PDA

View Full Version : Tampons!

Mattwarner
01-19-2012, 06:50 AM
If like me you get a small amount of water coming in, place a tampon where it will contact the water (but not catch on anything) and you will find it sucks up any water that gets in leaving the inside bone dry!!

You will get odd looks from other boaters / your missus! but it helps until you fix the leak!

Drax21
01-19-2012, 07:40 AM
If like me you get a small amount of water coming in, place a tampon where it will contact the water (but not catch on anything) and you will find it sucks up any water that gets in leaving the inside bone dry!!

You will get odd looks from other boaters / your missus! but it helps until you fix the leak!

This was funny to read. If its water coming up the teflon liner heat shrink at the end form a barrier. If the boat is leaking from the transom I would re-seal it. I can imagine going to a race and them checking your boat over saying whats your set-up;
you reply
4074 motor
180esc
42mm prop
tampon

oooooooooo

Mattwarner
01-19-2012, 08:06 AM
haha! I did eventually find the leak it was a small inperfection in the epoxy which ive sorted.

RIPFENCE
01-19-2012, 08:15 AM
for when your boat is feeling like its a heavy day...

you may be onto something though

sailr
01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
I have used tampons in my boats. Works great. But make sure it's secured and don't let it get wrapped up in the prop shaft! Ask me how I know! I burned up a perfectly good motor and esc when this happened.

Back-lash
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm new to RC boats, but the guys at my LHS suggested that to me, and it works like a charm. I cut the string off, to avoid any tangles. Now, I have to start looking for leaks.

BILL OXIDEAN
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Tampon in the transom, condom on the receiver.
I've heard of safety first but..

Listen folks, you are WAY better off cutting 1X2 inch pieces of sponge.
i'm not home right now with the pics, but I can show you one of what happens when that thing expands to the size of a cucumber, and
it gets caught up in the drive coupler then creates a "white wedding" inside yer hull.

I personally never performed this feat, but I saw a guy do it at a race and it wasn't pretty..
Please trust me on this, I don't want to see this become common practice with beginner or novice boaters.

lectriglide
01-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Tampon in the transom, condom on the receiver.
I've heard of safety first but..

Listen folks, you are WAY better off cutting 1X2 inch pieces of sponge.
i'm not home right now with the pics, but I can show you one of what happens when that thing expands to the size of a cucumber, and
it gets caught up in the drive coupler then creates a "white wedding" inside yer hull.

I personally never performed this feat, but I saw a guy do it at a race and it wasn't pretty..
Please trust me on this, I don't want to see this become common practice with beginner or novice boaters.

LMAO!!! Just picture that.

BILL OXIDEAN
01-19-2012, 02:15 PM
:laugh:
LMAO!!! Just picture that.

You should have heard 'em in the pits, guys came up with so many jokes and scenarios for it..

Take my advice on this one guys and just Please don't..
I mean, if that's the case you might as well use vagasil when the speed controller emits its odor LMAO!!

Drax21
01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
:laugh:

You should have heard 'em in the pits, guys came up with so many jokes and scenarios for it..

Take my advice on this one guys and just Please don't..

I agree, I'm sure there are much better things to use.

martin
01-19-2012, 02:23 PM
imagine trying to explain that one to you wife or girl friend when she finds condoms & tampons in your car.

BILL OXIDEAN
01-19-2012, 02:50 PM
imagine trying to explain that one to you wife or girl friend when she finds condoms & tampons in your car.

She will be just plain ANGRY.
I just got in trouble with mine for even laughing about it lol
It woke her up.

Chilli
01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
How sick are we that we're stealing our wives/girlfriends tampons for our rc boats.

"Honey, got a race coming up. Can I bum a few tampons off you". :smile:

sundog
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
"Honey, got a race coming up. Can I bum a few tampons off you". :smile:

:roflol::roflol::roflol: Help, I can't stop laughing!

lectriglide
01-19-2012, 11:46 PM
I think it's time to flush this thread!:scared:

BILL OXIDEAN
01-20-2012, 12:12 PM
All fun and games aside, with an electric radio controled model boat ideally you want to keep the water from leaking in in the first place.
Without going into a detailed discussion, there are 5 places that I have commonly found leaks:

-Drive line (very common and most difficult to detect)

-Plumbing (usually the seal around the water jacket, ripped line or loose fitting)

-Hull Defect (Commonly near edges, corners, seams, cracks, pinhles or voids)

-Transom (Many times hardened silicone where the stuffing tube enters, and near screw holes)

-Steering (Hardened, worn, or defective steering boot, or a bad seal)

When it comes to receivers, I've had great success with first wrapping the receiver with a small piece of Bounty paper towell, inserting the receiver in a party balloon, and sealing the end witha rubber band. That gives you more than one barrier for the occasional shaft spray.

Most every boat, no matter how well you seal it will take on a few drops occasionally, if not during a hard slam, the boat being stuck out there for a half hour, or the very least a few drops rolling in when you open the hatch. For those who want a safeguard against even the minimal, a cut down piece of scotch brite backed dish sponge works great for those with no other option than to raid the cupboard for the remedy, or a piece of dish sponge.

There are numerous sources online and on this very forum on how to keep the water out, so repeat after me fellas

WHEN IN DOUBT, KEEP THE WATER OUT! Sponges, and balloons are the prefered methods.

martin
01-20-2012, 03:30 PM
A balloon works very well so long as you dont put it in the balloon & then just assume theirs no water got in & leave it sitting in the boat, i check mines dry often. I also like to get the rx even though it in a balloon raised up off the hull bottom including the esc so if any water does get in & sloshes around the rx & esc are not sitting in water. You can never take to many precautions, I see people including buddys that dont even tape hatches & just sit the hatch in its recese & wonder why the hatch blows off during running & why their boats allways got loats of water in it. Martin.

BILL OXIDEAN
01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
That's right boys, feminine products have NO place in the RC boating world..

galant2door
01-20-2012, 04:06 PM
I have heard the new libra tampons come with wings, that'll make your boat really fly :thumbup1:

Mattwarner
01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Just wait till my next thread on using KY on your flexi drive!

galant2door
01-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Just wait till my next thread on using KY on your flexi drive!

:beerchug: I'll drink to that

ray schrauwen
01-20-2012, 07:09 PM
What a great laugh! White Wedding inside your hul, LOL!!!!

BILL OXIDEAN
01-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Keep it up Ray, you're gonna' make me bust out the pic to show you lol!!!
I knew someone would get a charge out of my humor on that one..

martin
01-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Be a bit embarasing Bill if you used tampons & had to add them to your list of sponsers.

BILL OXIDEAN
01-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Be a bit embarasing Bill if you used tampons & had to add them to your list of sponsers.

Cumon Martin! I was thinking similar, in one way it would be good, because if we used them enough they would start sponsoring classes at the races.
They'd go BIG too because they've got money. I can see it now. 2013 Fast Electric nationals hosted by:68677

properchopper
01-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm way ahead of you guys !!

BILL OXIDEAN
01-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm way ahead of you guys !!

Dang it Tony!
Ya' beat me to it.

What sort of deal are they given' ya'? Are they given' ya' free product, or just a deep discount lol!!

That is a good one Tony, thanks for sharing.
By the way that's a clean looking Aeromarine ya got there Mr...

properchopper
01-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Dang it Tony!
Ya' beat me to it.

What sort of deal are they given' ya'? Are they given' ya' free product, or just a deep discount lol!!

That is a good one Tony, thanks for sharing.
By the way that's a clean looking Aeromarine ya got there Mr...

Wilmer, actually my ex-wife gave me the sticker to wear just above my "johnson "

The MM's a refurbed water damage hull I rigged for P-Ltd Offshore - thought I'd be a little different this year in AZ.

Alexgar
01-21-2012, 05:52 PM
i actually use the sponge as stated above i saw one in a hull in the rotating picture and thought damn good idea and been doing sense great way to suck up a little water