PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 30" vee.........souping up a classic!

Make-a-Wake
01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
I just had to have this 20 year old 30" MRC 'Nordic' runabout i noticed on ebay, it's nearly flawless, must have been in a closet for most of its life. Some may have noticed by my old Villains that i love the vintage hulls as i think they look more "scale" and have a bit more character to them. This is obviously not a racing boat, but modding them for sport boating is a great pleasure for me. Came with a 540 size brushed motor which is surely a classic with its red endbell, and has a 1:9 to 1 set of brass gears. It came originally with a mechanical speed control(which he sent me) and was upgraded to a 60a brushed controller at some point. Has a real nice 75mhz toggle radio that works with the new setup due to it having throttle and steering reversing.

I'm thinkin' there are some of you that may appreciate it or possibly even remember it.

Pics of how it came and what i have done. Will take her out for the first time tomorrow!!

Make-a-Wake
01-28-2012, 07:42 PM
More pics, running a fairly mild 1500kv motor on 4s with a Proboat 60a ESC.

gsbuickman
01-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Sweet bro, nothing looks as good as a vintage scaler' . This thing must of been in a time capsule, damn I like it.

Make-a-Wake
01-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Sweet bro, nothing looks as good as a vintage scaler' . This thing must of been in a time capsule, damn I like it.

Yeah..........it really is nice, colors still so vivid and not a crack/chip on it!:banana:

Make-a-Wake
02-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Well, she ran real crappy with the stock submerged drive and large plastic prop.........bouncy and tipping side to side.........so I'm goin' stinger and surface drive!:smile:

Have to perform some major surgury on the bottom, need to remove the bulb and shaft mount, plus fill in where the rudder was.

Its such a pretty and cool boat that i really dont want to just toss it aside. I have an inexpensive 1800kv motor to run on 4s........

Make-a-Wake
02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Got some more done, this is really coming along well.:biggrin:

Make-a-Wake
03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Well..............here she is. My son shot the vid and its a bit wiggly.............motor and ESC were barely warm.

This cool scaler ended up just as i had hoped, a mid-speed, solid runner that's fun to drive!

:thumbup1:

KDLaHJTQvwE