PDA

View Full Version : Mini Rio First thoughts

Steven Vaccaro
04-13-2008, 03:50 PM
My batch of Mini Rio's came in today. I have to say from first glance I'm impressed with the stock boat and the promise of being able to upgrade this boat easily.

Plus there's something to be said about being able to fit this in a suitcase to take on vacation with out an issue with space.

First the prop is plastic, measures 30mm in diameter and sits on a 3mm shaft. Octura 1/8" props will fit but be a little large. A piece of shrink wrap on the shaft or a wrap of tape around the shaft will take up the space.

The Mini Cat Racing USA has the mini hydro props that are carbon filled and fit 3mm props. So there is an abundance of sizes to try out.

The drive lined up to run in surface piercing! Another plus!

As for upgrades the cable is thin for brushless motors. I can't see it lasting a long time under bl power. I will be looking for upgrades for this area. The quickest choice is the Mini Cat Hydro Cable and shaft. The only issue with that is the drive dog. Its not tappered like the stock drive dog, so the mini Cat setup will be an area of large drag if thats not addressed.

I will be trying the stock motor first. I would like to try a 3s pack. Will have to wait and see if the stock electronics are up to the task?

Thats it for now.

Diegoboy
04-13-2008, 07:31 PM
The quickest choice is the Mini Cat Hydro Cable and shaft. The only issue with that is the drive dog. Its not tappered like the stock drive dog, so the mini Cat setup will be an area of large drag if thats not addressed.

I have recently come into the friendship of a club member that has a lathe. I can get a bevel put on one easily.

Steven Vaccaro
04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Its always nice to have a friend with machine tools!!

OJ racer
04-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey Steven, you said earlier you had just recieved your first batch of Mini Rios, does that mean OSE will stock them soon? I live close to Boston, so thanks to shipping times, I would definitely be an eventual buyer if you are going to carry them.

Steven Vaccaro
04-14-2008, 06:41 PM
I have them at the store now.

OJ racer
04-14-2008, 07:07 PM
When will they be on the net?

wamf
04-15-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm using a octura x431 and it fits fine. Using a solder gun I removed the cable from the shaft and inserted a .047 wire. Also found that some antenna tubes fit snug in the stuffing tube.
MikeV

Steven Vaccaro
04-15-2008, 06:33 AM
I'm using a octura x431 and it fits fine. Using a solder gun I removed the cable from the shaft and inserted a .047 wire. Also found that some antenna tubes fit snug in the stuffing tube.
MikeV good idea!! Did you use a solid wire? If so, this will really help with bl power!

wamf
04-15-2008, 09:40 AM
It is .047 piano wire. The cable seemed to be holding up well with 2s lipo. The reason I switched is that it was pulling a lot of water into the boat.
MikeV

Steven Vaccaro
04-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Mike good job with the upgrade! Did you glue the wire in the shaft or solder it?

wamf
04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Mike good job with the upgrade! Did you glue the wire in the shaft or solder it?

Steve I was planning on gluing it but wanted to try soldering first. I sanded the end of the wire to rough it up then cleaned it with electronics cleaner. Using a solder gun it worked really well, maybe because of the small diameter

Ran it today and only picked up a few drops of water. Now it's time to buy another boat.
MikeV

Steven Vaccaro
04-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info. Whats the next move?

wamf
04-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Whats the next move?

Ugh.... buy another boat I only want to go so far on this one and it sounds like someone else will do the full trick out.
I want something about 20" with BL and a long run time. Get your mind out of the gutter.
MikeV

Jesse J
10-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Was looking for a comparison of pond boats thread and seems most appropriate. I am looking at getting 3 identical boats for our pond (50' x 30') and am considering the options: mini cat, mini v and mini rio. Need to stay around $100 and RTR. I would like to have options of taking to larger ponds, and am thinking MiniRio, but like speed so MiniCat.

In anybody's opinion, what is best all around boat? and also allows for upgrades? How different are the MiniCat and MiniV as far as speed - would there be a distinct advantage if racing against each other?

Diegoboy
10-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Leaving it stock? get the Rio.
Brushless Mod? Mini-C or Mini-V.
Mini-C is a better hull all around, but harder to mod than the mini-V

I have modded all 3, If I were to do another one, It would be the Mini-C!

Jesse J
10-11-2008, 11:11 PM
leaving stock. How would you rate speeds for all three? mini rio fastest, cat next then v? or how?

Have you raced the mini c against the mini v? is there a speed advantage? My dad likes monos, I like cats we want to race but have pretty similar speeds - what do you think?

Diegoboy
10-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I think you hit it exactly right. Rio, C, V.
I never ran them together, but I think you'd have the advantage over the V.

Jesse J
10-12-2008, 10:49 AM
so if you had a small pond (50x30') what would you recommend for best turning at speed? We will also have 10 yr old drivers, so easiest to control and most durable and reliable.

My instinct would say cats, the cats and vees seem to cost the same.

What batteries would be a good upgrade?

thanks for the input!

Diegoboy
10-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Rio, because it's easy to run, and watertight! the other 2 will take on water