PDA

View Full Version : Hydro & Marine ... What Happened??

jimi911
11-21-2011, 08:38 PM
First off, let me say that I am a long time Hydro & Marine customer and I own or have owned 10 of their hulls (3 Vipers, 2 Drifters, Micro Drifter, No Step 1 and 2, Skater, and Classic shovel). I have never had an issue with them.

I just bought my first new H&M hull in 3 years direct from the manufacturer. WOW!! What happened??? I bought the new Phazor in yellow. The gel coat looks like its been siting in the sun for a year, the hatch just plain doesn't fit, tons of nicks and bangs, and the worst finishing I have seen on a hull in a long time. This is a $230+ hull by the time you take it out of the box.

Not sure if I have gotten a lemon here, but I gotta say ... its bad and too $$y to ship back. I did notice the new logo inside the hull which seems to suggest a new builder. If that's the case they need to do something, because there is no way people will pay a premium price for a second rate hull.

Diegoboy
11-21-2011, 08:56 PM
The last Viper turbine I bought direct from Oliver S, the hatch came assembled offset and didnt fit well. It also had pin holes in the seams of the hull. I think the Quality control dept lowers their standards when shipping one or two item orders as opposed to dealer orders

jimi911
11-21-2011, 09:05 PM
I think the Quality control dept lowers their standards when shipping one or two item orders as opposed to dealer orders

Man ... I hope not. That would be super lame. If so, its a new thing because the drifter and viper I got 3 or 4 years back was great.

LarrysDrifter
11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Post a few pics of your hull.

tiqueman
11-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I local club member just got a Drifter, but from FD... so maybe because it wasnt direct, but it looked pretty darn good from when I had it in my hands. Certainly nothing worse than spending that kinda cash and receiving garbage. I hope that H&M isnt going that way. Best of luck and id definitely be contacting them. Keep us posted

jimi911
11-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I got a couple of my hulls from Chris, all good.

I am not sure if its because its a new design, or if the builder just stinks, or if it was the leftovers from a larger order.

I'll post some pics of the hull when I get some time. The bottom on its is interesting as well. The rear pad past the last step scoops downward. I hope its a scale-look thing on that, because I cannot see it doing anything but planting the nose.

I am going to email H&M and see what they say.

Steven Vaccaro
11-22-2011, 10:08 AM
I got a couple of my hulls from Chris, all good.

I am not sure if its because its a new design, or if the builder just stinks, or if it was the leftovers from a larger order.

I'll post some pics of the hull when I get some time. The bottom on its is interesting as well. The rear pad past the last step scoops downward. I hope its a scale-look think on that, because I cannot see it doing anything but planting the nose.

I am going to email H&M and see what they say. Make sure to include pictures in your email.

NativePaul
11-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I bought a H&M Agitator S 3 weeks ago direct from H&M and the glasswork on it is the best that I have seen.

jimi911
11-24-2011, 06:45 PM
The story they gave me was that this is their "economy model" (the model is 135 euros + shipping) and that they normally sell models like that for 199 euro (the Drifter S is $155 Euros). I did notice they changed the name of the hull on their site ... they now call it it: "Phazor - particularly inexpensive entry-Kat". I really don't think H&M has anything that is considered economy, but I am just going to eat this one. It can go in the "loss" column and I'll see what I can do with it. Luckily, I have a few in the win column lately so I don't feel as bad.

tiqueman
11-25-2011, 08:27 AM
"Economy Model"???? Sounds pretty lame to me. Eating it or not, it still sux. So basically what they are saying is, we screwed this boat up so rather than trashing it we will sell it as an "economy model" (meaning its a blem) and not tell the customer. Good deals lately or not, that would steam me. You bought H&M for thier known quality.

Fast One
12-01-2011, 04:19 AM
MHZ used to make this hull and I think it was called the hydrolift? I had one years ago and it did have the rear pads pointing down at the ends, I think that was to help stop the bow lifting and it blowing over. I powerd mine with a graupner outboard that had a brushed 800 sized motor. So maybe Hydro and marine have copied that hull?

jimi911
12-01-2011, 07:22 AM
MHZ used to make this hull and I think it was called the hydrolift? I had one years ago and it did have the rear pads pointing down at the ends, I think that was to help stop the bow lifting and it blowing over. I powerd mine with a graupner outboard that had a brushed 800 sized motor. So maybe Hydro and marine have copied that hull?

You are right! Thanks :) Found some video of the thing running to.

CornelP
12-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Quality has gone down a lot, unfortunately... Just received two hulls from them (Skyper Mono II and Stryker Hydro I) and the quality is very poor. On the Skyper, the hull is decent, but it will need some filler and a lot of sanding to make it race ready, the hatch needs LOTS of trimming.
The new Hydro, Striker, is even worse. It should have an exit for the shaft at the rear, sort like a ski or pad or whatever is the correct name... but it probably went wrong when casting and I got a "repaired" hull, a very poor job, with a patch on the outside, not flush but at least strengthened on the inside with some kevlar. I'll see if I can find the pics... Of course the price was not reduced...
Most of the hulls are done outside his shop, only a few are real "Made in Germany" and he's getting very hostile when you criticize a product... bottom line: buy H&M if you're willing to work on it to correct.

ray schrauwen
12-23-2011, 06:03 PM
That is sad about H&M. I just saw a scale rudder on HOR's website and it is drop dead amazing, for $49. True scale cat rudder 150mm long, cherry.

Yes, I commented on the quality of his hardware when the rudder mount twisted during a low speed rollover. He basically told me to F-off.

The next year TFL knocked off that same hardware and make it STRONGER for 1/2 the price at least and now you can buy the rudders anywhere.

All I asked his was if he could replace the mount piece that was bent and I'd even pay for it but, he didn't like my pictures or comments I guess.... His loss...

jimi911
01-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I have been working on my Phazor and Micro Drifter ... both almost done. The micro drifter is old stock new, 5 years old I was told. The Phazor I just got from H&M. Night and day difference between the two hulls. The gel, glasswork, finish, and straightness on the Micro Drifter is worlds better than the Phazor.

It's a shame ...

sigelitest
01-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I am not sure what to expect when i order a hull. the DF hulls i have got were flawless, so were the fighter cat hulls. The Maritimo hull i got needed filler and sanding and the aeromarine hulls i got needed a lot of TLC. The H&M hull was over 300 USD, you would think it would look better.

jimi911
01-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I am not sure what to expect when i order a hull. the DF hulls i have got were flawless, so were the fighter cat hulls. The Maritimo hull i got needed filler and sanding and the aeromarine hulls i got needed a lot of TLC. The H&M hull was over 300 USD, you would think it would look better.

Yup ... its a crap shoot. I have hulls from all over the place. Seems you never know what to expect.

I have gotten DF and DF clones (laid up too light) and the glass work was great.

Old H&M hulls ... great. Most recent ... crap.

AC Boats ... Best you will find.

Seaducer ... three very nice (42, 33, 29) ... new 26" one sux.

ETTI ... Great

I will say that Delta Force are great for the $$$ ... never disappointed with those. Begs the Q ... if they can make them on the cheap and still turn out quality, what the heck is going on elsewhere?!?

AC Boats are spectacular.