PDA

View Full Version : Looky what Santa Snap-on dropped off to me today!

jj2003
12-30-2011, 11:52 PM
I was notified today by my Snap-on rep that he had a package for me. I had been waiting for some tools to come off of backorder so I suspected they had come in. When he walked in the door with this huge box, I thought"what the hell did he order me?" A few months back I purchased a new tool box and he entered me in a raffle contest. I thought, O.K. , I already bought the box so what the heck. He gave me 10 tickets to drop in a box for my choice of the Spartan or a Slash. 5 in the Spartan, 5 in the Slash. Would have never thought! So now I have another Traxxas Spartan, with the new castle system and updated hull. Very Cool. Thanks goes out to Bill Goc III, my Snap-On rep:beerchug:

srislash
12-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Hey,that's pretty cool bonus jj! Should be fairly unique.

HYDROJERRY
12-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Lucky!!!! i have about 8k in snap-on tools and have played many raffles and have never got nothin,, you so lucky!!! enjoy it bro..

jj2003
12-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Lucky!!!! i have about 8k in snap-on tools and have played many raffles and have never got nothin,, you so lucky!!! enjoy it bro..

Thanks Jerry! Because its a limited edition, I dont know if i'm going to get a newer bare from ebay or someplace and put this one on display or run it! I have never won anything from Snappy either so this is first for me!:w00t: That's probably why I want to display it!:lol: I haven't even opened the sealed box yet to look at it up close!:laugh:

Hey,that's pretty cool bonus jj! Should be fairly unique.

Thanks Slash! I was so surprised when he walked in with it!:ohmy: I said "You didn't bring my stuff?" He said "Yes I did! This is it!"
I said "NO WAY!" My jaw dropped!

HYDROJERRY
12-31-2011, 06:14 PM
well if you didnt pay for it,,,,,,get it wet !!!!!!

detox
12-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Lucky you. I would not break the seal......................yet.

keithbradley
01-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Very cool John. It's nice to see stuff like this go to someone who deserves it! Congrats!

jj2003
01-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks Keith! I haven't won much in my life but at least this is something I will for sure use! I just got back home from visiting my FIL at Roswell. I'll be responding to your post on FC shortly.

marko500
01-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Jeez if you don't want to open it I'm sure one of us at the pond would be willing to open it and try it for you. Maybe I'll stop by your house and you can come with me to buy some lotto tickets. Nice!!

Mark

jj2003
01-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Jeez if you don't want to open it I'm sure one of us at the pond would be willing to open it and try it for you. Maybe I'll stop by your house and you can come with me to buy some lotto tickets. Nice!!

Mark

I'm not good at the lottery! I usually win on the gun raffle though! :roflol: I think Ill wait till our first outing at the pond and offer it up for sale! I'm gonna need some funds for the Dumas!

marko500
01-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Hey I'll take a new gun. I've bought alot of gun raffle tickets over the years and have never won.
I did win a basket of coffee supplies once at a basket raffle at my kids school..... enjoyed it but not the same as a new boat or gun. lol

Mark

Fluxn81
01-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Cool. What's the difference between the regular and snap on version?

jj2003
01-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Cool. What's the difference between the regular and snap on version?

Take a look at the first picture in the sequence. That's the actual boat. All red, Snap on insignia with CF looking paint scheme.

Fluxn81
01-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Take a look at the first picture in the sequence. That's the actual boat. All red, Snap on insignia with CF looking paint scheme.

That's it? Lol, it looks good. I think think the Traxxas paint job is overly done.

jj2003
01-03-2012, 10:24 PM
That's it? Lol, it looks good. I think think the Traxxas paint job is overly done.

I thought so too! I did a makeover on my first!

jj2003
01-03-2012, 10:28 PM
These were taken after I put on the windscreen from monojeff and some leftover decals from Fightercat.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?albumid=738

Fluxn81
01-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I thought so too! I did a makeover on my first!

Wow, what did you use? I'm new to boats so I just use plastidip, lol.

http://i44.tinypic.com/atm1xs.jpg

jj2003
01-03-2012, 10:34 PM
That came out really cool! I like how you kept the red and faded in the black! I used automotive grade "rattle can"! First was a silver base, then a "particle" red. Then epoxy based black and faded the red into the black. Then 3 coats of high temp engine enamel clear. Took alongggg time! Almost a month! 1 week for each color to dry so it wouldn't wrinkle!

Fluxn81
01-03-2012, 10:48 PM
That came out really cool! I like how you kept the red and faded in the black! I used automotive grade "rattle can"! First was a silver base, then a "particle" red. Then epoxy based black and faded the red into the black. Then 3 coats of high temp engine enamel clear. Took alongggg time! Almost a month! 1 week for each color to dry so it wouldn't wrinkle!

Yeah, I like it. You do some great work. I may have to try it with my next set up. I thought it would be different then a RC car body since it was going in the water so I wanted to use the least amount of whatever I was going to use. I knew plastidip was a one-step process so it would be the lightest, lol. It's plastic, though so.....

Fluxn81
01-03-2012, 10:50 PM

Fluxn81
01-03-2012, 10:51 PM

jj2003
01-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the compliment! Any automotive grade paint will work. High temp preferably as it's a bit harder. If you urethane over it it will last for some time and wont fade from exposure to the sunlight.

This stuff works great! Its two part urethane just like what they use in a base/clear automotive paint. About 20 bucks a can but well worth the investment!

Fluxn81
01-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the compliment! Any automotive grade paint will work. High temp preferably as it's a bit harder. If you urethane over it it will last for some time and wont fade from exposure to the sunlight.

This stuff works great! Its two part urethane just like what they use in a base/clear automotive paint. About 20 bucks a can but well worth the investment!

Would I use primer, then paint, then this instead of clear?

jj2003
01-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Yes. Depending on the color you want to use. Silver is the best as a base if you want some sparkle. They have different size metalflake as well, fine, medium and coarse. When you apply your color, apply it in thin coats about 10 minutes apart but don't cover it completely or you wont get the effect of the metalflake. Wait about a week between each color ( primer base, color, clear). When you get your desired effect, then seal it with urethane. Be sure to give yourself some good ventilation as this stuff will make your head spin!:blink: :laugh:

Fluxn81
01-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes. Depending on the color you want to use. Silver is the best as a base if you want some sparkle. They have different size metalflake as well, fine, medium and coarse. When you apply your color, apply it in thin coats about 10 minutes apart but don't cover it completely or you wont get the effect of the metalflake. Wait about a week between each color ( primer base, color, clear). When you get your desired effect, then seal it with urethane. Be sure to give yourself some good ventilation as this stuff will make your head spin!:blink: :laugh:

Ok, so the can you suggested is the clear or the urethane?... What do you mean by not covering it completely?

jj2003
01-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Use a fade effect over the primer/base (silver). Applying light coats will allow you to judge how much metal-flake you want to pop through. If you don't want metal-flake and prefer a solid color, then if the color you choose is dark, use a dark primer( dark grey). It will allow the color to cover better. If a lighter color use a lighter color primer(light grey). If red or orange, use red oxide. Then use just urethane, no clear. I used the clear on that one because it is my son's boat now and I know he will get some scuffs and some abrasions:lol: so repair will be rather inexpensive. $7 a can of clear vs $20 a can of urethane! 1 can of clear is enough to do 2 light coats to allow it to tack up and 1 heavy coat for the shine :drool:! The 2 part urethane will cover in 1 light coat and 1 heavy coat. But with the activator, they want you to use the entire contents in about 1 hour and then you have to toss it. But it last's allot longer!

Fluxn81
01-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I may pm you when I start painting in the spring.

jj2003
01-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Sure thing! Happy to help out!