PDA

View Full Version : How to get the cooling hose onto a hard to reach bulkhead nipple

Mattwarner
12-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Ok so as the title suggests i reallly struggled getting the cooling hose on from inside the hull (37" Genesis Cat) , I read tips about long nosed pliers and washing up soap but i simply couldnt do it and got increasingly frustrated!

I then had a brainwave which i thought i would share!

1. get yourselves a length of stiff wire, I used 2mm servo pushrod which worked perfectly

2. Poke the wire through from the outside of the hull inwards with enough left on the outside to hold onto.

3. Soap up the end of the cooling hose and thread it onto the end of the wire which will guide it straight onto the nipple, with a bit of force the hose will slip into place.

Backwash with some fresh water to remove the soap and DONE!

slowride
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
I most often just find my Grand kids with there little hands, works great. :cool:

Mattwarner
12-16-2011, 11:15 AM
My Daughter has only just turned 1 so its going to be a few more years before shes of any help!!

sanyijr
12-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Too funny. You will just have to wait a year or two.....

I have a set of medical lock treezers.... those work depending on angle and location

Sean

bigwaveohs
12-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Or you could apply DFM (Design For Manufacturability) from the git-go...

properchopper
12-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Ok so as the title suggests i reallly struggled getting the cooling hose on from inside the hull (37" Genesis Cat) , I read tips about long nosed pliers and washing up soap but i simply couldnt do it and got increasingly frustrated!

I then had a brainwave which i thought i would share!

1. get yourselves a length of stiff wire, I used 2mm servo pushrod which worked perfectly

2. Poke the wire through from the outside of the hull inwards with enough left on the outside to hold onto.

3. Soap up the end of the cooling hose and thread it onto the end of the wire which will guide it straight onto the nipple, with a bit of force the hose will slip into place.

Backwash with some fresh water to remove the soap and DONE!

Hey Matt, You been spyin' on me or what ? That's exactly how I've done it for years. 'Cept I use a 4-40 servo rod with the threaded end in the silicone tubing; kind'a grips the tubing. I just put some spit into the tubing; works best after eating some McFries ! Good find and thanks for sharing :thumbup1:

megalops
12-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Hemostats work great for the tight areas as well.

Mattwarner
12-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Hey Matt, You been spyin' on me or what ? That's exactly how I've done it for years. 'Cept I use a 4-40 servo rod with the threaded end in the silicone tubing; kind'a grips the tubing. I just put some spit into the tubing; works best after eating some McFries ! Good find and thanks for sharing :thumbup1:

Nope! Wish I had, it would have saved me 40mins of stress!

HYDROJERRY
12-17-2011, 08:15 AM
i work in a shop and have a realy big snap-on toolbox pritty much loaded with tools,, if you use long needal nose pliers, like 14in long that have the 90 degree nose on them, they work great..

properchopper
12-17-2011, 12:06 PM

One thing I've experienced using the "needle nose" technique is that the pliers may put an invisible tear in the tubing - leak city. Best to pressure-test the lines before running. Here's what I use : Screw onto sink faucet, plug into input hose, slowly turn on faucet & watch for water intrusion . :thumbup1: