PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing tube and shaft alignment issues...pics

DjFlipNautikz
02-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Well I was inspecting my mc and noticed it was really aligned. What can I do?
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w30/djflipnautikz/motley%20crew/f0af97da.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w30/djflipnautikz/motley%20crew/5a4cd562.jpg

Fluid
02-06-2012, 07:28 AM
There are several things wrong. Not only is the alignment poor, but your Teflon tubing is spinning inside the brass - bad. Remove the motor and gently try to bend the brass tubing upwards to align better with the coupler. You won't get it perfect but you should be able to improve it. Go slow and carefully and don't put a kink in it.

Remove the Teflon and clean out the brass tubing of oil etc. You may be able to re-use the Teflon, or not depending on how worn it is. Next time, be certain to lube the flex cable before each day at the pond, that will help to prevent this from happening.

Darin Jordan
02-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Looks to me like you could also remove the motor mount, open up the holes a size or to, and then you should be able to adjust it down a bit to align properly.

m4a1usr
02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Looks to me like you could also remove the motor mount, open up the holes a size or to, and then you should be able to adjust it down a bit to align properly.

That would be the easiest way, and what I second as well. But I have to ask the OP as to why he has the motor mount attached to the hull 180 degrees out? You have the motor mount turned backwards or to better explain it. The legs that attach the mount to the hull should be pointing towards the nose or the bow. Yours are pointing back towards the transom. Thats worsening the alignment issue and its creating a gap between the stuffing tube and the coupler. I had to cut my teflon liner on my UL1 as it was too long. Reverse the motor mount and see if it makes the alignment better. It should. Then you can elongate the holes if needed.

John

DjFlipNautikz
02-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Awesome I will do everything said. My MC came with the motor mount like that from factory.

Also I read that some people remove the Teflon from the tube and run it like that...is that better or worse? And should I at least trim the Teflon back a little?

Thanks for the help...

siberianhusky
02-16-2012, 09:23 AM
The alignment will change with a strut adjustment, there is so much flex to the bottom of the hull/tub when you raise the strut the motor end of the stuffing tube gets lower!

martin
02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
As John has said the motor mount is the wrong way round, reverse the mount 180degrees. That will then move the coupler closer to the stuffing tube & also lower the centre line of the motor more inline with the flex angle. Martin.

martin
02-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Appologies im getting confused with the UL1, the mount is the right way round on the Motley crew with the lugs facing towards the stern. Martin.

alvinm
02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Just for info, my brand new MC has the mount in the same configuration as in the photo.

DjFlipNautikz
02-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Yea I have seen a few other MC and they all had the mount as pictured. Because of the misalignment my Teflon liner is spinning INSIDE the stuffing tube. And everytime I regrease the flex it pushes the Teflon liner closer to the collet. I am going to order an adjustable bracket from kintecracing to see if that helps. Because the flex does not slide right into the
Collet if I don't push it up to slide in.

How can I bend the stuffing tube to et it aligned correctly?

DjFlipNautikz
02-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks a ton for that. I never thought of opening up the holes in the mount that sounds brilliant to me. I think that is the route i will take.

now the motor mount is actually mounted correctly. Here is a picture taken from the Aquacraft website showing the mount.
and here is my boat

JimClark
02-17-2012, 02:50 PM
You need to really ready the replies opening up the holes was suggested in post #3 by Darin

Thanks a ton for that. I never thought of opening up the holes in the mount that sounds brilliant to me. I think that is the route i will take.

now the motor mount is actually mounted correctly. Here is a picture taken from the Aquacraft website showing the mount.
and here is my boat

martin
02-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Looking at the picture theirs more wrong than just lowering the motor needed, the centre line through the motor & coupling is at a completally different angle to the angle through the stuffing tube. Lowering the motor line will not change the difference between the 2 different angles, it looks more like the stuffing tube is put in at the wrong angle or its been bent down some.

siberianhusky
02-17-2012, 06:34 PM
If you look at his other thread the strut angle is putting pressure on the stuffing tube and the flimsy bottom of the hull is flexing causing the stuffing tube to be misaligned like that. If he bends the stuffing tube under the boat he will take the pressure of the hull bottom and the inboard end of the stuffing tube should be closer to where it should be.
He'll also be able to get the strut adjusted properly that way.

siberianhusky
02-17-2012, 07:43 PM
STrut adjustment is not a warranty issue, all stuffing tubes with a flex cable need a bend to avoid having the cable whip inside the stuffing tube.

JimClark
02-17-2012, 07:50 PM
If you pulled the motor mount you cold shim under it also to adjust the height

DjFlipNautikz
02-29-2012, 11:40 AM
well i called aquacraft and they told me it has a 90-day warranty and they will replace the boat. i Think that is what i am going to do

longballlumber
02-29-2012, 12:45 PM
All you need to do is bend the motor mount a bit to align the flex shaft with the motor coupler...

Have you read thru this yet? http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?25689-Race-Prep-on-my-Crew-Hull&highlight=longballlumber

I had the same issue, take a look at post #10

Later,
mike