PDA

View Full Version : Pibber plans?

sft2
01-31-2012, 08:15 PM
I've been wanting to build a PBR for years, even bought the Tamiya static kit with the insane idea of converting it to RC. Not a good plan for a first boat, really. The thing is pretty small, but there's a ton of room under the deck and the cabin could very easily be modified to attach with magnets. The aft deck could be cut in a couple of spots to give access to stuff under there, too. I chickened out before modifying anything, though.

So now, a couple of years later, I'm wanting to build one again. The only kits I've seen have been much, much bigger than I'd like (around 32" would be nice, 1:12 scale). Does anyone know of any drawings available? 1:12 scale would, obviously, be perfect, but I can scale as needed. I don't need plans, really, just cross sections I can use to build a plug for a hull mold, the rest is pretty simple and can be done in wood, brake line tubing (steel is easier to weld than aluminum), and canvas. The hard part would be the jet pumps. I may cheat there and use surface or stern drives. Maybe even a v-drive with a rudder, with fake jet pump nozzles hung off the transom. I could possibly convince a friend to get his CNC mill back together to make a rotor and housing, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. The crew is easy. A trip to the toy store will get me a few 6" action figures, and if they're in the wrong uniform they'll get a repaint.

I'd love to build one in 1:6th since there's a ton of scale stuff available there, but I just don't have room to store a 5', 75 pound boat, and I most certainly can't pick the thing up to put it in the water.

To clarify the boat in question, here's a pic.

JimClark
01-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Another slightly different one

sft2
01-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Haven't seen that type before. I knew there were some variations on the theme over the last few decades, which is why I added the pic to my post.

One of the fun parts of building the static model was all the extra stuff in the cockpit. Beer bottles/cans that came with the kit, including a cooler, a tiny chart I printed and folded up, and a centerfold from 1968 stuck on the door to the cabin. I attempted to make a carton of cigarettes, but couldn't fold it right. I think that model is 1:32 scale, so a 1:12 scale will be a ton of fun. I'll wind up spending weeks cluttering the place up with soldier stuff. I even have some swarf off the lathe that looks about like M2 links. 40mm grenade cases will take a while, but I'll have to turn a few of those and stick 'em in the corners.

Diegoboy
02-01-2012, 01:06 AM
PBR MkII

1/10 Scale Length: 37" (http://www.loyalhannadockyard.com/DYNPBR.htm)

1/12 Scale Length: 32" (http://www.franksmosquitoboathobbies.com/pbr.htm)

ice_spy
02-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Another slightly different one
This is not a PBR its a LSSC ( Light Seal Support Craft). Dragon models make one in 1/35 same as the tamiya PBR.
However heres what i think your trying to do... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356919

I really like Vietnam era stuff, ugly war, but most interesting for me.

jevmax
02-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Here's a scale PBR from my collection. It's powered by two jet drives (just like the real boats) driven by brushed 700 motors. The boat looks and performs just like the real McCoy.

ice_spy
02-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Nice! what is the scale? or the lenght / width ? Did you have to add ballast to get it to draw as much water as the real thing?
Would like to build an rc Program 5 monitor river boat..
71314 aka "Tango"

JimClark
02-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Jim more info please that is very cool

Here's a scale PBR from my collection. It's powered by two jet drives (just like the real boats) driven by brushed 700 motors. The boat looks and performs just like the real McCoy.

jevmax
02-26-2012, 08:13 PM
My PBR is about 12" wide and 33" long. The hull is fiberglass, but I'm not sure of the origin. No additional ballast was added, and the jet drives move the boat very swiftly. The weight of all those NimH packs keep it sitting just right in the water. I believe these were available as kits a few years back. Definitely a cool boat.

JimClark
02-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Just found these plans on ebay may order a set for myself

ice_spy
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks Jim, think i'll buy a set too, im sure the guy has more than 1 set of plans.
may look at making a plug and popping out a few hulls for sale. Would be good to get the gel coat finished in OD.
If i had time and money, a 1/2 scale cruising around the water ways near my home would turn a few heads! lol. would be trailable @ 15ft long too! Although would have to be dis-armed, Dont think the water police here would appreciate a set of dummy 50cals, m60 and a morta. hahaha. maybe just make the front turrent a game chair armed with two boat rods, the morta a yabbie pump and the rear m60 a trolling rod. The fish will never see me coming.

JimClark
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
here is more
http://www.franksmosquitoboathobbies.com/pbr.htm
Just noticed there was no link in my previous post I found them on ebay and pasted it into the message not sure what happened.

JimClark
02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
http://www.hartmanmodelboats.com/DYNPBR.htm

RandyatBBY
02-27-2012, 08:11 PM
This thread makes me want to watch the "gun channel":wink::olleyes:

ice_spy
02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Or 'Apocalypse Now'......for the 50th time.:wink:

JimClark
02-28-2012, 11:20 PM
here are the plans on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360437980194

ice_spy
02-29-2012, 03:25 AM
thanks jim. ordered a set. but looks like the link to the semi built kit would be worth the $$. my projects seem to take me months insted of weeks these days. will check out the plans when i get them but think ill put my funds to powering my cat project 1st.
Sft2. your not crazy thinking to make the 1/35 tamiya pbr rc. i had pondered the thought myself. there is a vid of one done on ebay. looks cool. ill post up the link for you.

ice_spy
03-17-2012, 07:53 AM
got the pans, very detailed and well drawn. At 1/12 scale this boat is huge! 1/10th would be massive. they may look small in photos but these boats are like 30ft long.
local hobby shop got 50% off, so im thinking to build this pbr out of hobby grade ply.
Dam i would love to buy a hobby cnc. $800AU on ebay.