PDA

View Full Version : Shortening Leads to Motor - Installing Seaking 180a

GTRhino24
02-09-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm replacing my stock ESC with a Seaking 180a, but the leads on the Stock Spartan motor (Castle 1800KV) are really long. Does anyone know if these are okay to shorten up? I've seen some other threads where it was a pain on different motors.

P.S. Any timing suggestions to start out with?

Boaterguy
02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
not worth the risk
you can shorten the ESC wires as much as you want.

Fluid
02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
The Castle motors with the silicone wires can be cut as short as you want, zero risk. In fact, shorter is better especially for high power use. Most other BL motors have the windings sticking out of the can, these cannot be shortened easily.

Fluid
02-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Guys, stop confusing the OP with your 'opinions' - you have no idea what you are talking about. The Castle motor does not have the windings coming out of the can, they are soldered to flexible silicone wires which exit the can. Castle instructions even say you can shorten the wires. Good thing too, as I set a SAW record with a Castle 1515 after cutting the motor wires to about 2" long. Gee, maybe I'd have gone faster than 88 mph if I hadn't cut them! :olleyes:

http://i39.tinypic.com/et7gab.jpg

carlcisneros
02-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Fluid;

Good to go man!!!!!!!!!!

Folks, Like Fluid said, do NOT confuse the guy, ok?

thanks

I have shortened the leads on my castle motors with the silicon wires as well.
No ill effects at all.

GTRhino24
02-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Yeah even though it was made for the spartan with the long leads, it's still a Castle and they definitely seem to be silicon wires. I'd rather shorten them than overshorten the ESC leads in the event that I put a Leopard in later. Thanks for the help guys. Any suggestions on a starting point for timing? 1800KV 6s1p 40C X442 Seaking 180a

Chrisg81983
02-13-2012, 05:53 AM
I shorten EVERY castle motor along with ESC and I had and all setups run flawless if you go on castle's site it says if it is ok or not to shorten the motor you are interested in doing it to, and if it is not there on that list all you half to do is call castle I like to ask for Joe ford but anyone there should know. thanks Chris g