PDA

View Full Version : Hydra 120 and 6s lipo?

markymizzle
04-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Well I am finishing up a R/C project, and my next one will be a SuperVee...

So I am wondering, I am about to purchase a second lipo, so I will have two 3s2p 8000HV packs...

I would like to make a SV crazy fast, and I was looking at the hydra 120/9XL combo everyone keeps talking about. But I only see people using a 5s1p lipo in there...

But would it be able to handle my two packs in series? I want to make the right purchase now so I can use the same lipo's in the SV....what would it take to run 6S lipo (esc wise etc.)?

(I know crazy fast means poor handling etc., but honestly, Im not going to be doing any races, I just want to make this thing a rocket on the water!)

Thanks for your help guys! I'm a total noobie here and can't wait to jump into a SV27! Just want to make the thing scary fast from the get-go

Doby
04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Some people have had bad results with the Hydra 120 on 6s, I run one on 5s with a 9xl with no problems. I even also run a SV stock controller on 4s with a 9xl as well.

If your heart is set on a 9xl and 6S, go for the Hydra 240 and have the extra safety margin.

PS; a SV running more than about 45 MPH is approaching uncontrolable on anything but glass smooth water. Its not nessecarily fun.

markymizzle
04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Do you think the 9xl would be able to handle the power of 6S and a Hydra 240? I want to make it crazy fast but not smoke the esc/batteries at the same time...any suggestions? (asides from keep it stock haha)

Doby
04-01-2008, 12:26 PM
It would be close, I have seen them run on 6s at our club and survive. Just keep in mind that when you go to extreams in setups, ,,,,,extream things happen that translate into $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Flying Scotsman
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Do you think the 9xl would be able to handle the power of 6S and a Hydra 240? I want to make it crazy fast but not smoke the esc/batteries at the same time...any suggestions? (asides from keep it stock haha)

Listen to what Doby has stated. The SV27 hull has a limit as far as speed is concerned. You would be better off buying a bare hull of your choice, than sinking..pun not intended...your hard earned cash in a potential disaster.
Building your own boat is the next step. Also I believe from your statements you have no FE boating experience. If this is the case buy a stock SV27 and learn. There will be many people who will offer their advise on this hull after you have run the stock boat!!
Douggie

Doby
04-01-2008, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=Flying Scotsman;33227]"than sinking..pun not intended..."

I Love it :rofl:

OJ racer
04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
If your good with technical stuff, you could probably build your own boat without learning from an SV. I like to think that I can build almost anything with help. In this case, I went strait to building from a bare DF22, and with a ton of advice from the forum it turned out really well. Although I had already made some minor mods to a Traxxas Blast, but you get the idea.

markymizzle
04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
That is almost what I am thinking just to build one, what type of hull should I look at to handle the speed from a 6s lipo?

Also, I've noticed some hardware kits that seem to include all the bits I would need for the transom....I think I could handle building a boat...prob. with a ton of dumb posts but I think it could handle..

Maybe a good "hull and hardware" set would be a good starting point?

OJ racer
04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I went with the DF22, solinger hardware, X-power 100a ESC, Feigao 10 turn 540 L, and two 8.4 volt nimh. I posted a ton of posts that probably gave the the more experienced forum members quite a few laughs, but in the end it turned out really well.

Rex R
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
tis been said, that there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers...that said, which type of hull would you be interested in? from what I've heard the classic hydro and the delta force 25 are good to 50 mph(the classic hydro can achieve this with an sv power system).

OJ racer
04-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't know how fast mine is yet, but I'm putting an etrex in it for a run later this week when I have time. With luck I'll top 50, if not I'll mod it till I do!!

markymizzle
04-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Well for a hull I THINK I would be looking for a decent sized mono...I would be running in water that wouldn't be smooth all the time so

Rex R
04-01-2008, 07:55 PM
prolly should consider something in the24-30" range. steven has a reasonably good selection of hulls listed.

markymizzle
04-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I was looking at the titan 33....is that a good hull? And about the hardware...any kits you would recommend? I feel that if I get a good hull/hardware set I could take the rest from there with electronics and the in the hull stuff...