PDA

View Full Version : What size lipos to run? What C rating?

Rok Krawl
02-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Do most of you run 7.4V packs in series? Or is there any benefit to double up to 14.8V packs in parallel?

I don't boat as much as other toys. In fact just run at meets down in crosby with some great guys.

Currently run a set of Turnigy 7.4v lipo packs. But I want something better as these tend to die sooner than later.

To keep the boat light I would assume most run two 7.4V packs at 5000mah. Running the boat constantly with 10,000mah with 14.8v parallel setup seems a bit overkill. In racing aspect, never would get close to 10k mah battery runs.

With no intentions to mod the boat and use it as it is, I can't decide if I should go with hyperion 45c packs or spend a bit more and get some thunder power 65c packs.

Now higher the number the better of course. But in a stock AQ MC, is 65c really needed?

Make-a-Wake
02-04-2012, 05:33 AM
You dont mention your current C rating...................You can try 40-45c in the turnigy/Zippy's if you are using less C now.

You can also try two of these 4000 4s batts in parallel for 8000 mah, it's what i run in my pursuit

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16183__Turnigy_4000mAh_4S_40C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Ware house_.html

siberianhusky
02-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Gens ace 5300mah 30c 2s packs, have lasted really well, never heat up in a stock setup. perfect runtimes.
You do not need high C packs in one of these, you won't see 100 amps being drawn, if you did you'd be replacing parts!
I haven't had the best luck with turnigy or zippy batteries, Just checked all my batteries a week ago and one of my turnigy packs had a cell at 0v for some reason, the other side was still at storage level. Got a season out of those packs, so far the Gens Ace and Enerlands I bought at exactly the same time are going strong.
So in my informal battery test the turnigy's were the first to fail. Second one in a couple of years that has died, so no more for me, none were abused. Just crap batteries.

Doby
02-04-2012, 09:43 AM
General rule of thumb with any LiPo purchase: get the highest C rating and capacity that will fit in your application and you can afford.

Rok Krawl
02-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Thanks all for the input. Packs I run are Turnigy 40c 5000mah. But once again they are Turnigy. For all I know they could be 20c or 30c. They are hard case packs I use for my brushless 1/8th scale buggy.

Each run time I use up 3200mah. Packs just swell up and open the cases they are in. Then they shrink back down to normal size. I am just sure pushing these 25.00 packs, they will go out soon. So out looking for higher quality packs.

Does anyone know the history on Hyperion packs? Never knew bout them till I joined here and saw guy running them at pond.

Just have used thunder power for a long time in micro planes and other applications so I know they produce quality packs. Plus down the road I can turn in and get 40% off a new set.

I am more looking to the racing aspect of it all. To stay out in front, gotta have the best gear, and of course be a good driver.