PDA

View Full Version : What Size prop should I be using?

Bubblegoose
01-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Hi Guys,

This is my setup:

36-74Size 2075kv
120A Turnigy Aqua Star
4S 40C 5000mah Lipo
Genesis 1045mm Catamaran Hull
4mm driveline

I have heard of a few people using the Octura X440 as well as the Octura X640 props.

What would the difference be in terms of speed and load between the two?

And where would be a good place to buy either of them?

iamandrew
01-22-2012, 07:15 PM
the difference is that the 640 has more pitch than the 440, so in other words, the blades are more "sideways" rather than "up and down" when you look at the prop side on when its on your drive shaft.
I ran the 642 with the stock drive setup and the stock motor for a few runs and didnt have any problems at all .
Just keep regreasing after every run and it will hold out
I bought my props from kintec racing. they are from the USA.
I live in australia though
i thin ktheres a guy that runs a shop called RC boat Blitz or somthing here in aus.

Bubblegoose
01-22-2012, 10:20 PM
The shaft I have is 4mm, which means a 3/16 size prop wont fit (the x440 x640 etc) is there some kind of adapter you can get to make up the extra .7 of a mm to the 3/16 size?

srislash
01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Yup,here it is http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-1030

Gimp
01-22-2012, 10:30 PM
If you're going to run a big prop, you may want to go with a larger flex and drive (.187 flex - 3/16 drive)

Bubblegoose
01-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Going for a larger flex and drive, would that mean I need a new strut as well? I would also need to get a new outer casing for the flex drive (whatever they are called) I would presume.

Any recommendations of what parts would be best suited? It seems kintec racing have a range of things I would need (except for the 4mm - 3/16 shim I want it would seem lol)

Gimp
01-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Fighter Cat actually sells a kit with EVERYTHING you'll need. Great deal for everything that's there.
http://fightercatracing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=165&category_id=44&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

You may need to create an account to see the add.

Bubblegoose
01-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks for that Gimp, Singed up but apparently its out of stock currently.

But its great info and shows all the parts I would need to get to complete the upgrade so I don't miss anything.

Gimp
01-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks for that Gimp, Singed up but apparently its out of stock currently.

But its great info and shows all the parts I would need to get to complete the upgrade so I don't miss anything.

Send Ben an email if you're interested, he may have everything in stock, just not packaged together.

Bubblegoose
01-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Send Ben an email if you're interested, he may have everything in stock, just not packaged together.

Thanks Gimp I will have a look at each part and see if they are in stock individually, and then send him an email. I also noticed they have some other "upgrades" for the genesis, such as an offset rudder. Is that more for oval racing? or would it give more speed getting the rudder out of the wash?

Gimp
01-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Little bit of both actually. I had my boat built by Scott (Tiqueman), he says with that hull you'll only see a very very very slight increase in corner speed. Wasn't really worth the money or the look in my opinion.

Bubblegoose
01-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah I kinda like the look of having it the center. I had a look on fightercat and it seems the page for the "3/16 collet" is not found, so not sure if that mean's it's no longer carried or if there is just an issues with the website. But all the other parts of the kit look to be in stock.

Gimp
01-22-2012, 11:24 PM
He has a few, not sure which one it is (didn't look)
http://fightercatracing.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=23&Itemid=1

Bubblegoose
01-24-2012, 05:42 AM
OK Guys, I have ordered a few things, and I will have to see how I go. I went for the X642, as well as the X440/3 (I have the X440 already, want to compare the drive with the tri blade). I didn't get the flex upgrade just yet, I figured I will see how hard I can push this before it gives in. And just replace it all then, this was really just a starter boat to get into it, but I really like the hull.
I have been thinking about doing a scratch build of the same hull design (mystic C5000), and build a much larger scale Miss Geico out of Carbon Fibre. I'm thinking of doing some custom metal/gear work, and making it twin stinger/prop, with two centre (above the tunnel) mounted motors (facing each other, with an aluminium gearbox to distribute the power) thus leaving the hulls to house 2x 6S 8000mah batteries I can throw in series (this may change, I might run 4x 3s packs in series to distribute weight lower in the hulls, but it will end up a 44.4v boat. I will see what I can fit and how it effects weight. I just want it to remain a great handling hull.

Ok now we are passed that wall of text. I have a question, what's the best way to lube up the flex cable? Remove the strut, and loosen it at the collet? Or do I have to take the entire motor out of its mount? I can't really see any other way to go about doing it. :ThumbsDown01:

Bubblegoose
02-07-2012, 06:55 AM
So my tube has sheered off where it goes into the strut. Time for me to order a larger drive system, and treat it with respect lol. I have been running the x440, and it has been fantastic on the boat. I am scared to see how fast it will go with the X642 prop on there. And I will need to fix my water cooling issues before the prop goes on. Temps on the ESC are getting into the high 40's and the motor high 30's.