PDA

View Full Version : i have a cell that charged to 5.4 volts ????

sigelitest
11-25-2011, 05:58 PM
has anyone seen this cell 1 was 5.4 the rest were 3.8
the charger is a bal charger.

Make-a-Wake
11-25-2011, 06:29 PM
I'd suspect your voltage tester be checked out. If you can manually check each cell with a standard voltage tester(with the pronged leads) that would be a good start.............

JIM MARCUM
11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
My NanoTec LIPOs run around 4.18 Volts per cell. I've had some cheap (DragonRed 4800mAh 45C) 4S LIPOs where one cell ran at 5+ Volts, AFTER the pack blew out one of the cells. I lost at least one cell in 7 of these 4S batts making them worthless. I'd toss the pack before you burn up your boat. JIM

m4a1usr
11-25-2011, 07:45 PM
I'd suspect your voltage tester be checked out. If you can manually check each cell with a standard voltage tester(with the pronged leads) that would be a good start.............

Exactly. I would use a multi meter to check and see if they are measuring the same reading. Got a DMM around?

John

sigelitest
11-25-2011, 07:52 PM
i used my fluke and the cells were all 3.8 (about) bad tester i guess i had a bad day at the pond so i figured it was the bat i am glad it was just the tester i hit my good 4s pack with the boat rudder on the way home and dented it so i tossed it. this was my last 4s pack i had for the weekend.

i Knew 5 volts made no sence

i ordered 5 2s hard packs for next weekend

m4a1usr
11-25-2011, 09:17 PM
i used my fluke and the cells were all 3.8 (about) bad tester i guess i had a bad day at the pond so i figured it was the bat i am glad it was just the tester i hit my good 4s pack with the boat rudder on the way home and dented it so i tossed it. this was my last 4s pack i had for the weekend.

i Knew 5 volts made no sence

i ordered 5 2s hard packs for next weekend

Glad to see you had a DMM to verify the tester was the culprit. I have never liked those devices and your scenario was the perfect demonstrator of why not to buy one. It cannot be trusted. Even if it doesnt display something so erroneous as what you had. They are cheap for a reason. And even if they are not cheap a quality DMM can be had used for less than 50 bux! I hope those reading will buy the correct diagnostic tools to have on the bench for those situations when questions need to be answered.

John

Chrisg81983
12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I had this happen to me I opened up the pack and I found a loose balancing wire n another cell causing others to get a faulty reading just resolder and u r good as long as the pack reads good and has no damage such a swelling