PDA

View Full Version : Can you really tell a difference?

Rok Krawl
01-22-2012, 02:59 PM
So all of you that have ran cheaper batteries like Turnigy in your boats, and then have invested in some high quality lipos like Hyperion, Thunder Power, or any other quality batteries out there, can yall tell the difference in your boat? Is there a major difference in performance?

Just trying to get some opinions.

Drax21
01-22-2012, 03:47 PM
So all of you that have ran cheaper batteries like Turnigy in your boats, and then have invested in some high quality lipos like Hyperion, Thunder Power, or any other quality batteries out there, can yall tell the difference in your boat? Is there a major difference in performance?

Just trying to get some opinions.

I have both normal Turnigy batteries and Nano-Tech batteries both 35c. The Nanos cost more and give more power. I also recently bought a Winmax battery which cost me more than both of Turnigy's and that had lower resistance and better quality control. Performance was a bit less than the Nano's but the battery was only 30c instead of the 35c. The cells will last longer though because of the resistance. I don't think its a major difference in performance to how the cells behave and the quality of the battery for example a Nano Tech can give the same power as a Hyperion but the Nano won't live half as long and you can also guarantee the Nano-Tech is made of cheaper parts. The Hyperion batteries will hold their voltage better and won't burn in high amp draw situations. There are a few tests on the internet. Sometimes the discharge ratings on cheaper packs can be false and thus a more expensive pack will give you real discharge ratings and accurate MAH. I have had cheap packs be off by 400mah. Performance usually ranges by 5MPH max between cheap and expensive batteries. Life of packs can be years apart!! Hope this helps

jamespl
01-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I only run turnigy and for the past year or so I've been using them I've only ever had one puff on arrival but the question I would be asking is say a turnigy costs you £30 and another high quality brand costs you £70 is the high quality one £40 better than the turnigy? Those who race would prob say yes but only sport boating I can't justify paying twice as much for 2-3mph. Some people will have good things to say about turnigy and some not. Don't forget though there are some batteries that are really cheap. I guess it's a case of what you can afford but I always say you get what you pay for and you will find any company regardless of if it's lipos or a washing machine, the more expensive the better the customer service. Least that's what I have always found. I know that if I have a turnigy puffed or dead on arrival it's a throw away and buy another one.

Rok Krawl
01-23-2012, 01:32 PM
I have had 4 hard case Turnigy packs for little over a year now. 30-45C rating on label. But cant really depend on the label. Worked fine for off road bashing in 1/8th scale buggy.
For the backyard basher, sport boater, and electric plane world, these cheap batteries are great. I just recently had a pack that went out on me. Again no biggie as they were like 25bux.

In my AQ Motley, holding the trigger down for 5 1/2 laps makes them run 110-120 degrees. And they swell up pretty good inside the boxes. Not saying anything bad on cheap packs cuz I own some and they have lasted me this long.

But when you have companies like thunder power that will give you 40% trade in value to newer packs, that gives me some incentive to buy from them.

After reading so many headaches about people having with Turnigy packs now and how they are bad straight from the packaging, Im hesitant to buy from them now. Buddy ordered 4 nano 5400mah and one gave out after 2 short runs.
Read that the Gen Ace packs are good to have. Not much more in price.

Just making sure before I go out and buy a set of nice packs for boat, which they will mainly be for race days, that they are worth having. Not just for little extra speed, but the lifespan, quicker charge rates, and the reliability of them.

Again, for running local pond with buddy, yeah im gunna run my Turnigy packs.

crash440
01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Check out hobbypartz.com gen ace and blue lipo beat thunder power in a batt. test, they have been great to me for over two years.

Fluid
01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Where did you see that? The graph on Hobbyparts shows the BlueLiPos to be the worst of the bunch. But realize that these tests were at very LOW amp draws and they have little to no relevance for FE applications. I can't think of many FE applications that only draw 30 amps - the better RTRs pull over twice that amount! I know from experience that cell performance at 50 amps, at 100 amps or at 150 amps can be completely different. How would the results have looked if they were taken at 100 amps?

Let's try to be a little more discerning when analyzing some seller's "tests" and make certain the data actually means something to us.

crash440
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
You act as if batteries you talk about is the only way to go well it isnt so i run those so called low amp batt. myself and have been for over 2yrs. in my boats. It is fine if you want to spend more money on batt. And for hk batt. I have had 6 diff. types of there batt. and none of them lasted better than a year. This is my opinion and you know everybody has one. take a chill pill you dont have to be so upset. peace!

Fluid
01-23-2012, 05:54 PM
I am not upset "dude", but your incorrect post just spreads bad information on the board - it has nothing to do with you "opinion". You may not care much about being accurate or confusing people on OSE, but I do. What I don't like is you putting words in my mouth. Accuracyjust seems to be your weak point. Another one for the ignore list. :lol:

JimClark
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Keep it on topic people

sunexim
01-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Check out hobbypartz.com gen ace and blue lipo beat thunder power in a batt. test, they have been great to me for over two years.
They have really good and trusted service:thumbup1:

Rok Krawl
01-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Well Gen Ace are hard case packs. Dont need hard case unless you have other toys to run them in. If I were to try any other cheaper pack, it would just be for putting around the pond. Just looking for packs for racing setting. Packs that will hold up to the abuse of high amp draw time and time again.

To say TP got beat in a simple test? They have been around for a long time. Plus what other company will buy back old packs for credit on newer ones?
Im buying a few sets for racing purposes.

Drax21
01-24-2012, 03:26 PM
This is good from Hyperion

Crash Replacement Policy

If you have damaged your Lipo pack for any reason which is NOT covered by free warranty replacement (i.e due to crash, water damage, etc), and within the first year after original purchase, your nearest Hyperion Regional Distributor can exchange your pack for a brand new one of the same type (or lesser value pack), at 40% discount from original Hyperion suggested retail price for the replacement pack, plus return shipping.

drwayne
02-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Well Gen Ace are hard case packs. Dont need hard case unless you have other toys to run them in. If I were to try any other cheaper pack, it would just be for putting around the pond. Just looking for packs for racing setting. Packs that will hold up to the abuse of high amp draw time and time again.

To say TP got beat in a simple test? They have been around for a long time. Plus what other company will buy back old packs for credit on newer ones?
Im buying a few sets for racing purposes.

GensAce make soft and hard packs.
The hard packs for cars where physical damage is prevalent ... and helps save idiots from themselves in other appns.
The soft packs designed for boats and air.
One assumes there's lots of cars in your area ?
W

This is good from Hyperion

Crash Replacement Policy

If you have damaged your Lipo pack for any reason which is NOT covered by free warranty replacement (i.e due to crash, water damage, etc), and within the first year after original purchase, your nearest Hyperion Regional Distributor can exchange your pack for a brand new one of the same type (or lesser value pack), at 40% discount from original Hyperion suggested retail price for the replacement pack, plus return shipping.

Ditto FlightPower and Entropy.. although they offer 50% at point of sale.