PDA

View Full Version : swordfish 240 HV. brand new never touched to water and its smoking

Aquahollic
01-25-2012, 04:50 PM
I borught a new swordfish 240hv esc, And as soon as I hooked it up, It stared somking. Iv double cheacked every thing before I powered it up couse it coast me $300 , and as I pluged the battery (6s) in it stated smoking. The smoke was comeing form one of the tiny black Circuits or what every they are. Is this a common fault or is it a one in a million.

Boaterguy
01-25-2012, 05:29 PM
talk to castle, the circuit thingy is either a microprocessor or a FET, possible a capacitor (things sticking out the end).
you are likely to get your money back, are you using a no spark resistor?

RandyatBBY
01-25-2012, 05:49 PM
The Swordfish is not made by Castle.

Gary
01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the boaters world !!!! This is the nature of the beast. I have had ESC's last a couple years getting them wet,pushing the voltage limit and what not and they work perfect. Then you get the ones that go out 25 feet, smoke on the bench, or dont work at all. If you stay into it long enough you will see it all. The only advise I can give tou is to buy a spare of everything if you can aford it. I have 3 240HV ESC's , spare recievers, radio, props, driveshafts you name it. It cost more money but normally, eccept for motors, am back running the next day. Being down is 50% of the hassle. The other 50% is money, IMO.

Boaterguy
01-25-2012, 06:23 PM
The Swordfish is not made by Castle.
oops lol
okay, talk to steven (if you bought it from him)
if not, talk to the seller or manufacturer.

Diegoboy
01-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Did you have all three receiver wires plugged in or just the brown and orange?

Steven Vaccaro
01-25-2012, 07:11 PM
I think you should contact the person that you bought it from so they can fix the issue.

Aquahollic
01-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks, every one I took it back and got it worked out, It wasnt the capasitors it was a little resister or something. but ill get it stored soon, and also I have a tin of CRC urethane seal coat, and it says for motor and generator winding coating insulator/ electonic isulator. could I use it to water proof my esc, as anyone else used it.