PDA

View Full Version : Question about teflon liner and strut bushing in my Motley Crew

bdp1174
01-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Hi guys I have a few quick questions to ask of you.I noticed in my motley crew that when I push in my strut bushing into the strut so it is flush with the end of the strut it pushes the teflon liner up into the collet or within 1 mm of the collet.I know the bushing is supposed to spin freeley in the stru(which mine does),but I think the liner is causing the bushing to exit the strut a bit and sticks out almost into the drivedog when under power.

Should I shorten my teflon liner a bit?

Is it supposed to butt up against the bushing in the strut?

Please give me any suggestions you may have to help me.Other than that I love this boat....

I can post a few pics if anyone needs to see it to help me fix this problem.

Thanks Again

Brandon..:biggrin:

Chilli
01-14-2012, 02:01 AM
On my boats with teflon, I usually trim it so when the bushing is flush with the strut, there is about 1/8" of teflon sticking out of the stuffing tube at the collet. Also, make sure you have a 1/8-3/16" gap between the front of the drive dog and the back of the strut. This will keep the drive dog from rubbing against the strut when the flex shaft compresses under load. It will also give your stuffing tube a little room to float.

Don't remember if I've talked to you before. What part of VA are you located??

bdp1174
01-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Thank you for your suggestion.I will take a look at how much liner sticks out by the collet and measue.then trim as you suggested.
Btw I live in virginia beach,virginia.
Right now I own a motley crew all stock,and a spartan with a hobbywing 180 esc and tacon 3674-1700kv.
I will buying a mystic before spring to have when the temps get a little better.

Thanks again for your help I will post my results from your suggestions,btw I am using a flex cable I got here from OSE in the motley.

Chilli
01-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Cool. I'm on the other end of the state but you've got a group of knowledgable boaters close by. I see you have already friended Chuck. I take it you probably know about the ODMBA club and thier situation. Hopefully they will get their pond thing squared away so we can come down and race in August. If so, hope you can drop by, check it out and meet some of the other guys on this board.

siberianhusky
01-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Just pull out the teflon and be done with it, less driveline drag anyway.
I haven't used on in over 30 years of boating and never had a problem.
The way I look at it is one unneeded part removed is one less unneeded part that can fail.
My mc has been run without the liner since it was new, first thing I removed as soon as I began the initial prep.

bdp1174
01-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.I am gonna try both options and see which one works best for me.It has been pretty cold here lately so waiting for a nice day to bring the boat out.I appreciate the help.

dana
01-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Usually with 1/4 stuffing tube without teflon liner people use .187 cable.... You have .150 cable. Dunno if that's gonna be a problem....

runzwithsizorz
01-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Usually with 1/4 stuffing tube without teflon liner people use .187 cable.... You have .150 cable. Dunno if that's gonna be a problem....
Does seem like a lot of wiggle room, never the less, Siberianhusky says he's doing it.
Yo OP, Welcome to the party pal, Williamsburg here.

dana
01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
He didn't say if he was using the stock cable. Maybe you should ask him before you try.

siberianhusky
01-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Stock size cable not the actual stock cable. leave a little extra room at the drive dog and it's been running fine that way since they came out. You will get a little more cable shrink with the slightly larger tube.
Did the same with my SV got a couple seasons on it that way, no problems.
Once it's under load the cable spirals up a little bit and only contacts the brass in a couple spots, does the same thing in a smaller tube as well.
The boat will sound a little different, not louder just different resonance in the hull. Higher in pitch if anything.
I use a mix of 90w marine gear oil and waterproof moly grease. Some of my cables have years of use, no wear issues at all.
Back in the early days of flex cables we used WD40 before every run!
To each their own, I personally have seen more failures with teflon than without, other people may have the opposite experience. Not that common either way and luck of the draw plays a big part I suspect, as does maintenance. I always remove them at the end of the day, let them dry overnight then

donf
01-17-2012, 06:40 PM
dana you .187 cable with a .250 tube I know that works . Where does one get the collet from thanks