PDA

View Full Version : What if??Brain Fart??

millzee
02-11-2012, 07:52 AM
I was just tinkering in the shed and had an idea, I thought it'd be good to put it up and see if anyone has tried the idea and to see if it may be worth pursuing, if anyone else has any "brain fart" ideas the'll share it might work.

My idea:
-To come up with some design for a "airbag" ballon that could be deployed after a boat's had a flip over that would not only stop the vessel from sinking in a bad costly crash but also turn it back over so you can safely drive it back to shore in a minor incident. It seems a lot of hatch's have a little room in them if a device was fitted and some sort of remote water tight sliding door that'd allow a ballon to exit the boat via the roof, thus upon inflation would lift the boat off the water enough to get the weight under it and causing it to roll over upright. It could be designed so it used something like one of those little gas cylinders to inflate it and then back at shore simply push the ballon/float back in and replace the cylinder You'd need different size devices depending on the size and type of boat or better yet sold in kits so you can fit to suit the build and any extra weight gained could be lost by removing regular floatation. It could be deployed via the AUX channel on your radio or for those worried about the electronics being dead after a bad crash, it could come with some sort of seperate remote device.
I recon something like this would keep a lot people out of the water on annoying rescues, make things safer, the only reason to enter the water would be for a "dead" boat.
Go on, build it, make it one of the 100 rules you need to compete and sell em on here. Need those euro guy's.
Just a thought

srislash
02-11-2012, 08:53 AM
I had thoughts of either a floating bag or dye system as the drag boat guys run.This came to me after seeing Make a Wake's boat after a crash(what was left of it).I am starting to be running the 60 mph mark regular and crashes can be tragic above that.Mind you I do have a diver handy.
Thats a good idea though Millzee,but a flood chamber would do the same thing wouldn't it?

millzee
02-11-2012, 05:06 PM
it would but a flood chamber wouldn't have helped Make-a wake where a system like the above would have had him scooping off the surface and not diving.

srislash
02-11-2012, 08:11 PM
It's a great idea if it can be compact enough.

Make-a-Wake
02-11-2012, 08:31 PM
I was actually thinking of using a small bouy.........like the white ones that are tied to the side of a boat while docking, but small, it would fit up in the nose.............and a 15ft long line of strong fishing line or thin wire and securing the wire to the motor mount. If the boat ends up like my Big Blue did, the bouy would have released and i could have just pulled it up(if the fishing line was 25lb+ test) or at least could see where it was. The Blue 51 incher had enough room in the bow, but the new 47 is a bit smaller. However, With a good fastening device, this 'safety line' could be secured to one of the pool noodles and float to the top!

millzee
02-12-2012, 05:27 PM
not a bad idea either, if you check out my t29 build thread, in the last few pic's you can see the area I could use in the hatch once it's all sealed up. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?22972-Aeromarine-Titan-29-quot-My-2nd-build&highlight=

drwayne
02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Last century, 'rc boat modeller' mag featured an article for a pill bottle attached by a line tied to the boat, incase of a sinking.
We chuckled and pointed to our abundant floatation..
Ive had boats go under at speed.. stuck in the bottom of deep dark water...
That old viag.ara bottle couldve been what the doctor needed to get it back up !

@millzee.. there are many widgets available to create your 'airbag' idea.
Failsafe external from Rx activates air valve when sig lost would be easiest.. ditto if the Rx power failed it would auto deploy .
Receiver embedded failsafes make me nervous !.. if the Rx power fails, it's goodnight and goodbye. !

W

millzee
02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
sweet doc, I'll chat with you about it next time I call to pester you with stupid questions. Thanks

drwayne
02-13-2012, 06:12 PM
hahaha
Have a few hrs between nightmare clients.. so 'net browsing I go !

bigwaveohs
02-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Davis, a supplier of marine gear once had an inflatable buoy that went on your key chain...if you dropped your keys overboard the device would inflate and bring your keys to the surface...get a couple of those!

Update: Amazon has them for $7.45...

rc2266
02-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Last century, 'rc boat modeller' mag featured an article for a pill bottle attached by a line tied to the boat, incase of a sinking.
We chuckled and pointed to our abundant floatation..
Ive had boats go under at speed.. stuck in the bottom of deep dark water...
That old viag.ara bottle couldve been what the doctor needed to get it back up
W
:rofl:

drwayne
02-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Davis, a supplier of marine gear once had an inflatable buoy that went on your key chain...if you dropped your keys overboard the device would inflate and bring your keys to the surface...get a couple of those!

Update: Amazon has them for $7.45...

http://www.amazon.com/Davis-530-Instruments-Key-Buoy/dp/B000ZOV6TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329181494&sr=8-1
Thanx

and then I read a review !

This review is from: Davis Instruments Key Buoy (Automotive)
As my husband had a habit of dropping his keys in the water by our boat, I thought this item would be a perfect
Christmas stocking stuffer. This past weekend, it came into use, as his keys once again went into the water.
Unfortunately, all this key chain buoy did was pop open, the balloon thing inside did not inflate as it should
have. We were very disappointed in this item to say the least. It is not worth the money, even thought it doesn't
even cost that much. Total waste of money.

W

drwayne
02-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Power out auto inflator...

you would need the valve
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Pneumatic_Components/Pneumatic_Solenoid_Valves/3-port_%283-way%29,_2-pos.,_Modular_-z-_Manifold_%28BVS,_BVM_Series%29/BVS-32C1-12D

and the compressed air
air retract bottles are cheap, or a cco22 recharge bottle. we can reuse by filling with foot pump

and something inflatable..

Id be careful the hull insides dont burn the inflatable if the boat sunk due Pfffft !

am doodling circuit diag for a self powered failsafe independent of Rx.. so it vents if Rx burns/drowns/whatever.
How will it work ? turn off Tx and it failsafes.. or if Rx is compromised same result... and there's always a 3rd channel option ..
Not instantaneous on Rx loss .... a few seconds delay else it may look like a zeppelin when the balloons inflate when control is restored....

anyone seriously interested in this ?

After talking to millzee yesterday, I have a keen 'does it work' tester on hand.

W

millzee
02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
mate, I thank you for the info and will pursue this in a little while, our family was turned upside down this evening with some news about her father, I'll be needing my attention to be with her.
thanks again.

srislash
02-14-2012, 09:17 AM
You've got my interest on this drwayne.I'm starting to get some good and possibly tragic speeds going again.

drwayne
02-14-2012, 06:13 PM
mate, I thank you for the info and will pursue this in a little while, our family was turned upside down this evening with some news about her father, I'll be needing my attention to be with her.
thanks again.

Family should always comes first, Mate.

Wayne

bigwaveohs
02-14-2012, 06:56 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Davis-530-Instruments-Key-Buoy/dp/B000ZOV6TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329181494&sr=8-1
Thanx

and then I read a review !

This review is from: Davis Instruments Key Buoy (Automotive)
As my husband had a habit of dropping his keys in the water by our boat, I thought this item would be a perfect
Christmas stocking stuffer. This past weekend, it came into use, as his keys once again went into the water.
Unfortunately, all this key chain buoy did was pop open, the balloon thing inside did not inflate as it should
have. We were very disappointed in this item to say the least. It is not worth the money, even thought it doesn't
even cost that much. Total waste of money.

W

Or you could do what I do...flotation...

drwayne
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Or you could do what I do...flotation...

The theme of this thread is to find the one that got away.

Ive only had one disappear and not return ... a concerted effort of grid searching the bottom had it bobbing up later that day.
Nosed into mud 1/2 way up hull the 2x12" pool noodle floatation did little.... returned airtight and bone dry inside despite it's submarine adventure.
I drove it to shore...
:smile:

W

millzee
02-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Family should always comes first, Mate.

Wayne
would have called but can't, sorry guy's need to vent, the last 24 hours has been hell. My wifes father has been in and out of hostpital for a few weeks with a blood clot in his leg heading north that we thought should be getting better but the drugs have failed to work and the clots are getting worse. He had a heap of test's done yesterday and last night called me asking to bring my wife in to see him, we sat there and I watched as he broke my wifes heart and informed her he had lung cancer and it's spread to his hip and they have to wait for more bone test results, and there was nothing I can do to ease my wifes paine.
He smoked for 25 years but has not smoked for almost the last 25 years, for the love of god, if you read this and smoke, one day you may just destroy not only your own but the lives of the ones that love you the most. I'm a smoker and my wife already hates it, all I can do right now to help her is quite, today's my first day in 15 years without a smoke

chat in a few weeks
Danny

srislash
02-15-2012, 08:45 AM
The theme of this thread is to find the one that got away.

Ive only had one disappear and not return ... a concerted effort of grid searching the bottom had it bobbing up later that day.
Nosed into mud 1/2 way up hull the 2x12" pool noodle floatation did little.... returned airtight and bone dry inside despite it's submarine adventure.
I drove it to shore...
:smile:

W
THAT IS AWESOME!! I would be ecstatic.

srislash
02-15-2012, 08:50 AM
would have called but can't, sorry guy's need to vent, the last 24 hours has been hell. My wifes father has been in and out of hostpital for a few weeks with a blood clot in his leg heading north that we thought should be getting better but the drugs have failed to work and the clots are getting worse. He had a heap of test's done yesterday and last night called me asking to bring my wife in to see him, we sat there and I watched as he broke my wifes heart and informed her he had lung cancer and it's spread to his hip and they have to wait for more bone test results, and there was nothing I can do to ease my wifes paine.
He smoked for 25 years but has not smoked for almost the last 25 years, for the love of god, if you read this and smoke, one day you may just destroy not only your own but the lives of the ones that love you the most. I'm a smoker and my wife already hates it, all I can do right now to help her is quite, today's my first day in 15 years without a smoke

chat in a few weeks
Danny
Hang in there Millzee.It's good to vent and here is as good as anyplace.Good luck with the smoking,I'm pulling for ya.
My Grandfather went from Lung issues when I was impressionable and that stopped me from ever starting.

drwayne
02-15-2012, 08:59 AM

chat in a few weeks
Danny

I smoked 13-30.. gave up the morning a smoldering butt set fire to my show van.

Be there for your missus, m8... we're always out here if you need to rant.

DocW

Boaterguy
02-15-2012, 09:10 PM
had two in my life, still crave it on a regular (two or three cravings a month) basis.
it's strong stuff, just imagine what those guys on coke must be feeling, they can't help it.
what about a large helium (not hydrogen for obvious reasons) balloon that inflated via gyro to lift the boat off the water completely, then released by another channel once the boat is leveled, dropping the boat back into the water.

Rumdog
02-15-2012, 09:30 PM
lol The baloon would need to have about a 100 ft. circumfrence

Boaterguy
02-15-2012, 09:48 PM
did you do the math or are you just guessing?
what about a parasail? i might be willing to put one of those HK parasails on my boat and deploy it to see what happens (hopefully it doesn't rip the anchor right off)

liteumup69
02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Bass pro shop, self inflating life vest and self inflating fishing rod saver, I have both, but have never dropped them in the water, they are suppose to self inflate, the vest uses a co2 Carthage, the rod saver? you might be able to rig one to work?..

Rumdog
02-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Alka seltzer tab on the hatch

drwayne
02-15-2012, 11:48 PM
had two in my life, still crave it on a regular (two or three cravings a month) basis.
it's strong stuff, just imagine what those guys on coke must be feeling, they can't help it.
what about a large helium (not hydrogen for obvious reasons) balloon that inflated via gyro to lift the boat off the water completely, then released by another channel once the boat is leveled, dropping the boat back into the water.

you've been smoking the happy cigarettes again ?
Using a gyro to inflate a balloon works similar to using a goat to achieve warp drive.

Intelligence is more addictive than any drug, m8.. try some :smile:

Boaterguy
02-16-2012, 06:33 AM
Intelligence is more addictive than any drug, m8.. try some :smile:
here you are talking :tt2:
not the happy ones, just the normal ones so far.
if you could use the gyro and find the right ic i'm sure you could set points at the PWM in either direction to deploy, maybe without even writing firmware.