PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent power issues

jagr68
01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Seem to be experencing some intermittent power issuses on my new (just out of the box) Impulse 31. I have fully charged lipo packs. Turn the switch on the ESC to On and sometimes nothing other times the receiver powers up steering works but no throttle. The ESC beeps sometimes and other time nothing. Anybody have any sugesstions. I just got started in this sport and have everything to learn about it. Thanks

domwilson
01-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Have you programmed the ESC? Do you turn on the Radio first? Double check all connections. Make sure they are all tight.

jagr68
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I programmed the ESC today with the PRB3311 card.

Battery type - Li-Po
Cut off voltage - High
Cutoff type - Idle
Brake - On
Timing - Low
Throttle curce - Idle

Turn the radio on first and I've checked the connections repeatedly they all seem good.

domwilson
01-05-2012, 11:23 PM
If this is a brand new out of the box item, it would be best to contact the manufacturer. Something may be defective or they may have solutions.
This problem reminds me of the first issues with the Blackjack 26.

Darin Jordan
01-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Two things come to mind...

1st - Deans connectors are notorious for NOT making solid contact when fully pushed together... Try plugging them in leaving them just a TAD shy of being fully pushed together and see if that helps. One trick is to use a small rubber o-ring on the male contacts to keep them from fully seating together. Sounds odd, but it happens ALL the time.

2nd - Set your Cut-Off Voltage to Low... That will tell you if your Lipos are solid.

The sequence of "on-ness" should be:

1) Turn on your TX
2) Plug in the batteries
3) Turn on the ESC
4) Don't touch anything until the ESC lights up orange and the boat is armed.

Sometimes, when the TX is too close to the RX, it won't initialize properly. Needs to be REALLY close, but it happens.

The beeping is going to depend on where the rotor position is in the motor. The beeping sound is actually the ESC sending pulsed through the motor, so if the rotor is rotated slightly, it may or may not beep, or the beep will be very faint. You can rotate the coupler a little next time and you'll likely then hear it beep.

I guess one other thing to check... Make sure that the 3.5mm contacts between the motor and ESC are still soldered solidly in place.

Hope this helps.

jagr68
01-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the tips.

It is the Deans connectors. When they are fully seated they loose contact. If I pull them out slightly they make connection.

I purchased 5.5 mm contacts from OSE to replace the Deans but didn't want to use them in case I had an ESC problem, wasn't sure if Horizon would honor the warrenty if I modified their product.

Again Thanks to all for the help.

Darin Jordan
01-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the tips.

It is the Deans connectors. When they are fully seated they loose contact. If I pull them out slightly they make connection.

I purchased 5.5 mm contacts from OSE to replace the Deans but didn't want to use them in case I had an ESC problem, wasn't sure if Horizon would honor the warrenty if I modified their product.

Again Thanks to all for the help.

Honestly, the Deans are just barely adequate anyhow... These power systems regularly exceed the 60A rating of the Deans.

Another tip would be to remove the Y-Harness completely. (this will all likely void any warranty, by the way). I trim the ESC down to the two main power wires, and then series the batteries AT the batteries. Once you change to the 5.5mm contacts, this will be simple to do, and will remove the extra wire, which is extra resistance...

stadiumyamaha
01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Nice call.

jagr68
01-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Just finished changing everything over to 5.5mm bullet connectors. That's nice!!! and no jumper.

Thanks again

Stephavee
04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I just did the same thing...And my temps were cooler!74234

JimClark
04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
the Deans could be the Chinese knockoffs which are way worse that the real thing