PDA

View Full Version : Need a quality set of lipos. What do you run?

Rok Krawl
01-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I recently loss a Turnigy pack. Other 3 are running strong after a year. I read that so many are having probs brand new from the factory. So I am looking for a new reliable source. Even if I have to pay a little more.

Ran with some guys from HOTMBC here in Texas, and I am on the hunt for a good quality set of lipos.

Any of you run Thunder Power or Hyperion with good results? I am looking to pick up several 7.4V 5000mah packs for my AQ MC to run at meets.

Any of you run Gen Ace packs? Like to get something a little better quality than Turnigy , for running at pond in neighborhood.

So can you really tell a difference in performance in diff battery packs? Per say a Turnigy vs Hyperion, etc

Thanks all

Chilli
01-14-2012, 01:48 AM
You can occasionally get a Turnigy pack that can keep up with Hyperions and Thunderpower, but you can just as easily get a poorly built pack with bad cell or lousy soldering. And customer service leaves allot to be desired.

I run for fun with Turnigy Nano Techs knowing I'll get an occasional bad pack. When I do I just write if off.

On race day I run Hyperion. I have been running some of these packs for three seasons and they still perform very well. If you can swing the larger price tag, the quality is worth the extra money.

crash440
01-14-2012, 02:14 AM
I run gen aces and blue lipo I have had them for over 2years and they are great batt. I think they are better than turnigy. If you want to take a look at them you can check them out at hobbypartz.com

Fluid
01-14-2012, 09:44 AM
For sport running and even for some Limited racing the cheap Chinese packs are okay. But for serious power they seldom deliver, and too often end up "crash and burn". Personally I use Hyperion G3/45C packs and ThunderPower 65C packs. These deliver the rated power and last well under high-amp (175+) racing conditions. Plus ThunderPower will take your used/abused TP packs in trade for new ones, knocking about 40% off the price of the new packs.

Racing friends whom I trust have had good luck with GrimRacer packs, but I have not tried them.

These Turnigys ran a single race heat in a 10S2P boat which had used ThunderPower packs with great success. The Turnigys burst into flames as the boat approached the dock.
http://i41.tinypic.com/30v25oj.jpg

Drax21
01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I have gone through a few brands now and yes, the cheaper they are, the easier they fail (In order of cost)

(flightpower copy) 2 cycles - cells way unbalanced, battery gets very hot
Turnigy - Cells show high resistance after 5 cycles and quality of the soldering and wires on the pack are iffy
Winmax - Very low resistance, Cells balancing perfectly. MAH is off by quite a bit.
Nano-Techs - Lower resistance than standard Turnigys, Gives stated power, Good weight. No problems so far. After 2 cycles.
Hyperion G3 EX - Yet to be tested- Just by looks and wiring, pack is of a much higher quality than the others.

Just my results.

sailr
01-14-2012, 11:09 AM
The shrink wrap color looks like Flightpower or marinepower batts?

For sport running and even for some Limited racing the cheap Chinese packs are okay. But for serious power they seldom deliver, and too often end up "crash and burn". Personally I use Hyperion G3/45C packs and ThunderPower 65C packs. These deliver the rated power and last well under high-amp (175+) racing conditions. Plus ThunderPower will take your used/abused TP packs in trade for new ones, knocking about 40% off the price of the new packs.

Racing friends whom I trust have had good luck with GrimRacer packs, but I have not tried them.

These Turnigys ran a single race heat in a 10S2P boat which had used ThunderPower packs with great success. The Turnigys burst into flames as the boat approached the dock.
http://i41.tinypic.com/30v25oj.jpg

sailr
01-14-2012, 11:11 AM
There are some new batts on the market that look good and the price is right. Not enough experience with them yet but I got a couple of packs and they physically are very impressive. Very square corners and super tight shrink wrap. The 4S 5000 40C comes with 8awg wire and a5.5mm gold bullets. Price is $56. THEY ARE STOCKED AND SHIPPED FROM HERE IN THE USA!

HAIYIN Batteries. www.haiyinstore.com

Boaterguy
01-14-2012, 12:08 PM
genace (according to diesel) seem to be the bestin price vs. performancd, that does not at all mean they are the best, but they shoould hold up to what you need. always buy larger than you need

MORIDE
01-14-2012, 12:18 PM
I have 12 of the hardcased Gens Ace 5000 40c in 2 and 3S, some over a year old and still balance and run well, all my Turnigy's have given up, but they are cheaper and run mostly in my rc cars. My MG and Mystic see only Gens and I am very pleased with performance and value, I do not race.

I think Big Squid RC has conducted a few Lipo test check them out.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2/lipo-shootout-2-final-results/

Punisher 67
01-14-2012, 12:43 PM
There are some new batts on the market that look good and the price is right. Not enough experience with them yet but I got a couple of packs and they physically are very impressive. Very square corners and super tight shrink wrap. The 4S 5000 40C comes with 8awg wire and a5.5mm gold bullets. Price is $56. THEY ARE STOCKED AND SHIPPED FROM HERE IN THE USA!

HAIYIN Batteries. www.haiyinstore.com

Jeez Jim those are really well priced - Good deals for budget minded boater

sailr
01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm hoping somebody will try them at the competition level as well to see how they compare with Hyperions which are my current battery of choice. I can't expect the Haiyins to be as good but even if they are close at the price they will be a great bargain!

Boaterguy
01-14-2012, 04:53 PM
great hobbies packs are awesome too (run them in my airboats) and will survive an over discharge
a 3S 5000mah 50C pack was 72$ if I remember correct, still a little pricey but they will live up to their ratings.

Fluid
01-14-2012, 10:28 PM
The shrink wrap color looks like Flightpower or marinepower batts?I know very well what they were, I took them out of the boat. :olleyes: A good example of why you should not to trust your eyes online. Smoke and charring make them look like FPs, but believe me they were Turnigys - brittle blue shrink wrap and all. If you look heard you can see the label below.

http://i42.tinypic.com/bg46js.jpg

sailr
01-15-2012, 12:13 AM
No disrespect intended. I didn't doubt that Turnigy's had blown up! I thought maybe you had mixed up the pics. I now do see that touch of blue in the pic below.

I know very well what they were, I took them out of the boat. :olleyes: A good example of why you should not to trust your eyes online. Smoke and charring make them look like FPs, but believe me they were Turnigys - brittle blue shrink wrap and all. If you look heard you can see the label below.

http://i42.tinypic.com/bg46js.jpg

LS6CTSV
01-15-2012, 12:56 AM
I just bought a few of the New Dynamite Platinum Hard case Lipos, 2s/3s 5200mah 50c/100c 2c Charge Rate and they are Nice!! Kind of Pricey though, But they seem to out perform my Traxxas, Losi, Venom, and Nano Tech Lipos.

Punisher 67
01-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Jay were they the Nanotechs or the standard turnigy's

Boaterguy
01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
has anyone used these haiyins yet? how did they turn out?
looking for 4S 3-4000mah packs for a twin lynx cat.

sailr
01-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I have been using a 4S 5000 40C Haiyin pack in an airplane. Seems to have great power. So far so good. Admittedly, however, airplane setups don't put near the load on a battery than a boat does. I also have one of their 3S 2200 40C packs. It seems to be doing well also. In fact, it has held up well in a setup that puffed a Turnigy pack of the same specs.

Boaterguy
01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
sounds good, will be going with 6000mah 40C 4S in a twin lynx cat.

Chrisg81983
02-05-2012, 11:30 PM
I mainly run hyperion and thunder power cells but I have a few sets of the grimm racers and they are very good cells almost delivering the same power as hyperions i bought them with my motley crew when it first hit the market I have eagle tree data to show for it i have tried some nanos but did not have any luck with them all four failed in a short period of time when other cells lasted seasons on the same setup. By no means I am not saying they don't work for others I was just not happy with them. My thinking is you get what u pay for well most of the time Thanks chris g

Make-a-Wake
02-05-2012, 11:53 PM
I actually like the Zippy/flightmax better than the turnigy's.......................consider giving these 45c 5000's a try at 25 bucks a pop................not much to lose.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16497__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_2S1P_45C.html

Havent heard anything bad about these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXFS&P=7

Quality product, but only 30c(which may be a conservative rating) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXLX3&P=7

and You'll think im off my rocker for this one, but my oldest set of lipos(3+ years), that still pack a punch and balance well are a set of 4000mah 3s Venoms!! so here's one you may consider: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBEAG&P=7

Oh, and I'm running Zippy's in my 47" mono in my signature below, barely even get warm