PDA

View Full Version : MEOW- Promise Hobby C/K 41" Falcon

bill34207
01-11-2012, 07:58 PM
The mail lady dropped this off at my work earlier today. :thumbup1:(I wasn't expecting it to arrive for another week)
Arrived from China without a scratch and overall I'm very happy with the carbon / kevlar layup. (photos don't do it justice) :drool:

Doby
01-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Frank builds a pretty decent hull.

johnnyoverkill
01-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Replacing the Delta Force twin Bill?

bill34207
01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Frank builds a pretty decent hull.

I have to agree Doby and reasonably priced as well.

Replacing the Delta Force twin Bill?

This is actually a replacement for my big Expresscraft Thunderbolt twin that I sold. Only it will be built as a single. I'm about ready to put out a feeler for the DF though and see if anyone would be interested in it as a hull & hardware package. (not wanting to part with my 1520's) The Explorer would make a good saw boat but it's not much good for the long oval or offset offshore.

bill34207
01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
A few more shots for tonight. The Falcon bears a strong resemblance to a Sprintcat on the bottom. It's a fairly light hull as well in c/k. Hull (with rails) and hatch comes in at 5 lbs, 2.1 oz. I'll be fitting this one with a Castle 2028 on WRP 5" rail mounts and Castle Ice 2 HV 200 since mine finally came back from the recall. :thumbup:
Going to go with a Speedmaster inline strut and rudder since inline seems to work really well on my Sprintcat .40.

Rumdog
01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Inline????? No way!

bill34207
01-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Inline????? No way!

It seems to work really well on my Sprintcat that way

vFvNKFtN06A

bill34207
01-12-2012, 09:13 PM
After driving to St Pete this evening after work (delivered a plane I sold) didn't get much accomplished tonight. The holes are drilled for the strut & rudder though. A little double sided tape works wonder for holding brackets in place while drilling. The Speedmaster strut & rudder is a pretty healthy piece of hardware. My cat just grew a 6" tail. :laugh: :olleyes:

bill34207
01-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Ran into a little bit of a snag this evening. Got the motor mount attached to the motor and started to check to see what kind of angle it would need. That's when I found out the rails are spaced wrong at the front. They measure 5" at the transom but are at 5-1/2" at the front where the mounts will bolt up. Looks like somebody at the factory might have gotten an early start on Chinese New Year. :angry:
On the good side, after checking distance from the rails to the tunnel edge I'll only have to cut the port side loose and move it in.

Rumdog
01-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Geez, that's a bummer. Oh well, I'm sure she'll come out nice in the end.
I'm gonna convert my gas sprintcat to brushless this spring with a Leo 5692 on 10s.

bill34207
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Geez, that's a bummer. Oh well, I'm sure she'll come out nice in the end.
I'm gonna convert my gas sprintcat to brushless this spring with a Leo 5692 on 10s.

You must have the "big" (same size as this) SC if it's currently a gasser? That shuold be a good runner too based on the way my .40 class runs. It's got to be one of the better running hulls in my fleet. :thumbup1:

Rumdog
01-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Yup, I've got a .40 size too, setup with twin 1515's. Best handling boat I've owned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5O3sMSBkE&feature=g-upl&context=G2d06482AUAAAAAAAGAA

bill34207
01-13-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm hoping after I move the rudder back and replace it with a bigger one, my little mean machine twin will improve. The hulls handle well (for their size) as a single and think some more rudder will straighten this one out. At full throttle and full wheel turn it continues to go straight until you let off. Then it hooks and spins out.

Back on track with this one now. Got the rail cut loose and moved over. A dremel with a 90 degree head and cutoff wheel made pretty quick work of that. Still have to glass it back in but that's not going to happen tonight.

Brushless55
01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Very cool man.. how much are the C/K hulls?

bill34207
01-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Yup, I've got a .40 size too, setup with twin 1515's. Best handling boat I've owned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5O3sMSBkE&feature=g-upl&context=G2d06482AUAAAAAAAGAA

I missed the youtube vid until just now. I remember scorpion1 posting that one over on RCG when I was building my Thunderbolt twin. Very good running hull.

bill34207
01-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Very cool man.. how much are the C/K hulls?

About 300 for the full c/k version. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Kevlar-41-falcon-cat-23-26cc-gas-rc-boat-/130445611945?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item1e5f2a13a9 then another 75 to ship to the US.

Brushless55
01-14-2012, 02:11 AM
About 300 for the full c/k version. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Kevlar-41-falcon-cat-23-26cc-gas-rc-boat-/130445611945?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item1e5f2a13a9 then another 75 to ship to the US.

that's awesome man!
what is the benifit of this vs the glass hull?

bill34207
01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
that's awesome man!
what is the benifit of this vs the glass hull?

Mostly, a stronger hull at a lighter weight. I'm not really sure if the lighter weight will be beneficial but the extra hull strength is always good in a long oval racer.

Brushless55
01-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Mostly, a stronger hull at a lighter weight. I'm not really sure if the lighter weight will be beneficial but the extra hull strength is always good in a long oval racer.

:thumbup1:

megalops
01-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Nice hull Bill! I'm sure when its built it will be solid as usual. Too bad that hull isn't a an inch shorter so you can run it in Q. My new goal is to find a nice solid 37-40 inch hull that can compete with the sprintcats.

Did you have to use that video? LOL

bill34207
01-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Nice hull Bill! I'm sure when its built it will be solid as usual. Too bad that hull isn't a an inch shorter so you can run it in Q. My new goal is to find a nice solid 37-40 inch hull that can compete with the sprintcats.

Did you have to use that video? LOL

Sorry about the video Bill, it was just the handiest one since it was the newest. If it makes you feel any better that setup has done pretty close to the same thing to Hugh before. I didn't lap him but did manage to make the offset jog on a couple of laps while he was running the straight line course. My Sprincat just runs great in my opinion. :thumbup1: Besides you had a good excuse with the hull you're running. It's too narrow for long oval and especially offset offshore. That's why I'm ready to sell my DF Explorer. Either of those would have some serious potential as a saw hull but I'm really not into saws.

This one actually needs to be shortened about 2 inches to be legal for Q. It measures 41-1/2" from transom to sponson tip. Right now, the best option for beating a sprintcat is another sprintcat. :laugh:

tiqueman
01-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Nice hull indeed. Bill stopped by my house on the way home from work the day he got it. Its a super clean lay up. For the money, you cant beat it.

Cant wait to see it complete Bill. As with all your builds, Im sure it will be awesome.

bill34207
01-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks Scott. Not a lot accomplished on it today. My day started with an early trip to Walmart for an oil change. While there picked up some glass cloth and resin since I didn't really trust what I had on hand. (It was getting pretty old and I didn't want to deal with a batch that didn't kick). After getting back home glassed the outside of the rail back in while the motor held it in place. Let that cure for an hour or so and pulled the motor to glass in the inside of it.
From there moved on the replacing the rudder and bracket on my Mean Machine (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1550612&page=4#post20424202)twin since the rudder for it arrived in yesterday's mail. That was a royal pain due to the way the transom bracket is made on the replacement.
After that was finished came back to the Falcon and bolted the motor back in and decided to install the stuffing tube. Now it's back to waiting for the glass to cure and maybe later covering the tube installation with a little carbon fiber cloth so it will blend in better. Think I'm pretty much done for the evening though.

tiqueman
01-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Sounds as if you got a lot accomplished.

Boaterguy
01-14-2012, 07:47 PM
walmart sells glass/ resin?

tiqueman
01-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah, its bondo brand I believe, polyester resin. Usually in a small rectangular shape can and in the automotive section. Years ago they used to sell it by the gallon. I used to get it there all the time.

megalops
01-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Scott Hang on a sec He found another bunch. he is uploading now.

megalops
01-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah, its bondo brand I believe, polyester resin. Usually in a small rectangular shape can and in teh automotive section. Years ago they used to sell it by the gallon. I used to gt it there all the time.
Scott or Bill have you ever used the bondo brand cloth they usually sell with/around that display?

tiqueman
01-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah but its pretty heavy stuff. Ive got cloth if you need it.

bill34207
01-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Scott or Bill have you ever used the bondo brand cloth they usually sell with/around that display?

Some of that is what I used today. I had some 2oz laying around but wanted something heavier for the rails. The little bit of extra weight is not going to hurt this one either.

tiqueman
01-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Bill M, I meant heavy as in thick, not weight. Perfect for what Bill H was doing w/ his rail. May not bend around complex or tight corners very well.

megalops
01-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Scott I do need some heavier i guess b/c I only have that bondo cloth. i used it once in my BJ and it seemed very thin like almost dissappered. lol.

bill34207
01-15-2012, 05:28 PM
It's been another day of not getting a lot done on this one today. Running solo means I don't have to answer to anyone, but it also means I have to do my own laundry, get groceries, etc. :olleyes:

Still managed to get the front hatch hold downs cut from some aluminum stock I had and glassed in. Added a hatch lifting knob to the rear as well. This hatch is really hard to lift out unless you happen to have hands that can palm a basketball. While I was working with resin added a layer of carbon fiber cloth ot the inside of my 47" Promise Hobby mono, too. After cracking the gelcoat on it last weekend when it barrel rolled and jumped about 6' in the air it seemed like a good idea to me.

I started adding some closed cell flotation foam down the sponsons as well. I'm thinking of maybe just wedging the packs into the foam and eliminating battery trays in the bottom of the sponsons. Any thoughts on this? Good idea, bad idea?

Brushless55
01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Looking good man!

tiqueman
01-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Bill, I wedged the packs in that FC Shocker I had and I really liked the concept. No trays. I found the cog then cut pieces to lock it in front to back from sliding that stayed in and a piece on top that I would remove to get the batts in and out. That slow mo barrel roll that you filmed, the batts hadnt moved at all when I untaped.

bill34207
01-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Guess I'm starting to milk this one. Haven't really accomplished a whole lot since the last update. Monday I finished up cutting and installing the flotation foam. Last night installed bullets on the esc, checked/set it with the castle link and test fired the motor for the 1st time (4s only). This evening made up a really simple mount from a piece of CF plate and mounted the esc in front of the motor. I plan to shorten the motor leads a bit soe the bullets are not plugged all the way in yet.
Now I have to wait for the steering servo(s) to come in. May use one, may use two. It just depends on how much luck Dave has with making me a double arm tiller for the speedmaster rudder.

Boaterguy
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
what does plugging in the bullets all the way have to do with shortening the wires?

bill34207
01-18-2012, 08:16 PM
what does plugging in the bullets all the way have to do with shortening the wires?

They are a "very snug" fit. Why make it harder on myself to uplug them when I get ready to cut the wires and solder the males back on them?

Rumdog
01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Lookin good! This bad boy is gonna FLY! What pack combo are you using for 10s2p?

bill34207
01-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks Rumdog. I'll probably back down to 9s 2p for at least the maiden runs. I have some good fresh Zippy 40c 5000's for that setup (use them in my big mono). Right now for 10s 2p I have a couple of ways to go. I have 4 Zippy 5800 30c packs (serve duty in the Miller American too) and 4 Turnigy 25 c 5000's. I could even come up with 1 set of Zippy 40c 5000's but those are the ones I normally run with 4s packs in series for 9s.

Right now my big concern is with the long battery leads that the current esc location will make for. I really need it up there for the cg though. I'd like to start this one around 35%. (that's about where my SC 40 rides).

bill34207
01-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Guess I should get in here and make an update since this one might get wet tomorrow. :buttrock:

Steering servos arrived yestrday so I've been "busy" ever since getting home from work. Got one in and that's all it's going to get for now. Another one on the opposite side will come after there's a tiller arm to attach it to. One should be sufficient as long as the long push rod doesn't start flexing on me. The Hitec digital 5645MG makes a little over 160 oz in of torque.
Got all the plumbing ran although I had to use one piece of silicon tube instead of the tygon like I normally use. As it was I used up 48" of 3/16" aluminum tubing that was in my building supples to make the main runs with just short pieces of tubing for connections to the fittings.

After getting all the gear in place loaded it up with 4 5s 5000 packs and the foam that will go into it to check the cg. It's about 1/8" short of the 35% I was shooting for but if I run 4s packs in the rear bays should be right on it or maybe a touch past it. With the batts in place found out I can shorten the battery connecting wires about 2" as well. That's the next project for today. (and maybe some decals so it isn't "naked" for it's debut) :laugh:

bill34207
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Here’s the 1st outing on my Promise Hobby Falcon cat. The video has some subtitles so it’s fairly descriptive. I’ll just add that after the final section of the run that the hottest thing was the caps on the esc at 155*. Second were the motor and battery bullets at around 145 motor at 137.
I think I need to add a little more positive to the strut angle or possibly move the cg back a little. I’d prefer to do it with strut adjustment though. I like my cats around the 35% mark. Overall I’m happy with it’s 1st outing. :smile:

http://youtu.be/br727JdZkkY

br727JdZkkY

Brushless55
01-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Awesome job man!
was this on 9s2p?
thanks

bill34207
01-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Awesome job man!
was this on 9s2p?
thanks