PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on battery purchase

Back-lash
12-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I just recieved a Impulse 31 for Christmas and I need to purchase some batteries. I'm looking at ordering a pair of Hard Case Gens Ace 5000mAh 2S1P 40C and chargers. I've noticed that these batteries are targeted for airplanes, does that make a difference. I figured batteries are batteries (obviously there are better ones than others), but if the specs fit the intended use, I should be fine. Is that correct? If not, what batteries would you guys recommend for this boat? It's completely stock.

JimClark
12-30-2011, 08:58 PM
no need for the hard case

ejimbo4
12-30-2011, 09:10 PM
I run two of these together....picked up four of them because they are cheap and I have 20 runs on them so far and they are still balancing fine...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16194

SFC K
12-31-2011, 02:57 AM
I run two of these together....picked up four of them because they are cheap and I have 20 runs on them so far and they are still balancing fine...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16194

Those have the 5.5mm connectors on them. Do the OSE 5.5mm connectors fit these? I use the same batteries for all my ground base vehicles but have Deans connectors on them. I just received my Impulse 31 as well and would rather stick with one type of connector. Is it really necessary to have 5.5mm connectors if I leave the boat stock except for maybe a better prop?

G-UNIT
12-31-2011, 04:54 PM
You could use the deans but they are a bear to solder on those large guage wires that come with the turnigy batterys, I would rather replace the deans with 5.5 connecters any day.
If you over prop the chances of desoldering the deans will happen do to increase amp draw and heat. JMO.

SFC K
01-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I have soldered the deans plugs on the Turnigy packs and they are difficult but I have never had any issues with them. I might just do the 5.5mm bullet connectors and make a lead that goes back to deans for my ground based vehicles. The only thing that makes me leery of the bullet connectors is being super cautious with the positive and negative ends that are not protected from arcing. This is fine if you are not unplugging them all the time you can use shrink tube, but for the battery ends this is not feasible. The EC5 plugs look like a better option for the Battery ends…

veejo
02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Not sure why people seem to have trouble with deans unsoldering. When soldered properly, the joint should be low resistance, there are probably higher resistance joints in the esc and motor that would unsolder first or fail first (higher resistance, e.g. get to pcb in esc, or lead into motor). Having bought a few used models, and seeing the way people have soldered deans onto escs and batteries, (and some bullet connectors) and I'm surprised they even worked. I work in the electronics industry and have been soldering since college, so that might be why I don't have an issue. The resistance of the connector, if soldered properly has bigger issues with cross section of the areas making contact, or corrosion. I left my boat with deans, solder deans onto the batteries, and the connectors and joints don't get hot .... other parts of the circuit do. Wouldn't mind trying xt60 as they seem easier to plug and unplug, and can be handled by my 5 year old son.

Back-lash
02-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I converted over to 5.5 bullet connectors, but I have to redo them now (need to reconfigure them). I'm actually thinking of using EC5 connectors. Thoughts?

veejo
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
At least with EC5 you have less connectors to plug together to get the boat ready, or to charge your batteries.

Back-lash
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
From what I've read, the EC5 connectors can handle 120+ amps. I'm thinking they will handle the load with no problem, and they should alot easier the handle than just the straight bullet connectors.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9194__EC5_5mm_Connector_Pair_.html

JimClark
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I used them on my 1/10th scale last year (only 2 races) and they worked great though I am not pulling huge amps.

d.a.v.e
04-30-2012, 01:42 AM
I ran EC5's on my Geico last year with no problems and they don't get nearly as hot as the deans. My deans melted (several times). I like them but make sure you get a extra one or two as once you click them into the plastic your not getting them out unless you cut the plastic case off.