PDA

View Full Version : RX Battery purpose

worriedsick4u
01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
I have been reading alot of threads but nobody has posted the purpose of a rx battery. Advantages and disadvantages?

Fluid
01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Until recently the BEC on most ESCs was noisy and could cause problems with radio reception. I used a receiver battery for 20 years and had no such problems. But recent stand-alone BECs, and some BECs that are included in some ESCs are very good and preclude the need for a battery. Combined with the new 2.4 radios these eliminate the risk. I have had zero receiver issues with the Castle ICE controllers I've been running for about two years.

OTOH, some BECs don't deliver much in the way of amps, and if you are running a big servo or a digital one you need to make certain the BEC can deliver a minimum of 5 amps. If not, use a 5-cell NiMH receiver pack of at least 1400 mAh capacity or a 7.4 volt 800 mAh capacity LiPo pack. Either needs to have large gauge wire.

Punisher 67
01-25-2012, 07:31 PM
I have used the Turnigy high volt / high amp bec now for the 3rd season on 3 boats and not a single issue ever - I am done with reciever batteries on anything

worriedsick4u
01-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. No rx