PDA

View Full Version : Thrust bearing/bushing?

Mich. Maniac
04-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey I understand the concept of the thrust bearing but exactly where do they go? what if motor coupling doesnt go close enough to can to use a bearing? How many of you use the thrust bearing?thanx

Steven Vaccaro
04-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I have used 2 before, but only because I was in a pinch. Normally I cut the shaft a slight bit.

Fluid
04-28-2007, 12:37 PM
The bearing goes between the motor and the coupler. You can use washers to take up extra space. Just make sure that there is a little bit of end play when the bearing is used, you do not want the shaft to bind the motor's PTO bushing. Use a piece of thin printer paper as a shim when installing the thrust bearing, then remove before running.

hammertime
04-28-2007, 04:43 PM
what does a thrust bearing do??

Mich. Maniac
04-28-2007, 06:02 PM
your pressure from prop is taken by motor shaft and motor bearings. this bearing absorbes that pressure with tiny ball bearings so there is no horizontal pressure on motor.

Darin Jordan
04-28-2007, 06:24 PM
On many Brushless motors... the endbells are only held in with loctite or even silicone... Eventually, the thrust from the shaft can/will push the endbell off, potentially damaging your motor... Plus, if you install it correctly, the thrust bearing will keep the sideloads off your endbell bearings, thus reducing friction and drag and wear on the bearings...

I use them in all my applications, and many require that I trim the end of the motor shaft slightly to have them fit correctly without having to install extra washers, etc... I'd highly recommend using them if you can... Some install them on the strut instead/as well, but I never have so I can't comment on how to go about that...