PDA

View Full Version : New To Hobby And.....

jabomano
12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi all...

I'm new to rc boating and would like some input as to choosing a screaming fast electric runner as my FIRST boat....

The boat I finally buy will have to be RTR also.

I'll throw out a three models I've been considering:

Genesis
Sea Fire
Venom King Of Shaves

Any others you can add please do. I'd really like some guidance from you guys.

Thanks.

Ray
www.raybayer.com

Gimp
12-07-2011, 08:41 PM
The Proboat Miss Geico was my first boat. Either that or the Proboat Mystic would be a great starter.

From what I've read, the KOS's are RTR nightmares and the hull quality isn't that great. The Genesis is down right awesome (I run a Daytona which is basically the same thing), but it's not RTR. Can't say I've ever seen or heard of anyone with a HK Sea Fire.

What exactly are you looking for and what type of water are you running on? Racing or just sport boating?

jabomano
12-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi Gimp.

I won't be racing (at least not now) and the water will eventually be the fresh water lakes of Ft. Myers, Florida with the Gulf of Mexico beckoning in the distance. I say eventually because I now live in Pittsburgh but own a home in Ft. Myers but I won't be moving for about 12 months.

And no I don't want RTR nightmares...that's for sure.

Gimp
12-07-2011, 11:12 PM
If you like cats, I'll stand behind the 2 Proboats I mentioned before. I had my Geico for a few months, then sold it to have a custom Fighter Cat Daytona built.

The Mystic is shaping up to be the best bang for your buck in my opinion. All you'll need is a few 2s LiPo's and a charger to get up and running. The Mystic is the same as the Geico, just a little hotter electronics, offset rudder, and a stainless prop. Plus it uses Spektrum 2.4GHz radio system. Be sure to check out the tech section!

SirBudman32
12-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi jabomano.

Been into RC modeling for year's, 32 airplanes and 6 cars/trucks and just got into fe boating this year. Got a Aqaucraft super vee from a member here and love it. I would suggest it to any one just starting out as it is RTR not to expensive, cheap to up grade with just a prop (42/55) and a set of lipos can hit 40 mph with it. good luck with what ever you go with and Happy Boating.

Alexgar
12-07-2011, 11:26 PM
id vote geico or fastech i was really happy with all my proboat boats elam may be a little much for a beginner

Foamaholic
12-07-2011, 11:40 PM
My first real boat is the Impulse 31. I just love running it around full throttle the whole time. Turns great, handles chop, does 32 mph stock, and what a neat rooster tail. Also get about 14 minutes on 2 2s 5000 batteries in series.

jabomano
12-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi SirBudman32. I've been flying rc gliders and ornithopters for years also (although I've also gone years without any rc) and just got into rc surfing. I've been looking at the Aquacraft UL-1 Superior but haven't thought about the super vee. I'll take a look.

jabomano
12-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Gimp..

I'll check out the Mystic.

jabomano
12-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Foamaholic...

I'll also check out the Impulse 31

jabomano
12-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Alexgar...

Thanks for the input...

GeoVW72
12-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Hey jabomano

I haven't had a KOS, but I've had other Venom products and the quality leaves a good bit to be desired. The other stuff from HK needs most of the shipped out guts removed and some reinforcement done.
I will agree that Pro Boat does make a great product that performs well out of the box. The Miss Geico (MG) is a great boat that I've had and the Mystic fixed a lot of the set-up issues that people had and added a better power system. The Impulse also look like a great boat, in the V department.
Pro Boat parts are available everywhere.
There are a few good lakes around Pittsburgh where I run at, although we're starting to get into the snowy season, not that that's stopped me and a few others from running on snow.
I work at a local hobby shop ABCharles (http://www.ab-charles.com/) and I would be more that happy to help you out. You can PM me for more details.

-George

jamespl
12-08-2011, 05:16 AM
I think the p1 king of shaves is a nice boat, I had one and loved it but proboat are doing some nice models at the mo. for a first RTR I would stick with a single drive. The genesis is ace as long as you don't mind adding you own motor and electrics. You will prob find proboats customer service better than venoms.

Basstronics
12-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Screaming fast, rtr, no nightmares.

Is there such a boat?

Closest thing I can think of is a UL-1 for a cheaper priced boat.

Other than that you could pay Tony (properchopper) to build you something sweet and fast.

The Hobby King/E Bay/ Asian boats all need work done before running.

BHChieftain
12-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi,
First decide on the hull type you want-- there is a "tips" section on the main page of OSE

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/different-hull-types.php

If your water is choppy, then mono hulls work great. You can also find mono hulls with flood chambers so they turn them selves over if capsized (generally not RTR however).

Chief

Turbo Dan-O
12-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Screaming fast, rtr, no nightmares.

Is there such a boat?

:iagree: There are a lot of choices out there but I think anyway you go you will be doing some upgrades to get everything you want. I am a newbie myself and I did a LOT of research before buying my Apparition about a year ago. I am still VERY happy with it but I have done a little work to make it faster. I will vote for the Genesis(or Apparition). It is cheap, big enough to handle some chop, and easy to upgrade and make fast. On the other hand I have seen a stock UL-1 that was nasty fast for a bone stock boat. It is a hydroplane though, and needs really smooth water to run in. Don't rush into anything and read read read on the forums!

G-UNIT
12-08-2011, 09:39 AM
In monos I would for the impusle 31, great boat for alittle rougher water and fun to drive.
for cats I lean towards the new mistic and for
hydros, go for the UL-1, fast boat right out of the box and can even make it faster with a prop change and that goes for all of the above.
I would like to get a mistic myself but I learned on a black jack the early model so I learned about changing hardware,water cooling and a bunch of other stuff. and STILL LEARNING.

Gimp
12-08-2011, 10:49 AM
There a nice Genesis is the classifieds, not to much needed to finish and wouldn't have to wait weeks for Hong Kong shipping lol

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?30570-HK-Genesis-for-sale

siberianhusky
12-08-2011, 10:54 AM
First lesson for rc boats - Cheap, fast or reliable - choose two!
For a first boat I'd go with the Mystic or Impulse, I have a SV, good boat, lots of fun but not the most stable boat out there, nicknamed the Superflip.
I own a Motley Crew and wouldn't suggest it to an enemy! I've never owned a Mystic or Geico but have handled at least 3, much better built boats than the MC, I use a Geico power system in my Crew. That being said they will still break in crashes much over 50mph, they were simply not built with those kind of speeds in mind, they were intended to run with the stock motors in the high 40 mph range.
Never owned or seen an Impulse but everything I've read has been pretty positive.
To make a boat go fast there is a lot of learning, prop selection, drive angle and depth, rudder angle..... the list goes on. Testing is the name of the game, the boat has to be able to stay upright at whatever speed it's supposed to go.
With my Motley 1/16" difference in prop depth and moving the cg forwards less than 1/2" changes it from a fast smooth water set up to a fast rough water setup. Don't make the change and it will blow over backwards in a few inches of chop and the associated wind. Or it will stay stuck to the smooth water and not be anywhere near as fast as it usually is.
There is a lot to learn and just about all of us have made mistakes, hopefully we learn from them! Trust me it really sucks when a boat stops dead for no reason, then you take the hatch off and the stinky smoke rolls out! Potentially it can take out the radio, motor, batteries and esc if it's a bad one!
At least with a name brand rtr you can be fairly sure your first run won't end up in a disaster, and as people above have said there are some basic changes you can make to get the most out of these boats. Many many people race them in stock form in "Spec class" racing, just a propeller change. If these boats were a "nightmare" spec racing wouldn't be one of, if not the most popular racing class. All of my boats now are running either the Geico motor or the Aquacraft UL-1 motor, three of them with the stock esc. Couple cats, a mono,couple hydros and a tunnel hull, soon to be building a spec rigger as well.
I also find the size to be ideal, big enough to handle a bit of rough water but small enough to "keep handy", I'm lucky enough to have a nice running spot less than a half mile from my house, it's nice to grab a boat and a few batteries and head out for 45 minutes or so after dinner. I generally keep one boat "on display" on the shelf in my living room. Grab it and I can be on the water in 5 minutes. Wouldn't be the same if I had to drag a big boat out of the basement, then drive to the normal running area.....

JIM MARCUM
12-08-2011, 05:32 PM
jabomano, For a well made, very strong RTR first boat I would recommend the single motor version of the Apparition from Hobby King (USA). Great looks & quality hardware. I have the twin motor version & love it. But it will be a lot harder for me to install big motors (Leopard 30/40 series) and I have to buy twice as many props as I tweak it. I also have a 60 MPH+ modified Miss Geico. The Miss G is a great design (kudos Darin), and in stock form it's a lot of fun. But if you put in 4S2P and a bigger motor (ie: Leopard 4074) it won't survive 50/60+ MPH crashes. The Miss G's canopy & hatch seal are made of a cheap thermoplastic (should be made from lexan like rc car bodies) & will be the first things you break, even stock. The Apparition is 100% heavy duty fiberglass - and will survive survive high speed crashes better than any of the Chinese Pro Boat hulls. Pro Boats fiberglass is too thin, the seams are poorly designed & will split/crack even with 35 MPH crashes. I have several Aeromarine boats - THE standard for fast, srtong, well made hulls. The Apparition is the only Chinese boat I have seen that even comes close to matching Aeromarine's design, speed, strength & quality. It only costs around $200 & it's an ARTR, so you will still need to buy a radio system (FlySky 2.4G: $39, ESC (Turnigy/SeaKing 180A), Servo & LIPOS (Turnigy Nano Tec). DON'T buy cheap Chinese LIPOs like DragonRed. I bought a pile of them & they have only been a pain in the A$$. JIM
PS: Ignore the pic of the boat with the 5692 motor in it - that's my 58" Venom Segad & I don't know how to un-attach it.

desmobob
12-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm a long-time RC'er who also decided to try RC boating this year. I did some reading and picked the ProBoat Mystic, and I'm completely happy with my choice! I've been running it all summer with no problems and lots of fast fun (41MPH with just a prop change; probably 39MPH bone stock). Two of my buddies were impressed enough when they saw it run to also buy Mystics, so now the three of us a have a ball racing at the lake.

Take it easy,
desmobob