PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish 200a Qusetion

floatn turd
12-26-2011, 08:46 PM
I am trying to hook up my ESC to my stock "trigger" radio that came with the Motley Crew.
My question is, I followed all the instructions that came with the swordfish, and tried a bunch of different ways but I cant the throttle to "set" in the direction I like. Everything I set the ESC the throttle position is as follows: "PULLING" the trigger all the way back= Zero throttle, letting the trigger "go" to the neutral position= "full throttle" and trigger PUSHED past the neutral position = does nothing.
(PS When I turn the receiver "off" the motor just goes full throttle, I have to pull the trigger all the way back to zero throttle 'hold it' then unplug the batts)

I don't know if all Swordfish Esc's are setup that way. But the way I would like to have it would be: "Pull back" on the trigger and the boat goes, "let go" of the trigger the boat STOPS. That how it was with the stock ESC that came with the boat.

How do I get the ESC set up how I like it? or is that just how swordfish are?

Thanks

macgrsp
01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi, this is my first input on this forum.... but I just installed the 200 amp swordfish ESC and am having the identical problem that you described above. I have tried everything I know in order to
"initialize" or "teach" this ESC to learn the proper throttle control... to no avail. Every combination of powering on the receiver first, then plugging in the batteries or visa-versa have not helped. I
tried several different settings on the programming card, which also did not correct the throttle control of this ESC (but it did learn the features of that programming card like the "brake" feature).
One thing I did notice was that if I reversed the servo control on the transmitter, the throttle would work in the correct "direction", however, it would be at part throttle in the "neutral" position.
The only way to make the motor stop turning was to push the trigger control all the way forward (which would be reverse in a car or reversible ESC). Also, as you described, as soon as you turn
off your transmitter, the ESC would go to full throttle and spin out of control while you scramble for the battery connector. I am extremely disappointed in this product! I think I will try and return
it as it is basically new. Good luck yourself....

floatn turd
01-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I got the throttle setting thing worked out, but still have the "full throttle" thing go on when I turn off the transmitter. Have not found the answer to that one.

I will send you the correct sequence on how to get the radio set correctly to the ESC. (on Tues)

Shoot me a PM Tues to remind me

josh

Steven Vaccaro
01-05-2012, 06:53 AM
John I got this from Michelle.

"This issue is perhaps caused by signal disturbance from receiver. Because when tx is off, at this very short time there may a wrong or disturbance signal get into rx.
In order to solve the issue, please ask customer to do a bench-testing and see whether it is caused by receiver or ESC.

When everything is running normally, then pull out the receiver lead of ESC from receiver, and see whether it would happen the same issue?"

siberianhusky
01-05-2012, 07:48 AM
I had the same problem in reverse on my SV, stock esc would not arm properly when I set up my new spektrum radio. DIaled some very strange settings into the TX and now it works, I had to set the throttle trim to B-20 and the travel to forwards and back 130%.
It was doing exactly as you describe though, but different radio stock esc.
No idea why but is seems these kind of issues have popped up before, I found my solution on a boat forum based in London On.
I have a UL-1 esc I haven't tried yet so I don't know if it will do the same thing.

circus162
01-05-2012, 08:47 AM
You need to unplug the boat batteries before turning off the transmitter. By turning off the tx fisrt, the rx is not receiving any info on what to do.

HOTWATER
01-05-2012, 09:27 AM
You need to unplug the boat batteries before turning off the transmitter. By turning off the tx fisrt, the rx is not receiving any info on what to do.

Definately!

Steven Vaccaro
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Thats a definite yes, but when the esc loses its signal it should shut down. Thats what we are now testing for.

floatn turd
01-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Thats a definite yes, but when the esc loses its signal it should shut down. Thats what we are now testing for.

Steve,
thanks for the help.
and yes, I'm just worried about loosing a the signal for whatever reason, and my boat taking sailing off into the sunset.

crash440
01-05-2012, 12:29 PM
If it is like the seaking setup give this a try 9out of 10 you have to rev. the throtle ok here we go make sure it is off for 1 min.then you turn on your tx pull and hold the throtle all the way back and plug in your batt. pack at this time you will hear two beep that means full throtle has been set you then release the throtle trigger and it is set wait for a long beep comes out of programing it is now ready to try, If you still have the problem with it running in neutral then it is epa. The epa should be set prior to doing this so at this point you have to set the end point to 100% then redo throtle setup.Also if you want to setup rev.throtle you do that part through the esc programming.Hope this helps peace

srislash
01-05-2012, 10:54 PM
If it is like the seaking setup give this a try 9out of 10 you have to rev. the throtle ok here we go make sure it is off for 1 min.then you turn on your tx pull and hold the throtle all the way back and plug in your batt. pack at this time you will hear two beep that means full throtle has been set you then release the throtle trigger and it is set wait for a long beep comes out of programing it is now ready to try, If you still have the problem with it running in neutral then it is epa. The epa should be set prior to doing this so at this point you have to set the end point to 100% then redo throtle setup.Also if you want to setup rev.throtle you do that part through the esc programming.Hope this helps peace
Your mostly right.You hear two beeps then wait for another set of beeps and release trigger after one of them.You guys had me worried with this thread but I just fired both ESC's up tonight in my Shocker and they seem fine.Everything works perfect.Of coarse,it hasn't hit the water yet:scared:

crash440
01-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Sweet!

srislash
01-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Hey crash,the Geico looks good in orange.

Bullwink
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I have a new Swordfish 240A. I programmed it with the programming box. This esc requires a separate BEC. However, it will only arm and throttle will only work when the BEC is not plugged in. The motor will only beep and sing when the BEC is not plugged in. The throttle works fine without the BEC but the servo does not. I hope this is just operator error. Thoughts?

Bullwink
01-07-2012, 12:09 AM
I figured it out. It was operator error. There is a "Y" Connector on the end of the JST connector I thought was just an extension. Anyway, when I unplugged that and connected, everything works perfect.