PDA

View Full Version : Im happy with my MC...

Rob DeAngelis
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Dude my MC kills my UL-1.... turns way better and is just a way funner boat to run... My ul1 is faster but handles like crap.....

Doby
01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Its a great boat, but you do know the ul1 is only set up to turn to the right.

Rob DeAngelis
01-16-2012, 03:01 PM
yes, but I still have to slow down to avoid rolling... It handles a little better with the stock prop but that just kills the speed...

Fluid
01-16-2012, 03:23 PM
If you have to slow the UL-1 down to keep from rolling, then something is not right. Either you are trying to turn too tightly, the water is too rough, or the setup is wrong. Guys in our club are turning fine at 50 mph. Cats/tunnels are the most maneuverable of R/C race boats, and the MC in particular is a lot of fun to drive. But the two boats are designed for completely different applications, and some folks prefre one over the other. AquaCraft decided to cater to both kinds.

Rob DeAngelis
01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
http://youtu.be/tSOYuTg8ot0

bdp1174
01-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Is that all stock with stock prop?
Also what batts are you using and did you change bullet size to 5.5mm?

siberianhusky
01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Looks kinda slow to me, and running real wet. Where is the CG and how is the strut set, what prop.

Rob DeAngelis
01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
its all stock... 4200mah 2s Grim lipos... took it out of the box and threw it in the water... bench tested the motor and esc... thats all...

Rob DeAngelis
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
The prop is a Grim 42x55...

Rob DeAngelis
01-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Looks kinda slow to me, and running real wet. Where is the CG and how is the strut set, what prop.The prop is a Grim 42x55... I dont know how to tell the CG all I did was set the batts in the middle, and what does "running real wet" mean??? the strut is adjusted a hair down to seat the back end from the prop upgrade... and thats all... why does my boat look slow to you??? remmember that its all stock... what gives? what do I need to do to make it faster without switching electronics???

Grimracer
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Robde

What is the biggest differance between what you see in my run here.. same prop.. same batts..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ucNxF6VyX8&feature=plcp&context=C3cb3b4aUDOEgsToPDskIOtyFcYjxH6s-VnrgekQc_

and your run video?

RC boating is a great hobby.. Great to discover and learn.. I hope you are having fun!

Grim

siberianhusky
01-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Set the cg between 27 and 30% of the total boat length forwards from the transom, Run the strut with no angle at all. Raise the strut until the nose of the boat becomes to light and threatens to blow over backwards, now go down just a bit. Just move it a little bit, 1/16 of an inch max per try, until you find the sweet spot for the CG and and prop. You might not be able to get it right with the strut, this means you need to adjust the CG a little bit and start over with the strut adjustment.
You will be amazed at what happens when the boat begins to dance across the water, yours is staying glued to the water the whole length of the sponson pretty much. Takes a lot of power to push a boat like that. Get it adjusted and you will see what it can really do.
I'm actually running a motor with a lower kv than the stock one but a bigger prop, it's a Proboat Geico 1500kv motor. Another one of the "spec" class motors puts out about the same power as the stock motor but runs at a lower rpm, the increase in torque lets me run a bigger prop but at a slower rpm. Killer acceleration and hook up out of he turns, about the same top speed maybe a touch slower on top, Lap times are about the exact same, less cavitation at take off as well.
The only real change in mine is I filled the huge dips running the length of both sponsons, known as "blueprinting" the bottom and squared up all the edges on the bottom so the are nice and sharp not rounded.
I put a SV27 rudder on mine with a water pickup, it's a direct bolt on replacement, I kept the sponson pickup so the esc and motor each have their own cooling circuit. Installed a pair of outlets in the side of the boat so I can see the water coming out. Ran the original outlet hose as another inlet hose from the rudder.
You'll really enjoy it even more once you get it dialed in, It's like you discovered a hidden gear!

Rob DeAngelis
01-18-2012, 06:06 PM
cool thanks man... should i get a smaller prop with the 2030kv motor that my boat came with? im running the Grim 42x55... and I see what you meen about the small adjustments, I ran today and its getting better... now to work on the CG... Thanks again Husky!!!:beerchug:

Rob DeAngelis
01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Robde

What is the biggest differance between what you see in my run here.. same prop.. same batts..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ucNxF6VyX8&feature=plcp&context=C3cb3b4aUDOEgsToPDskIOtyFcYjxH6s-VnrgekQc_

and your run video?

RC boating is a great hobby.. Great to discover and learn.. I hope you are having fun!

Grim HAHAAA obviously yours is running way faster!!! question for you my friend... My MC came in the box with the same motor as my UL-1, the 2030kv, IDK why it did but it did... im running the Grim 42x55 prop... should I downsize the prop or what? Thanks bro, Love the AQ boats!!!

rc2266
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Keep prop and everything else , just get the cog correct I beleive is what grim is trying to tell you!!

Grimracer
01-18-2012, 07:37 PM
hum.. a 2030.. that would be a first.. did you buy it new? did you buy it at a hobbyshop?.

In any case the 2030 proved to be to much for the boat "IF" you have the boat set to tight.

If it was me.. I would change to the 1800.

Grim

Rumdog
01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
How do you know it is the UL-1 motor?

Grimracer
01-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Keep prop and everything else , just get the cog correct I beleive is what grim is trying to tell you!!

The idea was.. The run was planned and methodical. I knew just how tight I wanted the boat to turn and I only used full throttle when needed. No willie nillie.
I determined a length of straightaway and I never run into a corner wide open.

You can talk setups all day long but learning to really drive the boat.. is way more valuable than any setup.

Watch the video again. Pay attention to my boat. Not the speed so much but were it is lap after lap on the water. If you want to turn left that’s fine.. just plan it!
There is a good chance your boat is just as fast as this one, scotts'. Scott is the throttle man for the full size Motley Crew!
But before I sent the boat to him it had to run just like mine!

Grim

siberianhusky
01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
I should have mentioned that my testing and setup is done around a course, this way you have something to really compare against. LOL I only turn left if I have to.
Just some plastic bottles anchored with bricks works great and can be picked up easily for a course.
Racing against yourself and the clock is harder sometimes than racing against 5 other boats! Easy to beat other people eventually, way harder to beat yourself!

Rob DeAngelis
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

Rob DeAngelis
01-19-2012, 04:00 PM
I bought it off EBAY new in the box...
hum.. a 2030.. that would be a first.. did you buy it new? did you buy it at a hobbyshop?.

In any case the 2030 proved to be to much for the boat "IF" you have the boat set to tight.

If it was me.. I would change to the 1800.

Grim

Rob DeAngelis
01-19-2012, 04:01 PM
I have 2 UL-1s...

How do you know it is the UL-1 motor?

Grimracer
01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Hum.. that is suspicious.
The motor that comes in the UL1 is marked 2030KV on the end bell.. The SV27R and MC use the 1800KV.. again marked on the end bell... and what ever else we might have up our sleeve. :spy:

I have a sneaky suspicion somebody switched the motor before the boat went up for sale.

Grim

siberianhusky
01-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Hmmm something new on the way I assume? Exciting!:rockon2:
Be cool if it was a slightly bigger mono, love my sv but a few inches longer and a little more stability in race water would be awesome!