PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a buggy/truggy/SC?

Mattwarner
02-04-2012, 02:33 PM
As the weather is rubbish in the UK there is no chance of me getting the boat out so I am after a road based toy, ive already done up my Associated RC10 graphite with brushless which is fun on the road but not very good on the fields/rough stuff, I also want to run on paddles down the beach, I like the look of the following but would like some recommendations either specific or general,

Kyosho inferno ve
Traxxas slash
Hpi e-firestorm
Hpi trophy

Thanks

NativePaul
02-05-2012, 01:19 AM
I have/had a "Hot bodies lightning 2" buggy which had its name changed to "hpi trophy" when hot bodies released the D8, it's the .21 glow version bought and converted before there were factory electric 1/8ths available. It is heavily influenced by the kyosho inferno to the point that there is some parts compatibility, I bought the pro version of the lightning for less than I could have got the sport version of the inferno which makes it a lot tougher (7075 chassis, towers & uprights instead of 6061 or plastic), if the same is still true I would rule out the inferno as your not racing (the inferno is a little lighter).

I found that the grass in the local park is only short enough for buggy wheels about half the time and after a while I rarely took it down there to check and it spent most of its time on-road. As I like scale I fitted it with a rallygame body and used it on roads mainly but also mud, and short grass in this guise it was very much like a 4x4 Slash, though better built, sturdier, more powerful and heavier, I loved it like that being a jack of all trades for ages, but after a while I started regretting being the master of none and turned the lightning into a full on road car and bought a second hand glow truggy roller and converted it, I only did this a year or so ago and there were factory electrics available but as I have some electric gear already it was much cheaper, I think I spent around £150 (+ ESC gets swaped between the 2) (plus batteries, both use all my old boat 4s packs when I retire them), Personally I really dislike the look of truggies, but it is so much better through long grass and soft mud with its ridiculously huge tyres that I can forgive it for having ridiculously huge tyres sticking out and offending my eyes.

If you already have a great car for on-road, and can forgive its ugliness a truggy will compliment it by being universally great off-road no matter what the surface in a way that no buggy or slash can be.

For running on a beach I would recommend the Mtronics Beast ESC , rather than the castle that I use or the slash uses or whatever comes with the trophy or inferno, conformal coating is nice to have if you splash through the odd puddle but if it wears off a corner and a drip of saltwater gets in there its had it, but the Beast is sealed inside a waterproof case.

slapahondn
02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I really like 1/8 scale buggys. They are great on and off road and are totally capable of 100+ mph speeds. I know ofna makes a kit that all you need to do is put on your electronics so you can choose how you want to set it up.

Mattwarner
02-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Thanks, 1/8 is probably a little large but i will take a look. I did like the look of the HPI Bullet ST Flux so this may be a winner

sanyijr
02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks, 1/8 is probably a little large but i will take a look. I did like the look of the HPI Bullet ST Flux so this may be a winner

I agree. That Flux looks great! HPI make some nice stuff. I have the old SR4 Drifter 0.18 Nitro from like....1990-ish. Still runs GREAT. Has 100+ hours on it. Only thing replaced is the pullcord so far. Ran it last weekend. Love HPI!!!

Sean

jkr
02-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I like 2 cars:
1) The new losi scte very nice and many other follow them with the alu chasis
2) JQ The Car excelent buggy and with the Tekno conversion for electric awsome.
Btw Joseph makes test for an electric version and he says that the tekno is the best convercion for now.