PDA

View Full Version : King of shaves p1

DK535
01-31-2012, 08:01 PM
I guess I'm a newb at this but I'm trying to find out what drive dog or what options I have to changing this prop. I have a 640x that I want to run but it fits to loose and the drive dog teeth are to small. I purchased a 3/16 drive dog but the whole is to large for the flex shaft and its loose!! Any suggestions?

lenny
01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
I think you needed this one,http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-2321
Some times on this boat they change the hole drive setup to .150 or .187 for a better setup.

antslake
02-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I think you needed this one,http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-2321
Some times on this boat they change the hole drive setup to .150 or .187 for a better setup.

That is the wrong drive dog. The drive shaft of the P1 is not threaded.
There is a sleeve you can buy: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-1030
That will adapt your 3/16 prop to the 4mm drive shaft. You can just use the stock drive dog, I can't find the right drive dog that you need on OSE. The whole 4mm setup is a pain to get parts for, and also not very good at supporting larger props. Do not go over 4S either as you are already going to be drawing more amps than the stock ESC is rated for. Mine held up well under the extra stress, and Venom told me that it would, but crapped out once the spikes got up around 120amps, and the constant at 90-100amps.
Do yourself a favor, because you are going to be doing it anyway, and get a 3/16 stinger, and upgrade the shaft and flex cable, and ESC while you are at it. Otherwise just stick to smaller props, like a x438. The x640 would be fine at 3S on the stock drive system.

So far on mine I have upgraded the flex to a wire drive, 3/16 stinger, reinforced the hull with a layer of glass on the inside(because the hull will start cracking at these greater speeds), 180 sea king 180 amps ESC, fighter cat 2200kv motor (the stock motor is great too), digital hitec steering servo(because I blew the original one wiring it wrong to a new receiver). I also cut the rudder off the stinger and offset it, made a big difference in handling. What you can't find on OSE, you might find on fighter cat racings page.

DK535
02-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Wow thanks for all the help I appreciate it. Just joined yesterday. Wasn't aware of this site. Antslake sounds like your p1 flies!!! Also sounds like I have a lot to get! Lol.

DK535
02-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Is that what I need a 4mm drive dog? I have scene some on other sites.

antslake
02-01-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't think they make the 4mm drive dog in the larger sizes to match the propeller. I am not an expert though. I think I just used the smaller one. Once the prop engages the "teeth" it should be fine. Read through the rest of the threads in this forum, and you will learn a lot about this boat.

I think when I used the larger x640 prop, I used a 4mm drive shaft that steps up to a 3/16, and then use the correct drive dog. Wholt racing sells them. But what will happen is the tiny bearing in the 4mm stinger will start failing often.

DK535
02-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Ok sounds good. I'm checking out that site right now. I appreciate the help.