PDA

View Full Version : Kos p1 trim tabs/turn fins ?

lenny
12-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi,:tiphat:
The new Kos p1 I have has combo trim tabs/ turn fins in one,:glare:
Are they any good or should I get some real turn fins ?

Thanks for any input.:beerchug:

Lenny D

tunnelvision
12-13-2011, 09:08 PM
The OSE small fins are the ones I used on my boat and they worked great. Its a very shallow v so you dont want tabs running to deep and causing alot of drag. I angled them back as well.
If anything it needs longer tabs or weight added to the front. It rides bow light and can blow over even in stock trim.

lenny
12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I was going to move the esc and put the cells on each side of motor mount to get a better balance of the boat.
The stock trim tabs have 1/2" fins on them hanging down past the bottom of the hull.
Is this new from venom ?

lenny
12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Hear are some pictures,6559665597655986559965600

tlandauer
12-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey Lenny,I ordered mine from Tower Hobbies and I just opened the box 5 min. ago and was going to post this same question, while I believe the small OSE turn fins are great but I ordered this one purely for the looks. Question is for sport running are they good enough? Anyone has used similar combo tabs/turn fins before? My concern is that the "fins" are a bit too close to the center thus reducing their effectiveness.

lenny
12-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I was just going to switch them around,
Put left on right and right on left.
That may work better, I still need a motor mount for mine.
The stock one sucks and stripped out.

tlandauer
12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I thought of that too! But, what about the slanted corners? those are facing the out side! Any thoughts?

jamespl
02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I just hot my second p1. I sold my first one but missed it too much. It's nice to see venom doing a couple of updates

tlandauer
02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Let me know how she runs with the updated tab/fin combo , I haven't maidened mine because in the mean time I got another used one here at the forum ( don't ask why, I suppose I have an afinity for the look of the hull) from a well respected member, he put micro fins on her and when I ran the boat she runs like on rails, I just tried 3s, rather slow, the three bladed prop did not work for me, switched to a x442 and much better, then I hit something and slightly nicked one of the blade, so I changed to a x642 that I had with me, wow, better still!
I suppose it is safe to run the stock ESC with 4s, but would the x642 to be too big? Guess x442 would be more reasonable.

lenny
02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I just hot my second p1. I sold my first one but missed it too much. It's nice to see venom doing a couple of updates

Hi.
Did you do any mods to your old one or new one ?
I am trying to mod mine and offset the stock rudder and bracket.
Also changing the inside setup for CG and better battery placement and running mood,
I never ran one of this boats yet, But looking to run it on 4s2p I think.
With stock motor and esc with a x640 prop.
My stock stinger looks screwed up, I need to find close up picture of a new one to compare it to.

tlandauer
02-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I know the above questions aren't for me,but if I may say in regards to CG, I find the stock position to be ok, I ran two 3s Sky Lipo 5000mah, 40C. I put two of those and connected them parallel. What I did different was placing them longitudinally. I "stuffed" one on portside and the other one right on the center of the boat. Stactic on water she lists rather seriously on the portside, but the torque under power gives the boat perfect side to side balance.
By the way, the portside battery's end touches the servo stand, with a little overhang on the other side (motor) side, center battery alongside , they both have over hang on the motor side. CG was ok, but , this just my $0.02

jamespl
02-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Here is a vid of what I done with my last one. I think I will be sticking to 4s on the new one though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzVngkHZ3E

tlandauer
02-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Thanks for posting that vid., I noticed you used a Seaking 90A ESC, if I am right you were using 5s lipo, no issues? Forgot to mention that the coupler ruined the flex cable---funny thing, I have not ONCE had good luck with coupler. Ordered a collet here at OSE, still waiting along with the cable.

jamespl
02-09-2012, 05:54 AM
It ran fine on 5s. Looking back though I would have gone with the T120. I've ordered one for my new p1

tlandauer
02-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Mine came today, I will put the 120A in when I have time to solder everything up, by the way, the hull being a light weight not withstanding, I find it some what delicate and in this case no transom doubler! When I hit something the other day I thought it would have cracked, but the lower mounting hole on the rudder is a long one and it allowed the rudder to swing up a bit, guess that helped, I should use nylon shear bolts.