PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Neu Motor Size?

The Hammer
01-09-2012, 10:20 AM
After years of running knock off motors, I decided to take the plunge and buy a real Neu motor. So I bought a 1515 1.5Y S/5mm (build date sticker of 10/18/11) from Steve @ Offshore that I plan on running in my Stealth hydro on 6S (sport running). I also ordered a cooling jacket from HRC for the Neu 1515 and when I installed it, it was way too loose. The package for the jacket states it will also fit motors with a 1.556" diameter, so I measured my motor and it is 1.535" diameter! It also seems short in length but I didn't measure it. I talked to Dave at HRC and he said Neu had little to no explanation for this discrepancy. Does the "S" on the motor sticker indicate it is a "short" or "small" version or something? Has anyone seen / heard of this? I was thinking that for 6s, I probably want as much motor mass as I can get, as Jay Turner said this motor is borderline on 6S (and I'm assuming he was talking about the "standard" size). Will this motor cut it, or should I send it back?
Any info / suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Hammer

RaceMechaniX
01-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Hammer,

The S is for smooth can as opposed to Finned for the plane and car guys. The nominclature for Neu motors is "Diameter of stator in inches/active length in inches/Wind/can finish/diameter of shaft" So a 1515/1.5Y/S/5 is a 1.5" diameter stator with a 1.5" active length with a 1.5 Wye wind stator, a smooth can and a 5mm shaft. The problem with the jacket is that Neu changed the can diameter from 39mm to 40mm. This is why the jacket fits very tight. The 1515 will be fine for sport running in a Stealth as long as you watch temps.

Tyler

RaceMechaniX
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
double post

HRC
01-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Hammer,
The other size "O" rings will go out in the mail tomorrow for you to try. Fingers crossed. Your motor being a smaller OD is a strange one for sure. Steven may be able to help with your motor if the "O" rings I am sending will not work.

Tyler is correct, when I talked to NEU last week I was told they changed the OD of the 1515 cans to the same as the 1521/1527 OD size.
Also the 1515 motors are 1/8" longer now and the front end bell is bolted on from the front not the side.

The standard NEU 1515 jackets will be very hard if not impossible to use on the new style motors. We are in the process of changing our
spec. for the new size.
Dave