PDA

View Full Version : BJ26 Taking onboard 1-2 cups of water - Help !!

Fade2Gray
04-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Everyone,

As the title says, my blackjack is taking 1-2cups of water inside the hull. I am stumped as to what would be causing this?? In an attempt to determine the problem(s), here is what l have done to date;

1. Placed in the BJ in the bath tub for over an hour - Result: No water had entered inside the hull - not a drop

2. Powered up the BJ (while holding it with hands) to see if the water is coming through the brass tube - Water did not come out of the brass tube.

3. Tested the water cooling tubes by unplugging the tube from the outside rudder and blowing a mouth full or two of fresh water through the tube - Result: no water had leaked out from any of the tubes going in & out of the motor and ESC.

In performing the above tests, l have also pressed the hull deeper into the water and at different angles - Again, it made no difference and still l was not able to see any water coming inside the hull.

l have taped all around the hull lid using 2 inch tape.

I am completely stumped as to what is causing so much water be left inside the hull after a 6-7 minute run on the lake.

I would be grateful to hear from the experts out there as to what would be causing this.

Many thanks in advance.

Fluid
04-13-2008, 08:17 AM
This can be a frustrating problem for boaters. There are only a few ways in which water will enter the hull, including:

1 - through the hatch
2 - through the stuffing tube
3 - through the rudder linkage
4 - through a breech in the hull

The hatch is a common path for water. 2" wide tape os not the answer, use a tape that has a better chance of forming a seal. Just for testing, try vinyl electrical tape. Tape up the hatch and hold the boat completely under water for 30 seconds. Check for bubbles, then for water inside.

Up the stuffing tube is very common path, and it often requires forward motion and/or turning to initiate - holding still in the tub may not replicate the problem. As a test, use stiff grease on the shaft and see if this helps when running. If so, then there are other remedial actions to take.

Holding the model under water should indicate if the rudder linkage is the source. This should also show leaks in a hull breech. Still, the most likely is the stuffing tube. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Stealth Assassin
04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
You will need to test with more pressure than a mouth full of water on your water cooling. Try a water hose fitting that has a 3/16 outlet. You might be able to get one at wall-mart.

You could have a pin hole In the water line that takes alot of pressure to leak.

Not to much pressure but, more than a mouthfull. You would have to be a really hard blower... ;)

Also a small short cone tip nozzle works ok to

PropNutt43
04-13-2008, 12:37 PM
:iagree: with Stealth Assassin and Fluid.

I found this hatch tape from Fullers site really works great.
It's at the bottom of the page:

/http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/hardware.htm (http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/hardware.htm)

Also if it is coming thru the stuffing tube try using a some rubber fuel line along with the grease. This seals it even better and won't wash away.

Both have worked great at keeping water out of my boat.

Apples1
04-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey, fade,

Spoke to Andrew last night, and he had the same proplem with 1 -2 cups of water when he first started, tried everything like you, the only way he found the leak was when he had the motor and ESC out he fillen the hull with water, which created negitve pressure in the hull and he found the leak instantly,

So maybe when you do the motor swap, fill her up.

Good luck

Also when you get a chance check this out.

http://ampba.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1645

john