PDA

View Full Version : seaking questions

karlhh
02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Ok so the first time i run my geico with a seaking 180 bone stock it ran 32mph with a seaking 180 and sharpened and balanced x642 it ran 40.6mph and with a m445 it did 43.2mph not bad. my two questions are why when i connect the batteries (useing 5.5bullet) after the beebs the motor runs a few seconds? and when checking temps after a 5min run all is good but one leg going to the motor is around 105f the other two around 87 f is this normal?

carlcisneros
02-19-2012, 08:01 PM
sounds like you might have a bad solder joint on the one motor connector (bullet).
I would re-solder that joint to make sure it is good.

iamandrew
02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
r u using bec?

karlhh
02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
No i would like to but dont know much about them like how often to charge them are they lipo batteries?

iamandrew
02-19-2012, 09:57 PM
I noticed the same thing with my latest 180 esc
After i removed the middle wire from the eSC and used a 6V battery to the reciever i noticed the motor does not spin up or down when the power is connected.
I assumed it had somthing to do with the extra cap bank

karlhh
02-20-2012, 11:48 AM
When using a lipo bec how long before you have to recharge it? And how do you know when to.

karlhh
02-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Ok i think i got this backwards when useing bec there is no external battery just the lipos that run the motor right? and rx battery is seperate.

Make-a-Wake
02-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Ok i think i got this backwards when useing bec there is no external battery just the lipos that run the motor right? and rx battery is seperate.

BEC is "Battery eliminator circuit"....................yes, it eliminates the need for a seperate battery to power the RX.

ice_spy
02-26-2012, 05:13 PM
:focus: on my SK180 i tested its limits by hooking up 2x 2881kv inrunners to the 1x SK180Aesc. in my apparition II (stock motors) It ran great! temps were good too.
My question is i noticed sometimes, the esc blinks the red light at full load. the red light that normally blinks when armed. Is this normal? nothing in the manual. but i do remeber from my rc car days, the Novak esc's would produce an orange led at full load. However, the SK180 seems to be random and slightly blinks rather than a solid light.

carlcisneros
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Ice;
go ahead and hook up a Receiver battery pack (dont forget to remove the red wire from the ESC receiver plug) and
then wee what happens.

GTRhino24
02-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Ice;
go ahead and hook up a Receiver battery pack (dont forget to remove the red wire from the ESC receiver plug) and
then wee what happens.

Do you just have to pull the middle pin out of the plug or remove the red wire entirely? I just got a little rx battery for the seaking 180 myself and was curious to how to hook it up.

carlcisneros
02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
just carefully pull the middle red pin from the plug and tape it back so that it will not come in contact with anything.

FIRST, calibrate the ESC to your transmitter, then program the esc and THEN you can remove the red pin from the plug. :biggrin:

karlhh
02-29-2012, 04:36 PM
how long dose the rx battery last before you have to charge it?

carlcisneros
02-29-2012, 04:47 PM
IF you get a good 6 cell NmH pack (1800mah or so) it will last all day. (for the most part.)
I always charge my receiver packs each time I get ready to go to the water.

Carl

gb tiggycat
02-29-2012, 05:43 PM
I dislike either cutting the red wire or pulling the pins out of the plug on an expensive ESC like the T180. Instead , I connect it to the Rx with a very short extension cable (available in all sorts of lengths very cheaply for Futaba gear) and cut the red line on this. It leaves you with the option to still use the BEC facility if you use the ESC in another boat using less lipos cells (with the T180, the BEC should work quite happily with 4S-5S)

GTRhino24
02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I dislike either cutting the red wire or pulling the pins out of the plug on an expensive ESC like the T180. Instead , I connect it to the Rx with a very short extension cable (available in all sorts of lengths very cheaply for Futaba gear) and cut the red line on this. It leaves you with the option to still use the BEC facility if you use the ESC in another boat using less lipos cells (with the T180, the BEC should work quite happily with 4S-5S)

Great idea and I am ahead of you on this one. On my Spartan, you kinda have to becuase of the watertight rx box. I bought two extensions. One for the rx battery and another for the esc. That way I can program my sw180a and connect/disconnect my rx battery without having to remove the rx cover.

carlcisneros
02-29-2012, 06:50 PM
very good guys. either way it is accomplishing the same objective.