PDA

View Full Version : The purpose of using a radio box in a FE?

barryaclarke
11-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Looking through the building section and pictures on the OSE forum, I noticed that very few use a radio box compared to gas. Plus, I remember seeing one that had a water cooled ESC in with the other equipment. Then I wondered about the sense of running water into the radio box when this is the purpose of the radio box in the first place is to keep water out? This maybe a stupid question, but why do the builders of FE seldom use a radio box compared to those who build gas especially in the larger boats that have extra room? It seems like a good idea to keep your equipment, such as the receiver, receiver batteries if used, and servo dry………

Boaterguy
11-24-2011, 05:15 PM
FE boats don't need air circulation like gas boats, therefore an FE boat is (should) be waterproof at all times, everything would have to be in the radio box so theres no point in having one, also a motivation to keep your boat sealed.

Fluid
11-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Too, the motor and packs don't like water either, getting them wet can be far worse than a damp radio. On an FE boat, the hull is the radio box.

pyroM!KE
11-25-2011, 12:42 AM
It helps when everything is waterproofed..If that means just putting the RX in a waterproof box to waterproof it, do it..I flipped a MG and both lids came off..The hull instantly filled up 3/4 full but I had everything waterproofed so I was able to get her in!!! The electrics were completely submerged in water and I didnt even blow anything up..Just do whatever it takes to waterproof everything..Youll be glad you did one day..

barryaclarke
11-25-2011, 01:53 AM
A number of years ago I had a buddy that hit something in the water when his boat was really cranking. It tore a hole in the front of the hull knocking the hatch off and it filled with water shorting everything. I guess floatation helped as he retrieved most of it for the garbage can. I cannot remember what all he lost, but he was not a happy camper. Your suggestion does have a good point...........

Boaterguy
11-25-2011, 10:25 PM
liquid elecrical tape is good stuff, diesel made a video on how to do it, then he put the receiver in a cup of water and used it!
I don't know where the video is but if you ask him he might be able to help.

jj2003
11-25-2011, 10:54 PM
liquid elecrical tape is good stuff, diesel made a video on how to do it, then he put the receiver in a cup of water and used it!
I don't know where the video is but if you ask him he might be able to help.

Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/user/cougaracci?feature=mhee#p/f/4/fcSTB40mjsE

pyroM!KE
11-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes the liquid tape is how I didnt ruin my MG electrics..They were fully submerged and didnt so much as twitch..Its a great mod..