PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Psychology Christmas Gift

BILL OXIDEAN
12-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I am thrilled this morning to wake up and open my christmas gift to find that my girlfriend bought me an RC plane!
I find it kinda' "Ironic" that she's an airplane pilot, and she was DETERMINED to get this for me. When I opened it she said "Yeah, I can play with it too"

Isn't it the guy who usually does that? :smile::sarcasm1:

Jeff Wohlt
12-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Billy, I got the stuff in for your order and plan to ship next week. You will love flying! Very addicting...more than FE boats, I think. I have 200 acreas out my front door that is a dairy farm and not a tree around so I do like walking out and flying...no tape, loading up and all that stuff. It does take some skill but we started with that same plane but 3 channel. We stuck in a hot outrunner motor and it screams on 3s I think it is a 2826 1600KV and a 40 amps ESC.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Billy, I got the stuff in for your order and plan to ship next week. You will love flying! Very addicting...more than FE boats, I think. I have 200 acreas out my front door that is a dairy farm and not a tree around so I do like walking out and flying...no tape, loading up and all that stuff. It does take some skill but we started with that same plane but 3 channel. We stuck in a hot outrunner motor and it screams on 3s I think it is a 2826 1600KV and a 40 amps ESC.

No biggie on the parts Wohlt, I'm an understanding guy when it comes to ordering stuff (provided I don't have a race coming up Ha!)
That being said, my success with this plane has been nill. I took her out on the beach, gave it some throttle and it stuffed itself into the sand.
No rip on Hobbyzone, but I think theres a huge MFGR defect. I believe the propeller shaft is aligned wrong because the motor was mounted crooked.
I'm lost when it comes to planes, does this look right? It appears to me that the prop is pointed downward

Do I need to box up and send this pup back?

BILL OXIDEAN
12-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Here's a better look. i'd be willing to bet this thing is wrong. Its got lots of negative angle in the shaft66595

Darin Jordan
12-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Bill... thta's how they are suppose to be... The motors and planes aren't suppose to be in perfect alignment. Don't recall why, but it's normal... Fly away!

raptor347
12-25-2011, 02:00 PM
That's the way it's supposed to be. Counters torque and throttle/pitch coupling.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Bill... thta's how they are suppose to be... The motors and planes aren't suppose to be in perfect alignment. Don't recall why, but it's normal... Fly away!

There he is, I was gonna post this on FB and tag you.
We were JUST talking about small planes and you recommended some hobby zone and Horizon planes.

Thanx for the info!

BILL OXIDEAN
12-25-2011, 02:53 PM
That's the way it's supposed to be. Counters torque and throttle/pitch coupling.

And thanx for the technical reason why its like that. Unfortunately when it hit the medium, sand got all in the gear reduction.
Should I split the fuselage, remove the unit, clean out the gears and try again?

BILL OXIDEAN
12-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Ok, I got too anxious to wait for you guys to reply lol!
I'm gonna take a toothbrush and some air to this sandy unit and try again, I'll keep you guys posted!

I'm SUPER anxious to be a plane guy.
Just know that once i can fly this baby, I'm gonna' think I'm the MAN lol! :sarcasm1:

Hobby zone/Horizon make quality products, I won't be surprised if this little cub lasts for years to come.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Ok, now she's back in action repaired, cleaned and ready to to go. I'l keep you guys posted..

BILL OXIDEAN
12-25-2011, 03:51 PM
I can fly!
I ended up climbing a tree, then hopping a neighbors fence getting chased by a dog, but I did a Loopty Loop!!
i DEFINITELY need a big grass field to learn model aviation.

-Thanx guys

srislash
12-25-2011, 06:50 PM
That's keeping you entertained isn't it.Hehe I've been thinking of getting one of those myelf.

desmobob
12-25-2011, 10:27 PM
I have one of those that I use for the relaxing winter indoor RC flying sessions that my RC club has in a local gym.

I also believe it be what might be the best possible model airplane to use if you want to try to teach yourself RC flying. It's so lightweight and slow, it is very crash-damage-resistant. It also flies very well, is very inexpensive, comes complete with radio and batteries, and has the excellent backing of Horizon Hobby customer service!

Take it easy,
desmobob