PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded prop, now have some heat issues

Back-lash
01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
I installed an Octura X645 prop on my Impulse 31 with stock running gear. About 3 minutes into the first run, boat went dead. This is what I found...

The Dean connector melted. So, I'm going to upgrade all connectors to 5.5 bullet connectors. Should I worry about something else? The wires where touching the plastic cover, and got so hot that it slightly melted the cover. After the run the motor was warm but not really hot, and the same for the ESC.

Fluid
01-15-2012, 06:05 PM
That prop is really a race setup on that boat/motor combo and will draw some serious amps. Race heats are usually 2 to 3 minutes long. You should either shorten your run time a bit or go to a slightly smaller prop like an m545 or m642. You cannot depend on how the motor or ESC 'felt', it probably took long enough to recover the boat that they had time to cool off.

DURAMAX11
01-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I ran a x642 on my mystic when it was stock (same motor/esc) and it caused some heat issues. I would even think about running a 645.

Make-a-Wake
01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Deans are only good up to around 60 amps and you were probably right there.......................bullets are best

Back-lash
01-15-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm new to RC boats, but from what I can gather from these replies. The bullets will hold up, but I might be generating to much heat for the motor and ESC anyway with that prop. So it sounds like I should get a smaller prop, because if I don't I'll probably burnup the motor or ESC, or both. Is this accurate? Is there anything else I can do, without upgrading motor and ESC? I really liked the way the boat ran.

Make-a-Wake
01-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Go to an x642..........

Back-lash
01-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Sounds good. I'll go with the Octura X642 then. Hopefully that will solve my heat issues, and not lose too much speed then the X645. The boat ran real nice, at least for the little bit I was able to run it.

DURAMAX11
01-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Deans are only good up to around 60 amps and you were probably right there.......................bullets are best

The deans weren't the problem. The s/b x642 melted the shrink wrap around the stock 1800kv motor connectors. That motor seemed to like the m445.

Back-lash
01-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Well. I took everyones advise. I'm upgrading the connectors to 5.5 bullets. And I ordered an m445 prop. Hopefully I'll be back on the water soon. Any estimates on what speeds I should be getting. I know alot has to do with the water conditions, but I'm hoping it's noticeably faster than the stock prop.

Back-lash
01-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Ok. Installed the m445 prop, and upgraded my battery connectors to 5.5 bullet connectors. Ran the boat for about 5 mins and the connectors from the motor to the ESC un-soldered itself. I believe they are 3.5 bullet connectors. When I upgraded to the 5.5 on the batteries, should I have upgraded those connectors as well? I'm hoping the m445 prop is not too much for the stock motor and ESC. Other than that, the boat ran great. I really think I have the trim tabs and strut set correctly.

Diesel6401
01-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Ok. Installed the m445 prop, and upgraded my battery connectors to 5.5 bullet connectors. Ran the boat for about 5 mins and the connectors from the motor to the ESC un-soldered itself. I believe they are 3.5 bullet connectors. When I upgraded to the 5.5 on the batteries, should I have upgraded those connectors as well? I'm hoping the m445 prop is not too much for the stock motor and ESC. Other than that, the boat ran great. I really think I have the trim tabs and strut set correctly.

Yea you should have upgraded those as well. Before the boat ever hits the water the 3.5mm and deans plugs should be removed asap as they are the weak points of the boat. IMHO

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

DURAMAX11
01-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Did you sharpen and balance the M445?

dana
01-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Personally I would have put on an x442 or x440/3. 6 series props have a little too much pitch IMO. Stick with 4 series and smaller prop diameter for now. Jmo

Make-a-Wake
01-21-2012, 09:56 PM
He's not running a 6 series...............its an m445, a detounged x445.:Peace_Sign:

dana
01-21-2012, 09:59 PM
I know. In a prior post he said he tried a 642 and melted connections. As for the m445,I personally don't like m props on v hulls. To each their own tho

dana
01-21-2012, 10:01 PM
We maybe I got confuzzled... W/e lol I still stand by my suggestion

Make-a-Wake
01-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Backlash, I desoldered motor bullets before as well...........as Diesel pointed out, when you upgrade the rest, its the weak point. I now use 5.5, 6.5 and 8.0's for all my motors depending on size. Make sure you give it a "good" solder job, not sure of your skills, but a cold solder will occur every now and then.

SFC K
01-22-2012, 05:11 AM
I just ordered an X645 from Chris. Should I have picked something else? I plan on changing all connectors over to 5.5mm bullet connectors.

Back-Lash- How did it run with the M445?

Back-lash
01-23-2012, 09:10 AM
The boat ran great with the M445. Don't know how fast it was going, but I would estimate in the 30's. SFC, if you are running stock motor and ESC, I wouldn't run the X645, it's too much prop for that setup. I'm going to upgrade the 3.5 bullets from the motor to ESC now to 5.5 bullets. Hopefully this will solve my heat issues, then I can run the boat like that for a while.

SFC K
01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
That sucks. I just ordered the prop. :ThumbsDown01:

dmwilson09
01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
SFC K,

I know a few months back when i was looking at props, I asked Darin (the designer of this boat) what a good prop for the impulse was and one of the props he mentioned was an X645. He said it was not uncommon to run that prop all day long with out any issues. Now he did recommended upgrading the bullets to 5.5 or bigger aswell. I ended up going with an X642 with 5.5 bullets, but that was because I didnt want to risk any chance of failure.

Make-a-Wake
01-24-2012, 07:20 PM
That sucks. I just ordered the prop. :ThumbsDown01:

Yeah, that does..............especially when most posts on this thread said to stay away from it. Anyways, if you are good with props you can trim it down to 42mm if you find its too much as it is............i personally think its way too much. I have found every now and then when i went smaller I got more speed:confused2: I'm obviously not a prop 'expert' but i think the m445 or x642 would be best................my opinion :Peace_Sign:

Skullcracken
01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
That esc might not handle that big of a prop, with the amp draw either. Everyone says deans only handle 60 amps or so. Guy run them in helicopters over 100 amps all the time. I've run 90 amps on a boat with traxxas plugs for nearly a year with no probs. And deans handle amps better than traxxas. Make sure you heat shrink those bullets good. POW!

Skullcracken
01-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Just spend a little cash on a bigger esc

Back-lash
01-27-2012, 01:06 PM
That esc might not handle that big of a prop, with the amp draw either. Everyone says deans only handle 60 amps or so. Guy run them in helicopters over 100 amps all the time. I've run 90 amps on a boat with traxxas plugs for nearly a year with no probs. And deans handle amps better than traxxas. Make sure you heat shrink those bullets good. POW!

I hear ya. I changed out to the bullet connectors, and put the male side on the batteries, now I have to be very careful that they don't touch, it makes quite a pop! I might redo them and put the female ends on the batteries so there is less of a chance of them touching. I'm no electrical expert, by any stretch. But it seems to me the wire coming off the motor and ESC are rather thin (I think 14 awg), is that an issue after installing the 5.5 bullet connectors. I'm sure the answer will include some basic electrical explanation, but just seemed odd to me.

petej
01-29-2012, 09:34 PM
The x645 is too much prop for the stock motor and will destroy the motor. I run the 642 on my Impulse, WOT, get good acceleration and top-end speed. The stock boat also runs well with an M445, but the x642 can yield slightly faster speed.

Make-a-Wake
01-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I hear ya. I changed out to the bullet connectors, and put the male side on the batteries, now I have to be very careful that they don't touch, it makes quite a pop! I might redo them and put the female ends on the batteries so there is less of a chance of them touching. I'm no electrical expert, by any stretch. But it seems to me the wire coming off the motor and ESC are rather thin (I think 14 awg), is that an issue after installing the 5.5 bullet connectors. I'm sure the answer will include some basic electrical explanation, but just seemed odd to me.

NO!!!!!!! You never put the same bullets on a battery..........one of each so thet dont touch and can be ran in series! The neg. wire gets the male bullet and pos. female, opposite on the ESC.

Back-lash
01-30-2012, 09:03 AM
NO!!!!!!! You never put the same bullets on a battery..........one of each so thet dont touch and can be ran in series! The neg. wire gets the make bullet and pos. female, opposite on the ESC.

After doing some research this weekend, and NOW reading your reply. I'm going to change my connectors around. It makes perfect sense. Thanks again, for all the replies. You guys are really helping me out.

Make-a-Wake
01-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Good deal.......................btw i meant to write that the neg. lead on the batt gets the male bullet not the 'make' bullet as i wrote, fixed it now.

srislash
01-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Good deal.......................btw i meant to write that the neg. lead on the batt gets the male bullet not the 'make' bullet as i wrote, fixed it now.
Ahh, so there is a standard.Mine is the opposite,and I'm not switching all that now.That is the first I read of it.When I started on here I heard of guys plugging things in backwards in the heat of the moment.I figured opposing bullits was the way to avoid this.

SFC K
02-04-2012, 04:32 AM
Yeah, that does..............especially when most posts on this thread said to stay away from it. Anyways, if you are good with props you can trim it down to 42mm if you find its too much as it is............i personally think its way too much. I have found every now and then when i went smaller I got more speed:confused2: I'm obviously not a prop 'expert' but i think the m445 or x642 would be best................my opinion :Peace_Sign:

I have read on here a few different threads that said the X645 prop was a good prop if you upgrade to bullet connectors to 5mm and get rid of the Deans. Even Darrin has recommended this prop in a few posts. That is why I chose this prop. I’m not a prop guy either and I did view every single thread on this forum for the Impulse and decided to go with t is prop.

I will order the M445 and give that a shot and sell the X645 when I get home. I did see on here that the X445 is a good prop too for this application.

Back-lash
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I have read on here a few different threads that said the X645 prop was a good prop if you upgrade to bullet connectors to 5mm and get rid of the Deans. Even Darrin has recommended this prop in a few posts. That is why I chose this prop. I’m not a prop guy either and I did view every single thread on this forum for the Impulse and decided to go with t is prop.

I will order the M445 and give that a shot and sell the X645 when I get home. I did see on here that the X445 is a good prop too for this application.

I was running the boat with the x645, when the dean connectors melted. Now, I believe even if I upgraded to 5mm bullets, I still think it would be too much prop. In the treads where Darrin was recommending that prop, it was with upgraded motors and ESC (at least the ones I read). I'm very happy with the performance with the M445 prop. I'll eventually upgrade motor and ESC, which at that point I'll use the X645.

Back-lash
02-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Ball Valves with Pneumatic and Electrical Actuators
Dilution Valve for Paper Industry | Sluice / Gate Valve with Pneumatic, Hydraulic and Electrical Actuators | Industrial Plastic Butterfly Ball Valves with Pneumatic and Electrical Actuators | Flush Bottom Valves with Pneumatic and Electrical Actuators | Plug Valve with Pneumatic and Electrical Actuators

For more details please visihttp://www.sudeengg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=397&Itemid=431 (http://www.sudeengg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=397&Itemid=431)

???

Make-a-Wake
02-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Ball Valves with Pneumatic and Electrical Actuators
Dilution Valve for Paper Industry | Sluice / Gate Valve with Pneumatic, Hydraulic and Electrical Actuators | Industrial Plastic Butterfly Ball Valves with Pneumatic and Electrical Actuators | Flush Bottom Valves with Pneumatic and Electrical Actuators | Plug Valve with Pneumatic and Electrical Actuators

For more details please visihttp://www.sudeengg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=397&Itemid=431 (http://www.sudeengg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=397&Itemid=431)

Nice.............Ball valves:olleyes:.............:confused1:

SFC K
02-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Nice.............Ball valves:olleyes:.............:confused1:

Looks like spammers are at it again... :nono:

Darin Jordan
02-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Guys... when you are having these heat issues with the X645, where is your strut adjusted to??

Jay Turner is right... the X645 is too much prop for general bashing or long runs. One of the reasons why I quit posting prop recommendations, for the most part, is because I tend to lean towards racing setups, and that's what I know. I don't get out and just dink around much.

The 1800KV motor in the Mono shouldn't be loaded up much. If you are running your boat wet, or have the strut adjusted too low, you are going to load the prop too much.

Skullcracken
02-15-2012, 10:17 PM
How did you upgrade to a 45mm. My stock 40mm prop nearly touches the rudder with a full left turn. Did you change out the rudder assembly?

TheShaughnessy
02-15-2012, 10:32 PM
i would read propper choppers post on "blueprinting motors" He does it on an aq motor but you can apply it to you PB motor. If you want to salvage your x645 you could remove some of the tounge and possibly barr cut it to relieve some of the load. If you already have the m445 you may just stick with it, I've always liked it better on these spec motors.