PDA

View Full Version : swordfish 120 burned up toaday

mikeochs
12-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Well not such a good day for me. Just got the miss geico ready last night. Runnin a leo 4074 1400kv swordfish 120, x442, 3s 40c 4000 x2 for 6s. I ran the first time for about 2 min and brought it back in, everything was nice and cool but i noticed a little had came in, from where i dont know. So anyways i dried it off and switched batteries and ran it for about 3 min at no more than half to 3/4 throttle and it all of a sudden dead in water. After abot 30 seconds of sitting there and try to see if it was going to go again a large flash happened and i thought it was going to burn down right there. I manage to get the rescue boat and get it in. Of course there was a bunch of black mess all over. The speed control obviously burned up, the batteries were ok though and rx was not working any more after I cleaned it all up. Im just curious to how this happened? I was not pushing it, The numbers are where they should be. Could it have been just a faulty part. And another thing, I had water in there again and more of it. Cant figure where it is coming from? Are these boats notorious for water? Any help would be appreciated. Do you think that speed control is to small?:confused2::crying:

Diesel6401
12-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Well not such a good day for me. Just got the miss geico ready last night. Runnin a leo 4074 1400kv swordfish 120, x442, 3s 40c 4000 x2 for 6s. I ran the first time for about 2 min and brought it back in, everything was nice and cool but i noticed a little had came in, from where i dont know. So anyways i dried it off and switched batteries and ran it for about 3 min at no more than half to 3/4 throttle and it all of a sudden dead in water. After abot 30 seconds of sitting there and try to see if it was going to go again a large flash happened and i thought it was going to burn down right there. I manage to get the rescue boat and get it in. Of course there was a bunch of black mess all over. The speed control obviously burned up, the batteries were ok though and rx was not working any more after I cleaned it all up. Im just curious to how this happened? I was not pushing it, The numbers are where they should be. Could it have been just a faulty part. And another thing, I had water in there again and more of it. Cant figure where it is coming from? Are these boats notorious for water? Any help would be appreciated. Do you think that speed control is to small?:confused2::crying:

I have never been a fan of running esc's to there max voltage, another thing is not running the esc's bec past 4s. The swordfish esc's are great for the price, but the littlest bit of water will fry them. ( i had that happen, when I hit a turtle, split my hull and my esc got wet and fried my rx). Also running at less then full throttle is actually really terrible and hard on esc. Esc's like to be run full wide open throttle as much as possible. So you have a few factors that caused your failure imho..

- running at max volt
- running less then full throttle
- running above 4s using bec

* those 3 factors together increased the work load of your esc.

At the end of the day a little bit of water may also have been the dimise of the esc.

mikeochs
12-03-2011, 07:53 PM
what would you suggest for a esc?

LarrysDrifter
12-03-2011, 08:01 PM
T 180.

mikeochs
12-03-2011, 08:08 PM
anyone have one for sale, evryone is out of them

jkr
12-03-2011, 08:09 PM
T 180.
+ Run it w/o bec.

LarrysDrifter
12-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Check www.fightercatracing.com if OSE is out of stock.

Alexgar
12-03-2011, 08:18 PM
sf 200 is another option. i love my sf120 and i filled the ends with sensor safe silicone and its been dunked 3 time and not fried for what its worth

Alexgar
12-03-2011, 08:23 PM
larry bens sold out also

mikeochs
12-03-2011, 08:55 PM
i was running a sf 120, do you think this is enough esc for my application. 4074 leopard 1400kv 3s 40c 4000 x2 and a x442. I was not even pushing it but if it got wet like diesel said, maybe it fried. It is very ugly and smelly

martin
12-04-2011, 08:58 AM
120amp esc on 6s is a no no.

lectriglide
12-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Turnigy / Seaking 180. Steven has 49 in stock, and I believe he said in another post the new ones already have additional caps installed. Others have run 6s successfully with caps added. :biggrin:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ker-seaking-180

tiqueman
12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I dont necessarily think you pulled too many amps?, but like Diesel said, running EVERYTHING at its max capacities, and probably the water as well, did it. Never run an ESCs bec over 4S. And, Ive been more convinced lately maybe to even stop running an ESCs bec at all.

If you get a 180, disconnect the BEC on it for 6S. I ran one a few weeks ago for a quick two pass trial to test something and ran 6S. 20 seconds after launch it stopped. internal BEC fried. I thought Id get away w/ it at least for 1 minute. Nope. I put an external bec in and on the next run everything stopped working. dead. Im starting to agree w/ a lot of our club guys, I wish they would stop offering becs in speedys.

mikeochs
12-04-2011, 12:25 PM
well lessoned learned i guess, costly one for sure. Now I had to get a new esc and a rx. So running a external bec is ok though or should i just use a rx pack?

tiqueman
12-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Either one, external UBEC or RX pack. just be sure you disconnect the red wire out of the plug and cover it up.

oscarel
12-04-2011, 04:28 PM
As far as the water getting in, if you have everything sealed properly it may be coming in from the stuffing tube. A small piece of water line over the stuffing tube extended over the flex that's well lubed should stop it. It could also come from a cracked water line that looks ok until pressurized.

Boat guy
08-10-2012, 10:39 PM
So if running over 4s disconnect the red wire and get an external battery pack is what I am reading. I have a old pack from a car w 4aa batteries will that work as an external power supply for receiver ? Also I read to program it before removing the red wire is this true. just got new esc for mg and says has built in BEC but sounds like I don't want to use it. Any help would be great on the BEC questions. Thx

Alexgar
08-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Yes and yes to both of your questions my escs have been hit or miss I have 3 t180s one the occur has to be manually set one the bec never worked on since new and one works perfect also my sf120 works as it should but I would get the usb programmer because its a pia to program

martin
08-11-2012, 05:01 AM
Instead of cutting or pulling the red pin on the esc simply get a short servo extention lead & connect to the esc plug then disconect or pull the pin on the red wire on the extention lead. If you then need to reprograme the esc you simply disconect the extention lead which leaves the original esc plug intact. Martin.

Boat guy
08-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Thx any reason not to use a 4aa with switch out of old rustler to power the trans and not use a external BEC Other than weight and replacing the batteries will it do the same thing? Thx for all the help guys.

tiqueman
08-11-2012, 08:01 AM
No reason. A lot of its preference. Some use UBECS, some rx packs/ 4 AA's. Just keep them fresh and/ or charged.