PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber inlay service

keithbradley
02-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Ok guys, I'm offering this to OSE members now...

If you want a carbon fiber inlay done on your boat, I will do a boat 41" and under for $75. This does not include shipping, as you will pay for shipping to me, and then back to you. I have carbon fiber and silver texalium (known as silver carbon fiber) on hand and can order other custom carbon/kevlar/fiberglass weaves if you desire something else. (Some fabrics are more expensive and are subject to availability.) I also have the ability to make custom parts for your boat while I have it if you wish.

Note: The carbon fiber covers the under hatch area and a bit beyond (where strength and asthetics are most important), not the entire hull.

Here is a recent hull with carbon inlay:

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/Dwainescarbon.jpg
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/IMG_0069.jpg

JimClark
02-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Thread moved to services

h2o 1
02-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Do you make custom hardware?

keithbradley
02-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Do you make custom hardware?
If by hardware you mean rudders, stingers, ect., then no. I may do something like that down the road, but for now it's too expensive in comparison to China produced parts.

keithbradley
02-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Thread moved to services
Thanks Jim.
I assumed swap shop was the appropriate place since the guy sharpening props has a thread that's been there for a while.
For some reason I was thinking we needed permission to post in this section.

Bullwink
02-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Hi Keith,

Where are you located so I can calculate shipping costs from Phoenix? I have a Skunkworks 32 Cat Hull and a EKOS 34 Cat Hull. I have read your build thread on the EKOS - Sweet! I have ordered the motors and parts from Ben. Also, I have two questions for you. What stingers should I buy for the EKOS (The stock ones are $45) and where.? Also, I may want you to make some of the CF custom parts for both as well. If you did the ones you have already made, how much would they be? Thanks!

Kerry

keithbradley
02-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Im in michigan 48917.
Ill get back with you tonight when Im at my computer.
Thanks.

jfrank71
02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Good to hear you have gone public with your amazing services. I have a Miss Geico that is amazing. Bottom has been blueprinted and it runs great. I would like to CF the inside of the hull and the hatch. It still has all the wood from the factory. Would you be willing to remove the wood motor mount and battery trays or should I do it? How much? Thanks. Frank

keithbradley
02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi Keith,

Where are you located so I can calculate shipping costs from Phoenix? I have a Skunkworks 32 Cat Hull and a EKOS 34 Cat Hull. I have read your build thread on the EKOS - Sweet! I have ordered the motors and parts from Ben. Also, I have two questions for you. What stingers should I buy for the EKOS (The stock ones are $45) and where.? Also, I may want you to make some of the CF custom parts for both as well. If you did the ones you have already made, how much would they be? Thanks!Kerry

I think I used these stingers and converted them over to .150" flex:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12707__Adjustable_stinger_drive_Silver_.html

I used those just because I already had them though, not because they are anything special. Look around and see what you like. 70mm is about the length you will want.

I'm in Lansing, MI 48917. The carbon fiber inlay would be $75/boat. As far as custom parts, I can make motor mounts for the hulls while they are here if you are running twins (I don't really make single engine mounts, there's no need for them)...is that what you are asking about? I also made the low profile servo mount and ESC cover in the pic. Let me know what you are interested in. I have a thread on the Fighter Cat forums site in the boat building section with details on pricing for all those items if you want to check it out. Otherwise just PM me what you want and I'll give you a total cost.

keithbradley
02-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Good to hear you have gone public with your amazing services. I have a Miss Geico that is amazing. Bottom has been blueprinted and it runs great. I would like to CF the inside of the hull and the hatch. It still has all the wood from the factory. Would you be willing to remove the wood motor mount and battery trays or should I do it? How much? Thanks. Frank

I could remove the wood stuff if you want, it should come out fairly easily with the application of some heat. If they're something you want to keep (the wood mounts) you may want to do it yourself to assure they don't get broken (I don't know that they will but I haven't removed that stuff from a Geico, so I can't make any guarantees). It's easier for me if you take that stuff out, but I would assume they will take about 5 minutes to remove, so I'm not going to charge you anything for it either way.

It would be $75, plus shipping of course.
I don't normally do the hatch, because it is much more likely to interfere with your radio, but if you want it done that's not a problem either. Just remind me when you send it and I'll do the underside of the hatch too.

Bullwink
02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Great minds think alike because I ordered those exact stingers a few days ago. I figure for $10 each I couldn't go wrong. I checked on shipping from Phoenix to Lansing. Unfortunately, the quotes I got from USPS and UPS were about $40 one way. Does that sound right? Maybe you could check as well. I figure a 36x10x12 box at 5 - 6 lbs. total. $150 may be more than I want to spend. I will check out the thread of FC forum for the other parts.

Thanks for your response Keith!

keithbradley
02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
I just shipped a (built) 37" Daytona hull (pictured above) with motors and hardware in a 48x12x12 box, with lots of extra packaging to Washington state for $38.36 UPS. Washington is the MOST expensive of the lower 48 states to ship to from here, so Phoenix would definitely be less. I would say I can get it back to you for $25. I'm confident enough that I would be willing to cover the difference if I'm wrong.

I work for a business that does a lot of internet sales and of course shipping, so I ship from there via UPS and get business rates that way. It's possible that you may not get as good of a rate through UPS though. You could save a bit by sending both hulls at once.

Bullwink
02-06-2012, 10:01 PM
What would the turnaround time be approximately?

keithbradley
02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
What would the turnaround time be approximately?
If I'm just doing carbon fiber inlay, a few days to a week, depending how busy I am.

JimClark
02-06-2012, 10:18 PM
You are correct I just moved the prop thread also forgot about that one.
Thanks

Thanks Jim.
I assumed swap shop was the appropriate place since the guy sharpening props has a thread that's been there for a while.
For some reason I was thinking we needed permission to post in this section.

keithbradley
02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Anyone interested in having some silver hexcell texalium (silver carbon fiber) inlay done on their boat? I have some here and would like to do a hull with it.

Here's the deal:

*There would be no charge. You would be responsible for paying shipping of the hull to and from me, but I would not charge you for materials or labor.

* It could turn out to be a spectacular job, or it could be so-so. The purpose of this is to see how well I can do a boat with this material. It is stiffer than standard carbon fiber because it is infused with aluminum, and won't bend around corners as easily as carbon fiber. If it just flat out didn't work and I couldn't do the job with the silver fiber, I would do your boat in standard carbon fiber. I would make sure that you got something out of shipping the boat to and from me.

* Post here if you're interested. Let me know what kind of boat you have, what size, and the condition (new, used, ect.). I will only be doing one boat for free(not necessarily from this site).

dannybj26
02-10-2012, 04:02 PM
how much would a sv 27 be cf

keithbradley
02-10-2012, 08:52 PM
how much would a sv 27 be cf
$75 for any hull under 41"

jkypta
02-12-2012, 12:24 AM
i have a used blackjack26 im redoing it cuz the outside was beat up and the innards look like someone spray bombed it, if your intristed in doing it or if its even pheseable to stiffen up a blackjack im very intristed, im know for dumping alot of money into nothing lol BOAT bust out another thousand, Thanks

keithbradley
02-12-2012, 07:38 PM
i have a used blackjack26 im redoing it cuz the outside was beat up and the innards look like someone spray bombed it, if your intristed in doing it or if its even pheseable to stiffen up a blackjack im very intristed, im know for dumping alot of money into nothing lol BOAT bust out another thousand, Thanks

Yeah I can do it. If there's anything you need to remove before the carbon fiber is laid you would want to do so before shipping it. PM me when you're ready and I'll get you my shipping address and Paypal info.

Boaterguy
02-12-2012, 08:47 PM
keith, did you get your hands on a lynx?
how much would twin mounts (not water cooled of course) for 3126's be?

keithbradley
02-12-2012, 11:51 PM
keith, did you get your hands on a lynx?
how much would twin mounts (not water cooled of course) for 3126's be?
I plan on looking into it but I haven't yet. It looks to me like custom mounts with no water cooling are definitely going to be the best for your setup. There's not a lot of extra room to work with so you are going to want the freedom to angle and position the motors as you see fit during the building process. Check the "build services" section on the fighter cat forums. I have a thread there with custom motor mounts, low profile servo mounts, and ESC mounts/cover plates (I'm probably going to have a hatch holdown system I'll put on there soon as well). Also, in my Fantasm build thread I go over the process of installing the motor mounts.

I'll get in touch with you in regards to this in the next couple days. I have a few projects I'm dealing with now and I have to drive my wife's van into work tomorrow so I can stay late and fix her brakes, so it will probably be the next day before I know more.

You're gonna have a rocket on your hands there boaterguy...:cool:

Boaterguy
02-13-2012, 06:46 AM
yeah, it's gonna be pretty powerful, I've actually been looking around for less powerful motors but haven't found any, it would have been cheaper to just run these on 3S.
but I do have 5S packs that will take the load for a pass :w00t:
i'll go on your other thread and check out what you have, thanks.

Chrisg81983
02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Anyone interested in having some silver hexcell texalium (silver carbon fiber) inlay done on their boat? I have some here and would like to do a hull with it. Here's the deal:*There would be no charge. You would be responsible for paying shipping of the hull to and from me, but I would not charge you for materials or labor.* It could turn out to be a spectacular job, or it could be so-so. The purpose of this is to see how well I can do a boat with this material. It is stiffer than standard carbon fiber because it is infused with aluminum, and won't bend around corners as easily as carbon fiber. If it just flat out didn't work and I couldn't do the job with the silver fiber, I would do your boat in standard carbon fiber. I would make sure that you got something out of shipping the boat to and from me.* Post here if you're interested. Let me know what kind of boat you have, what size, and the condition (new, used, ect.). I will only be doing one boat for free(not necessarily from this site).

I will let u try it on a df 41 it is new I just ordered it from Steve last week thanks

Chris

keithbradley
02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I will let u try it on a df 41 it is new I just ordered it from Steve last week thanks

Chris
Thanks for the offer Chris. I actually have a couple of boats to do with the silver texalium, so I don't need any more for trials. I'm actually quite certain it will work fine on a Mono, it was more of a concern of whether or not I could get it to properly bend around the tunnel and sponsons of a catamaran.

I would be interested in doing your df though, $75 for either silver or standard carbon fiber.

Chrisg81983
02-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Ok sounds good what is your turn around time if i send it out Sunday night

keithbradley
02-16-2012, 10:43 PM
It only takes me a day or two. Give me three days once the hull reaches me (the third day is for drying time before shipping), and I'll ship it back to you the next business day, if not earlier (unless there's an unusual circumstance).

keithbradley
02-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Here's a pic of some current work. I'm obviously doing more than just an inlay, but it looks great either way...
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/IMG_0202.jpg

Chrisg81983
02-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Wow looks great man I would also like to talk to you about a few other things after seeing that last pic I will keep in touch I just want to get a few layouts I would like like to see about you doing some work on a aeromarine .90 sprintcat as well. like batt. Trays and servo mount in both hulls and then cf matting in he df 41 as the cat has it already

thanks
Chris g

Bullwink
02-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Keith,

I just got notified that the parts I have been waiting for my EKOS Twin Build have just been shipped by FighterCat. I would like you to not only do the CF inlay but do the whole build for me, if you still offer that service.

keithbradley
02-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Keith,

I just got notified that the parts I have been waiting for my EKOS Twin Build have just been shipped by FighterCat. I would like you to not only do the CF inlay but do the whole build for me, if you still offer that service.

Ohh...another EKOS? The last one I built was one of my favorite boats of all time!
I would be happy to do it.
Take a look at this thread for some of the build options and let me know what you want:
http://fightercat57.freeforums.org/custom-carbon-fiber-products-t547.html

The boats pictured in this thread have the following:
- Carbon fiber inlay
- Carbon fiber motor mounts
- Carbon fiber low pro servo mounts and servos (I have a few servos on hand as well)
- Carbon fiber ESC cover plates

Bullwink
02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I will definately want your motor mounts. I bought the stock EKOS servo mount 'cause I thought the red would look cool. We can discuss the other options when I receive everything.

keithbradley
03-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Bullwink's EKOS:
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/227.jpg

keithbradley
03-12-2012, 12:08 AM
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/020.jpg

HydroMike
03-12-2012, 03:03 AM
Hey can u make or get flat sheets not mm, but between 1/32" to a 1/16" thick, sizes of about 1-12"*26" and 2-6"*32" LMK and if so PM me some prises please thanks

keithbradley
03-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Some recent work:

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/shockerfinalinsidepics005.jpg

Chrisg81983
04-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Hey Keith can you sell me some cf sheet and some cf cloth as well or let me know where to get some of good quality the last place I bought it it was poorly made

Thanks chris g

keithbradley
04-01-2012, 11:46 AM
What exactly do you need Chris?
Also, where did you buy last time. If it was poor quality, post the source so others don't get burned.

Hey Keith can you sell me some cf sheet and some cf cloth as well or let me know where to get some of good quality the last place I bought it it was poorly made

Thanks chris g

Chrisg81983
04-01-2012, 12:12 PM
I need a 12 x 12 inch sheet about 1/8 thick or 4 mill then a 4 x 4 foot piece of cloth or whatever you can spare and how much it would cost I just would like to keep some set aside for when I do need it and I bought the last items on eBay off of somebody as they took pictures of something and sent me something different as the quality was much less I will try to dig up the persons name and thanks a lot for your time Chris g

keithbradley
04-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Chris:

A 12" x 12" pre-made plate will run you a little over $100 + shipping. Cloth is fairly affordable if you use the regular dry twill. I like to use a special pre-preg carbon fiber fabric that is infused with resin, but it's fairly expensive and it's a delicate item that must be stored at a precise temperature (frozen) until used.

You can order pre-made plate and fabric from these guys, they also have other things like tubing and rod if you happen to need anything else:
http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=75

I need a 12 x 12 inch sheet about 1/8 thick or 4 mill then a 4 x 4 foot piece of cloth or whatever you can spare and how much it would cost I just would like to keep some set aside for when I do need it and I bought the last items on eBay off of somebody as they took pictures of something and sent me something different as the quality was much less I will try to dig up the persons name and thanks a lot for your time Chris g

Chrisg81983
04-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Ok cool I will definitely get some as I half to put it off for a few days just lost a sf 240 Hv controller today at the lake I emailed Steve s let's see what he can do for me but I will need money to buy one if he can't help thanks for your time Keith

h2o 1
09-30-2012, 03:27 AM
Are you still offering this service Keith?

Livewire121
12-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Hi Keith,
I know its $75 for the inlay, less the shipping and handling. You did an Ekos build some months ago and I was wondering if you could PM me the
pricing for another Ekos build. The difference between that build and mine would be, that I'd like to keep it a wire driveline. The build pricing would be for
The following;
Carbon fiber inlay $75
ESC Cover plate
Servo mount
Motor mounts
Hardware installation
Shipping/Handling

I look forward to your reply
Thanks Richard