PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

Tim K
02-11-2012, 07:16 AM
I decided to buy a Mystic to play around with , I was looking for something that was well designed (for RTR) and would need minimal modifications to make it fun and reliable , this would be the platform I use to learn a little about FE as well as for the family to have fun with .
I have been in the hobby for many years now primarily racing Nitro but enjoy all aspects of this hobby.

As a RTR boat they have come a long way from the days of MRP and this boat not only looks great but is cleanly laid out well built.

Positive

Solid hull , easy to work on decent quality at a reasonable price and great looking.

Room for Improvement

These are only my opinion and mainly were I see future problems.

Coupler is definitely a week link and will eventually let go , would like to see the brass tube through the hull be one size larger than the stuffing tube to allow for easy change of the stuffing tube (very minor , easy change) .
Not a fan of the lead bushings in the strut or Teflon tube so that will be changed and will go with the standard brass bushing.
The biggest problem is the Rudder. Not being able to kick up when you hit something (and you will) is unacceptable , this oversight will cause major damage to the hull and hardware and could have been fixed very easily. I know Darin had something else in mind but Proboat went with this set up ?

Like I said for a RTR it looks awesome and we can't wait to try it , will work the small bugs out of it and should be a lot of fun.

Thanks Darin for answering all my questions and putting up with me , also thanks to Steven (OSE) for answering my questions and getting my order out so quickly.

Will post more when we get it wet:cool2:
Tim K

Tim K
02-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I am having trouble with the steering servo glitching.
I have tried a couple different servos , and receivers and can't get it to stop.
If I disconnect the ESC and run a RX battery pack it works fine .
Anyone else have this problem?

Tim k

Tim K
02-20-2012, 09:39 AM
No one else at all ?

jj2003
02-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Which ESC is in that one Tim?

Darin Jordan
02-20-2012, 10:35 AM
I am having trouble with the steering servo glitching.
I have tried a couple different servos , and receivers and can't get it to stop.
If I disconnect the ESC and run a RX battery pack it works fine .
Anyone else have this problem?

Tim k

I haven't had any issues like that, and am not sure if anyone else has either.

It does sound like a faulty BEC. Were your packs fully charged when you were testing it?? Does it do it regardless of pack charge??

If you continue to have issues, you can contact Pro Boat tech support and let them know and see if you can get it warranted...

Or, just run an RX pack...

jj2003
02-20-2012, 10:39 AM

It does sound like a faulty BEC. Were your packs fully charged when you were testing it?? Does it do it regardless of pack charge??

If you continue to have issues, you can contact Pro Boat tech support and let them know and see if you can get it warranted...

I would bet the house that you are correct Darin. I have a Turnigy T180 that does the same thing. I had a spare to test with and that confirmed my suspicion's.

Tim K
02-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Stock 60 amp

Tim K
02-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Both packs are in storage voltage range so I'll charge them and try again , just thought it would be more than enough power to set up the radio (new guy here lol).
Even with the RX pack it glitches until you disconnect the ESC , then its good.

Thanks for your help guys.

Tim k

Darin Jordan
02-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Both packs are in storage voltage range so I'll charge them and try again , just thought it would be more than enough power to set up the radio (new guy here lol).
Even with the RX pack it glitches until you disconnect the ESC , then its good.

Thanks for your help guys.

Tim k

Tim, you may be right, but if the voltage cutoff is working correctly, then it may be to the point where they are too low and the ESC has essentially shut down the boat. Again, just speculating. Try charging them and see if it's better and let us know.

Tim K
02-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Both packs charged and no change , something is screwy with the ESC , I guess I need to contact ProBoat and see what they will do :sad:.

Tim K

Tim K
02-22-2012, 05:35 AM
I am going to send the ESC back for warranty but I am wondering wondering if they will still cover it after I changed the connectors?

Tim K

Tim K
04-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Finally had a chance to try the boat out.
Proboat replaced the ESC quickly and without any problem , good service.

We tested the boat with an Octura X437/3 , strut pushed flat to my layout table , zero angle on strut.
First run the boat showed decent speed with a minor hop , similar to what others have said about the boat.
When taking the batteries out to charge I pulled one of the trays out with it and after further inspection I realized the other was coming off as well ( better epoxy is needed Proboat).
Wedged a little foam inside to hold the batteries in place moved the packs forward about an inch and ran it again.
This time the boat ran perfect , with no hop at all and better speed.

We ran the boat four times in some fairly strong wind and pretty rough water and the boat performed great.
My modification to the rudder worked perfectly and the boat turned very well with little loss of speed.

All in all a decent boat that with a little work will be a great boat.

Tim K