PDA

View Full Version : Bulletproof "Quick-Change" 4" rail motor mount

properchopper
11-30-2011, 07:25 PM
While waiting for parts to arrive for my 32" Jersey Skiff build, the first dilemma was to come up with a motor mount that doesn't require some mini-contortions to change motors given the relatively limited inside access of this hull. A easy in / easy out design was called for that would allow quick motor replacement between heats, as the first race outing will be with spec motors that should be rather challanged with a submerged prop. Later plans call for full-house P-Class power, so to make the act of changing motors painless, I came up with a design that's a no-sweat operation. Using the extra-strong Insane front mount (which has solidly supported a 1527 Neu in a different boat) and is noticebly thicker than the adequate but mostly spec-rated OSE mount, it mounts to a plate (with a cutout to allow for bigger motor cooling jackets) that can easily be removed with four outside 4mm cap screws that thread to the right-angle pieces that stay bolted to the rails. No more frustration trying to start those balky 3mm motor screws buried inside with a mount permanently attached, or removing the four conventional rail mount bolts.`

64941 64942

64943 64944

lenny
12-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi,:tiphat:
That looks like a great idea.:thumbup:
Were can I buy them at ?
I need one for a 4 1/2 rail and may be water cooled to.

Thanks for any info.:beerchug:

properchopper
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Hi,:tiphat:
That looks like a great idea.:thumbup:
Were can I buy them at ?
I need one for a 4 1/2 rail and may be water cooled to.

Lenny, I just made this starting with the Insane FE30 motor mount and some aluminum angle iron and plate. Lots of drilling and tapping & some polishing. I'm likely going to replace the bottom rail-to-rail piece with CF plate to go lighter. As it sits, it weighs 4.15 oz.

lenny
12-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Ok thanks,
I think I will try to mod your idea,
For what I need in a mount, But water cooled for a outrunner to.
Thanks for sharing the info.

Steven Vaccaro
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Aero makes something very similar. If you want pictures shoot me an email.

Scott T
12-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Looks good Tony. I have a similar functioning mount in my DF21 MkII, four easily accessable bolts and half of the mount and motor come right out. It could easily be flipped over for a flat bottom hull, and wooden blocks could even be used to screw it to. No problems supporting a 1717.

Plenty of pics in my build thread if you want to have a look - http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?20985-Scott-s-DF21-Mk2&highlight=

properchopper
12-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Looks good Tony. I have a similar functioning mount in my DF21 MkII, four easily accessable bolts and half of the mount and motor come right out. It could easily be flipped over for a flat bottom hull, and wooden blocks could even be used to screw it to. No problems supporting a 1717.

Plenty of pics in my build thread if you want to have a look - http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?20985-Scott-s-DF21-Mk2&highlight=

Scott, beautiful work overall :thumbup1: I hear you on the rudder bracket/trim tab real estate conflict; been there lots of time myself ! The quick change mount is super ! Link ?
( making mine was a PIA and my apt. still has aluminum chips embedded everywhere !)

RandyatBBY
12-02-2011, 11:22 PM
That is a real cool way of doing it Scott! Bravo! I like the simplicity of it, and looks real strong a rear retaining ring would be eazy too.

Scott T
12-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Scott, beautiful work overall :thumbup1: I hear you on the rudder bracket/trim tab real estate conflict; been there lots of time myself ! The quick change mount is super ! Link ?
( making mine was a PIA and my apt. still has aluminum chips embedded everywhere !)
Thanks Tony. Andrew at Fastelectrics developed that one, and they're available here - http://www.fastelectrics.com/hardware.asp Might save you some aluminium chips in the future :thumbup1:

properchopper
12-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Thanks Tony. Andrew at Fastelectrics developed that one, and they're available here - http://www.fastelectrics.com/hardware.asp Might save you some aluminium chips in the future :thumbup1:

Thanks, Scott. I now remember seeing them some time ago. Really nice design. Next time !!

CornelP
12-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I did an easy to remove support that is now my standard... It's mostly CNC (except the threads), easy to assemble and very easy to remove/install: three screws from the top and you're done.

properchopper
12-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I did an easy to remove support that is now my standard... It's mostly CNC (except the threads), easy to assemble and very easy to remove/install: three screws from the top and you're done.

Very nice !! I wish I had more than just a hacksaw, drill press & a grinder/sander.

CornelP
12-18-2011, 02:16 AM
It's actually made in a local shop on my drawings... less than 10$/set...

properchopper
12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Do you have a photo of the piece (on the hull) that the mount attaches to ?

lenny
12-18-2011, 09:30 PM
It's actually made in a local shop on my drawings... less than 10$/set...
Very nice mount,:tiphat:
Can you do a water cooled version, something like that for outrunners motors ?

LMK

Lenny D

CornelP
12-19-2011, 01:30 AM
Do you have a photo of the piece (on the hull) that the mount attaches to ?

Unfortunately no, but it's just a strip of 2.5mm carbon with three 3mm blind nuts underneath... I made an older one in 4mm aluminum, directly threaded. Carbon is easier to glue in place... :p

Lenny, I have a drawing for a watercooled one, but never fabricated it yet.
Early next year I should have some of these in carbon, one piece. If it turns out ok, I'll ship a couple over the pond...

lenny
03-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Unfortunately no, but it's just a strip of 2.5mm carbon with three 3mm blind nuts underneath... I made an older one in 4mm aluminum, directly threaded. Carbon is easier to glue in place... :p

Lenny, I have a drawing for a watercooled one, but never fabricated it yet.
Early next year I should have some of these in carbon, one piece. If it turns out ok, I'll ship a couple over the pond...

Hey,:tiphat:
How did you every make out with the water cooled motor mount ?
I am still looking for something.

properchopper
03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Lenny,

I recently wanted to figure out how to convert an installed, non cooled mount to a watercooled one. I thought of this, where the cooling block is sandwiched between the motor and the existing mount - the mounting holes line everything up using longer than normal screws:

http://fightercatracing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=34&category_id=22&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

Or use the center piece from one of these : (maybe narrowed)

http://fightercatracing.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=34&category_id=22&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

Just thinkin'.....

lenny
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks Tony,:tiphat:
I am looking for something universal for different motor sizes to.
I will probably need to mod or make my own.:noidea: