products and then... asked if I'd be interested in making a r/c boat like mine for them! It would be their new colors to match. Kind of an Aquamarine color scheme.

He's not 100% on it until he talks to people at the office more, but wanted to know if I'd be willing. Cool!

It could be nothing comes of it but it was a fun experience.

dana
03-09-2012, 06:50 PM
That's cool

srislash
03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Way cool man,that should be right up your alley.

IndyHobbies
03-19-2012, 06:13 AM
The Indy Admirals had an indoor fun run at the Plainfield Indoor Aquatic Center this past weekend. We had a great morning of running boats. I got the Lucas Impulse wet finally. My buddy John got some good water shots!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72802&d=1332151974

srislash
03-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Wow,they let you run inside there?That's cool,I've thought of that but think the boats would be too fast for any indoor facility.

IndyHobbies
03-20-2012, 03:56 PM
For one with an Olympic size pool, they are fine. Just get ready to turn! As your local school district. They were happy to accommodate us. They used it for a spectator event too.

Alfa Spirit
03-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Nice boat, add the orange nose

IndyHobbies
03-21-2012, 05:48 AM
I've thought about that neon orange nose. Would be easy to do with some Monokote trim sheet material. The one at Lucas Oil Stadium does not have the neon orange markings, but many of their superboats do. I guess the nose is the part of the boat that is still visible due to flotation if the boat swamps.

They have all sort of Lucas Oil Racing vehicles there. The biplane is cool too. These are photos from last year. Finally found them on my hard drive. The Lucas Oil crest on the bow is reverse of what most of their boats have as well. It does seem like it should be turned 180 to me.

bill34207
03-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Both the crest and the boat number are turned. I think that might be so it would appear right side up if shot from a heli above the boat while chasing it in a race.:confused1:

Darin Jordan
03-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Very cool! Nicely done and I'm VERY glad you are enjoying your new IM26!

IndyHobbies
03-21-2012, 04:33 PM
I really like the IM26 Darin! Great price and fast enough to be exciting, but not so fast that I dont want anyone else to run it. Does that make sense?

Our club (www.IndyAdmirals.com) considered it for our "one design" club racer. Another boat was selected but only because it was half the size of the Impulse 26 and faster (Minimono). But we are finding that the prop shafts keep falling out on them which is a real pain. I've not had a single problem with the Impulse 26 in operation.

Initially, the installation of components (motor/shaft) was not aligned properly, but I fixed that quickly. It would not be a problem for anyone with experience, but a new boater with no tools might have some difficulty with it.

The Admirals are on facebook too. Know we've got links to your site on there. www.facebook.com/indyadmirals

Darin Jordan
03-21-2012, 04:44 PM
I really like the IM26 Darin! Great price and fast enough to be exciting, but not so fast that I dont want anyone else to run it. Does that make sense?

Our club (www.IndyAdmirals.com) considered it for our "one design" club racer. Another boat was selected but only because it was half the size of the Impulse 26 and faster (Minimono). But we are finding that the prop shafts keep falling out on them which is a real pain. I've not had a single problem with the Impulse 26 in operation.

Initially, the installation of components (motor/shaft) was not aligned properly, but I fixed that quickly. It would not be a problem for anyone with experience, but a new boater with no tools might have some difficulty with it.

The Admirals are on facebook too. Know we've got links to your site on there. www.facebook.com/indyadmirals

That's cool. You'll find that it'll take 3S pretty nicely too. If you make it a race-class, perhaps consider running them on 3S. The ESC is rated to 50A I believe. I think you'll see future offerings with more Lipo support.

Also, on the shaft... I tend to put grease on the lower portion, mostly just on the stub-shaft where it passes through the bushing, but on the flex portion, I use just a bit of grease mixed with a good coating of oil... I use some Outboard lower-unit oil (Think REAL boats... from the auto-parts store).... The driveline is long enough to cause drag issues is the grease gets too thick. Oil frees it up some.

The hull seems to respond well to a bit more power as well.

Alfa Spirit
03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
The red FOUNTAIN is nice, but your Impulse look like an OUTERLIMITS hull

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8813/235ua.jpg

IndyHobbies
03-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Awesome photo! Thanks for that. Right clicked that puppy at added it to my files. Nice shot. It is amazing the amount of racing vehicles that Lucas Oil sponsors. Obviously, it must pay them back. Either that or Forest Lucas just loves racing! Maybe a little of both huh?:thumbup1:

izcain
04-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Hey Indy your friend that had the impulse with the velineon swapped into it....... Have you gotten a chance to see him open it up? How did it perform? I am looking for another hull to install this kit into since the current hull can't handle it. I was thinking of purchasing one and taking the gear out of it and putting it in the older hull and vis versa to the impulse putting the velineon swap into the impulse hull. Figured it would be a fun project and something to do to use the existing stuff I have.

IndyHobbies
04-04-2012, 10:32 PM
I have not seen it run full out, but he has run it 100% and says that its super fast, but fine. The hull is not really designed for smashing into anything, so at those speeds I would think if you contact something like a stick floating, you will crack the hull. As soon as I get some more info, I will post it.

By the way, I sheared my little nylon rudder bolt. At the hobbytown on the north side of Indianapolis, I was not able to find a replacement. Nothing that small in nylon. However, I found very small 6-32 bolts/nuts, 1" long at LOWE's! They have a "specialty" section where they stock white nylon fasteners. The diameter is slightly larger than the stock bolt, so I will have to ream out my rudder hole, but no biggie.

izcain
04-05-2012, 01:50 AM
right on thanks for the info. I would understand hitting something at speed and it breaking of course I was just wondering if the hull would take that kind of speed and still be stable. Sounds like it is a pretty good design.

Chris Harris
04-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Cool boat, looks great!

I remember seeing the Offshore boat that's hanging there in Lucas Oil Stadium sitting on the trailer at Nigel Hooks crewcheif's house in Deland, Fl. Seeing it all the time and my beleif in their products inspired
me to do most of my oval fleet with the Lucas theme. I think that particular boat only raced here in the US. The Outer Limits and others they have raced in Europe and I think it's part of the regulations to have the orange bow over there.

Chris

IndyHobbies
06-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Got some better REAL water shots today at the Indy Admirals annual family picnic. We had a great time! The Admirals are on facebook if you want to follow the club's stuff. Very active club.

http://www.facebook.com/indyadmirals

IndyHobbies
08-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I took the 1500Kv motor and 45amp ESC out of my Miss GEICO and put it into my Impluse 26. She should SCOOT now!

In their place, I upgraded the Miss GEICO to an 1800Kv and 60 amp ESC.

Faster is good right?

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82497&d=1344977913

Skullcracken
09-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Looks good. I think Im going to buy an Impulse 26 to make the Tilted Kilt boat. 83655