PDA

View Full Version : What a let down

chisoxguy13
04-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Had my BJ come in yesterday only to learn after tearing out the battery trays and inserting the velcro and lubing the shaft that the ESC is probably fried. Have to wait another week to get in the water. Think I might go crazy. :thumbsdown:

obrien
04-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I hear ya on that. My stock esc went out the 2nd time I ran the boat.

chisoxguy13
04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
:help: Any advise on a new ESC? Have seen a couple, but not sure which one to get. I am running Venom 20C 5000mah lipos. They are sending a new stock one, but I am sure that is something I want to replace soon. Want to run the boat before I start deciding what other mods I want to make. I am new to this world and am like a sponge and there are no FE boat enthusiast in my area. Thanks for any advice.

obrien
04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
I was running a hydra 120 for a while on my boat with the ammo 2300 motor. However I don't think you need that much of a speed control. Just take a look through the site and see what other speed controls the guys are using. I like the hydra esc's because you can program them with a laptop very easily.

chisoxguy13
04-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Nice. Thank you. And the thing I said about wanting to run the boat before trying any other mods....... Ha Ha. Well I will run it stock first, but just ordered the Skater II system from Twisted. I'll let everyone know how it works when I get out there. Just liked the fact that it didnt' require any other holes for now. Have to get the antenna moved too.

Doby
04-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Get the stock one, run it and then decide weather to change it or not. You might be happy. Don't spend the money on a controller you may not need.

obrien
04-04-2008, 05:58 PM
only reason I suggested upgrading the esc, was to allow for upgraded motors in the future. But you are right, he may not want to upgrade.

chisoxguy13
04-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the advise. I wouldn't change the ESC till I was ready for a motor change anyway. I know I want to play with different drive systems though. Don't like the idea of the torque being steerable with the inline drive. I know it is a proven design used in several boats, but the logic seems like an unstable design for high speed. I know I will have plenty of time to try different setups though.

chisoxguy13
04-05-2008, 12:33 PM
The boot on the servo looks like it's ok, but has anyone had any problems with it?

Monsterbrad
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Is this boat worth it or should I get the new Formula V-Tech
Or a Super Vee 27??

chisoxguy13
04-08-2008, 08:06 PM
:thumbsdown: Got in the water today for the first time and after running for about 5 minutes with only gunning it on the straights and barely going at all in the turns I brought it up to run it out straight from me to check the cavitation and I went to hit the throtle and saw smoke coming from the antenna. Needless to say it wasn't coming back on it's own. By the time I got the rescue boat around it and drug it to shore it was FRIED!!!! Not too happy so far. Should have a new one by next Tuesday.

ETOWNE
04-08-2008, 10:36 PM
:thumbsdown: Got in the water today for the first time and after running for about 5 minutes with only gunning it on the straights and barely going at all in the turns I brought it up to run it out straight from me to check the cavitation and I went to hit the throtle and saw smoke coming from the antenna. Needless to say it wasn't coming back on it's own. By the time I got the rescue boat around it and drug it to shore it was FRIED!!!! Not too happy so far. Should have a new one by next Tuesday.

Maybe the receiver caused the speedo to burn up in the first place ? Seen it happen on land vehicles. I got mine 3 weeks ago, put it in the water for the first time last friday night. I pry ran 20 times this weekend. The only problem I had is after I changed the receiver to spektrum and removed the antenna tube, the hatch blew off sunday morning. Scared me, I thought the boat was blowing over....lol..Masking tape fixed the problem. Sorry, to hear your experience.

Apples1
04-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Is this boat worth it or should I get the new Formula V-Tech
Or a Super Vee 27??

it's definatly worth it, the BJ26 smokes the SV27 after mods and the BJ26 doesnt have the Nick name Superflip 27 either.

Saying that i do like the V-tech it seems to come with a better hardware set up (offset rudder) having seen it in action yet though.

txboatpilot
04-09-2008, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Apples1;34073]it's definatly worth it, the BJ26 smokes the SV27 after mods and the BJ26 doesnt have the Nick name Superflip 27 either.

Do you have any video of BJ26's "SMOKING" SV27's...:confused2: I have owned both (modded and stock), both have handling issues.. Both are very fast and fun when run with the right prop and batteries...:spy:

I have seen alot more "superflips" at the races compared to BJ26's... :wink:

Fluid
04-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Got in the water today for the first time and after running for about 5 minutes with only gunning it on the straights and barely going at all in the turns I brought it up to run it out straight from me to check the cavitation and I went to hit the throtle and saw smoke coming from the antenna....
The problem is most likely the fact that you used the throttle so much. Brushless controllers do not like operating at part throttle, they are less efficient and will build up a lot of heat, either thermalling or burning eventually. Had you run the boat wide open for most of that length of time, you probably would have had no problem at all.

chisoxguy13
04-09-2008, 04:35 PM
I was running full throttle most of the time. I wasn't on a corse, just in the pond at the local park. My turns were short ones and I was doing long passes so my time off full throttle was limited. I passed it by me a couple of times and it was getting plenty of water too.

evan002
04-11-2008, 03:37 PM
i just got my Bj about a month ago and i want to get more speed out of it. Is there a good motor setup to use???