PDA

View Full Version : Seaking 180 ESC issues & problems when wet

Howard
02-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Hey Guys,
Seaking 180 ESC Issues

I just wanted to pass this along in case anyone else has experienced this.
After my boat flipped and partially submerged in the water I started experiencing strange things.

1) The boat didn't arm properly
2) When it armed it would not run at full throttle
3) The motor would just chatter at times.

After I pulled the ESC and was about to throw it out I decided to remove the plastic box/cover on the bottom.
Sure enough it had water in it. (It's suppose to be waterproof).
So I dried everything out and coated it with corrosion-X , I then siliconed the white gasket with black rtv silicone. Now she works fine.

So in case there are weird things going on after a water submersion check that lower section with the (4 screws to remove it) cover/white gasket. :Peace_Sign:

Howard

martin
02-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Seaking claim their esc to be water resistant & not waterproof, theirs a big difference between the 2. Most boat esc manufacturers only claim water resistant for this very reason, if you want them water proof you have to do that yourself.

Howard
02-05-2012, 08:17 AM
I do waterproof my esc's in fact I have two threads for 120 & 180's on how to do it

But Seaking does advertise as waterproof.

Here is there advertised features taken from seaking

2.1 Use top quality electronic components to enhance the current endurance ability of the ESC.
2.2 Special designed for RC boat, with excellent start-up, acceleration and linearity features.
2.3 With water cooling system and the whole ESC is waterproof to get a longer life.
2.4 With 2 running modes ("Forward" mode and "Forward/Backward" mode).
2.5 Multiple protection features: Low voltage cut-off protection for lithium or nickel battery / Over-heat protection / Throttle signal loss protection.
2.6 With 8 steps of timing adjustment, compatible with all kinds of sensorless brushless motors.
2.7 Swtching mode built-in BEC has a very powerful output even working with 6 cells lipo battery.
2.8 User programmable and compatible with the pocket-sized Digital LED Program Card (Optional equipment) to set the ESC easily.

jamespl
02-05-2012, 08:41 AM
I have a 120a that got a bit wet and the LVC seems to be cutting in early now!

norbique
02-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Howard,

please give us the link to the waterproofing how to's for the 120A and 180A. thank you!

Howard
02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Sure, No problem :Peace_Sign:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?31057-Seaking-120A-Waterproofing-and-installing-extra-Capacitors&highlight=seaking+waterproofing

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?30885-Seaking-180-ESC-Waterproofing&highlight=seaking+waterproofing

martin
02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
I trust OSE discription of water resistant which has proved to be more accurate.

norbique
02-05-2012, 03:12 PM
thanks!