PDA

View Full Version : Tested my new set-up today, and gotz me a question.

floatn turd
02-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Testing info:

Purchased a Motley Crew, ran it "stock" once. (to slow)

Bought a Leopard 4074 2150kv and Swordfish 200amp. Ran once on 4s, then learned that 4s was the max I can do with that motor. Well that does my 3s and 4s packs no good.

So I sold and replaced the all that with a TP 4050 1160kv and 8s- 240 ESC from Fightercat.

Now for today:

I started with 6s on a m445, ran perfect, and cold.
*Note* The TP on 6s "seemed" to be the same as the Leopard on 4s, on top-end speed, but the TP had a ton more mid-range punch than the Leo.
**Note 2** The Leo sounded better than the TP

So I skipped the 7s and went straight to the 8s. HOLY CRAP!!! that thing was fast... gave the throttle a squeeze and it jumped out of the water about a foot. It busted off the nylon sheer bolts on the rudder and flipped over. Fixed it and tried again. I could only give it full throttle for a second once it was "under way", cause it would hop right out of the water. If it had wings it would fly away, and I didn't want to wreck the hull on the first time out. I don't own a GPS or a camera person, but it hauled A**!! only at prob. 75% throttle most the time. When I did go "full" for a second= She flew like a "raped ape"

Right up until I snapped my flex line.

Question:

My flex WAS a 150, should I change everything over to a 3/16 system maybe a wire drive?? -Or- was it just a bum shaft? Do you think the 150 will do the job? (I don't want to change a bunch of crap if I don't have to)

What do you think??

PS If i do have to change my drive set-up does anybody offer a "all in one" kit?

thanks for the help.

pics:

Serpents811
02-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Testing info:

Purchased a Motley Crew, ran it "stock" once. (to slow)

Bought a Leopard 4074 2150kv and Swordfish 200amp. Ran once on 4s, then learned that 4s was the max I can do with that motor. Well that does my 3s and 4s packs no good.

So I sold and replaced the all that with a TP 4050 1160kv and 8s- 240 ESC from Fightercat.

Now for today:

I started with 6s on a m445, ran perfect, and cold.
*Note* The TP on 6s "seemed" to be the same as the Leopard on 4s, on top-end speed, but the TP had a ton more mid-range punch than the Leo.
**Note 2** The Leo sounded better than the TP

So I skipped the 7s and went straight to the 8s. HOLY CRAP!!! that thing was fast... gave the throttle a squeeze and it jumped out of the water about a foot. It busted off the nylon sheer bolts on the rudder and flipped over. Fixed it and tried again. I could only give it full throttle for a second once it was "under way", cause it would hop right out of the water. If it had wings it would fly away, and I didn't want to wreck the hull on the first time out. I don't own a GPS or a camera person, but it hauled A**!! only at prob. 75% throttle most the time. When I did go "full" for a second= She flew like a "raped ape"

Right up until I snapped my flex line.

Question:

My flex WAS a 150, should I change everything over to a 3/16 system maybe a wire drive?? -Or- was it just a bum shaft? Do you think the 150 will do the job? (I don't want to change a bunch of crap if I don't have to)

What do you think??

PS If i do have to change my drive set-up does anybody offer a "all in one" kit?

thanks for the help.

pics:

my opinion is that hull is way to small for that setup you got , that setup is more for like 35"+ hull and also .150 is to weak for that type power

floatn turd
02-09-2012, 11:30 PM

Well, I was reading about how people were sinking their boats and loosing them underwater. trying to recover them using: fish-finders, big rakes, divers, mermaids and what have you. I didn't "foam" the hull and cant fit noodles in there. So I made a buoy system. Lets say I torpedo the boat and the hatch flies off and the boat "swamps" with water. the buoy floats up, attached to 20ft of 80lb test fishing wire and spools out from the top of the film can. )the line is attached around the motor mount. So buoy floats up, and I get my boat back. Seemed like a good idea to me.

floatn turd
02-09-2012, 11:33 PM
my opinion is that hull is way to small for that setup you got , that setup is more for like 35"+ hull and also .150 is to weak for that type power

It was good on 6s, I would imagine that 7s would be "ok", 8s I will just have to use some throttle control.

So if 150 wont cut it, 3/16th or wire drive?

jkypta
02-09-2012, 11:43 PM
i like that plan alot thats a great idea, i sunk my first boat a gas one in march like 4-5 years ago and it was misserble swimming and diveing 15ft looking but i finally found it, im gunna modify ur idea to use with a screwed on hatch. great idea tho

Serpents811
02-09-2012, 11:43 PM
It was good on 6s, I would imagine that 7s would be "ok", 8s I will just have to use some throttle control.

So if 150 wont cut it, 3/16th or wire drive?
def 3/16 wire but it will be more fun just to be able to drive it not fish it out cause it flips all the time

floatn turd
02-09-2012, 11:51 PM
def 3/16 wire but it will be more fun just to be able to drive it not fish it out cause it flips all the time

its solid with the 6s just need to go about 1/2 throttle, then punch it on the 8s cant do it "out of the hole"

thanks for the info. Do you know if someone offers a "a'' in 1" set for the 3/16? IE: shaft, liner, strut, ETC

Alexgar
02-10-2012, 12:18 AM
yout flex is fime i run a 6s boat around the same power i use hughet cables on a cc2200 on 5 and 6s throttle control is not enough my vee hulls run great under that power but my aaparition will jump a foot out of the water if i want but i think a bigger prop on 6S is the way to go amps are low??

Alexgar
02-10-2012, 12:21 AM
my apparition on 645 jumps out of the water on my cc 2200 run time is the issue im shopping lower kv motors

carlcisneros
02-10-2012, 12:26 AM
check with Ben at FC racing. I believe he has a kit that has everything you need.
also make sure the strut is adjustable for trimming purposes.

for floatation in the hull, get one of those cheapy white styro-foam coolers and cut slabs to fit your
bare spots inside the hull. also keep your battery packs adjustable for balancing purposes as well.

floatn turd
02-10-2012, 12:33 AM
check with Ben at FC racing. I believe he has a kit that has everything you need.
also make sure the strut is adjustable for trimming purposes.

for floatation in the hull, get one of those cheapy white styro-foam coolers and cut slabs to fit your
bare spots inside the hull. also keep your battery packs adjustable for balancing purposes as well.

I though about that but I didnt want to cut a big ol hole in the hull, if I do anything I think it will be the 2 part foam gig (unless the 2 part is crap), and I gave myself alot if "play" w/the batts for that reason.
I will check with Ben about the Kit, Thanks for the info.

floatn turd
02-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Alexgar,

Have you snapped many 150's on 6s?
Cause I think it might be too much torque for it (150) with the 1160kv and a big prop. So I think I will just take the safe route and go bigger on the flex.
I dont want to buy 150's every time i go out.

jasoncyclone
02-10-2012, 01:17 AM
yout flex is fime i run a 6s boat around the same power i use hughet cables on a cc2200 on 5 and 6s throttle control is not enough my vee hulls run great under that power but my aaparition will jump a foot out of the water if i want but i think a bigger prop on 6S is the way to go amps are low??

What motor are you running 6S on? What esc are you using? It sounds like you are using 6S on 2200kv?