PDA

View Full Version : twist on something I saw on RC groups

Boaterguy
12-03-2011, 04:58 PM
i saw a circuit for a water activated bilge pump, and, even with no use for it, had to build me one. It powers an LED and a small motor no problem on a 9-V battery, and I was thinking of it's uses for FE.
what about two contacts on the bottom of the hull that when activated, hold down a flap on the nose or top of a boat, then, if the nose starts to lift, and the contacts leave the water, a flap comes up to push the nose down, if wired in series with a "NOT" switch, the motor could push up the flap when there is no power going through the system, and pull it back down (or have it pull down with an elastic for simplicity of not having to reverse the polarity.
it might take some fine tuning, but I think it's a viable idea, especially if combined with a gyro operated flap on the bottom.

6BOOST
12-04-2011, 07:48 AM
I would think a gyro activated set of trim tabs would be more effective and quicker in controlling ride attitude if I read your idea correctly, at least in a mono.

Boaterguy
12-04-2011, 08:18 AM
i was thinking on a cat having something sticking out of the nose extending the tunnel, although that would defeat the purpose of keeping the nose down, maybe like a flap right on top of the two sponson tips.

srislash
12-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Bonewar is working on a flap on the back of the tunnel for attitude adjustment.I had thought of the front wing years ago but it would be very sensitive.I like Bonewar's idea in a larger cat.What size hull are you thinking Boaterguy.

tiqueman
12-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Ive seen quite a few air dams mounted at the aft of the tunnel. I think its ToySport who offers one for thier cat. I think the idea is cool though Boaterguy. An adjustable flap on the underside aft is what I would do if I ever felt the need. keep it "real"

srislash
12-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Where do you come up with this stuff?Pics that is.

tiqueman
12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I walked the dry pits at the Clearwater Offshore races and took a bunch of pics. that tab is on this boat

Boaterguy
12-04-2011, 01:20 PM
that would lift ne nose, not hold it down. I was thinking the same thing but at the front.
I wasn't thinking hull specifics but more of a general idea.

tiqueman
12-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Please explain how that adjustable tunnel tab would lift the nose?????

Boaterguy
12-04-2011, 01:33 PM
think of the tail of an airplane, then look at those flaps on the back.
the elevator of an airplane goes up, the tail drops and therefore the nose lifts, same thing would theoretically happen to the boat.
edit: just saw the other picture, i thought you were talking about the hatches on the boat, that flap underneath would push the nose down.

tiqueman
12-04-2011, 01:36 PM
If your talking about the two flaps on the top, those are the engine hatches. We are talking about the tab that goes down on the bottom side of the tunnel. Like a trim tab in water, if it angles down, the nose will go down.

EDIT:lol: there you go. :beerchug: now we are on the same page

Boaterguy
12-04-2011, 02:49 PM
sorry, a little tired right and i must've skipped right over the first picture with the tab.