PDA

View Full Version : Flipped my Impulse on the last run of the year....

TAMonti
11-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Canopy and waterproof cover flew off and the boat floated nose up in the middle of the lake (of course) for a few hours. The wind finally blew it to shore. My question is..how waterproof is the ESC and motor?? The plug from the ESC to the receiver is already corroded, as is the balancer plug on the battery packs. I'm guessing the servo, receiver & battery packs are toast, correct???? What about the motor and ESC???

ejimbo4
11-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Let it dry out for a couple few days.Some guys on here recommend putting them in a bag of rice or oats and that will help pull the moisture but do a search and you will find the info....

tlandauer
11-19-2011, 07:44 PM
I had a similar case where my ProBoat Fast Tech's lid came off during a trial run where I put OSE's RTI "Leopard 4074/Seaking180 combo". I had to remove the stock radio box in order for this set up to install properly.I had TP lipos which was brand new:cursing:, I noticed the corrosion rightaway just like you. I called ThunderPower and they said first to dry out the batteries ( I waited a whole month until I don't see even condensation any more) I carefully cleaned the corroded spots with automotive battery terminal cleaner.The tech who answered my call said it is always the case where the balance plugs will also get corrosion, he told me just to clean them. The batteries are still good, infact they held steady voltage. But this is JUST MY CASE AND IN NOWAY CAN I PREDICT OTHER PEOPLE'S CASE. The Seaking 180a turns out to be water tight, no problem at all, again, I waited a good few days to test, having to clean the corroded plugs and the ESC to RX wire. I had the Specktrum MR3000 and that is water-proof. ( don't know which one you had, the less expensive one is not water tight so I was told). I would change the servo as i realized mine never dried out completely . Took the motor down and couldn't open the endbell but air blow dried it and oiled the bearing really thoroughly. I posted the same questions here at the Forum and someone was kind enough to point out that you can also use WD-40 to take away the water, anyway, it is a pain but hopefully you didn't suffer a total lost on all the components. Goodluck!

TAMonti
11-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info. My boat came with a MR2000 reciever. I will have to do a little research to see if it is waterproof. Should be!! I blew all the water out of the motor and I am hoping for the best for the other parts. Is the servo a std size??? I would like to buy a waterproof one this next time!!

Diesel6401
11-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info. My boat came with a MR2000 reciever. I will have to do a little research to see if it is waterproof. Should be!! I blew all the water out of the motor and I am hoping for the best for the other parts. Is the servo a std size??? I would like to buy a waterproof one this next time!!

The motor is fine, just spray some wd40 inside it and then tap it all out. Get some corrosion x from here at OSE and pre-treat your motors. Spray them then tap out and let them sit (shaft side down) and then your fine. The servo is std size, not sure on the waterproofing of them, they do have waterproof servos on the market. I would open the servo and spray it out with a electrical clearner, and the spray the plug also then let it sit on the becnh for a little while and test it. The mr200 should also be fine. The are marine series are pre-coated.

* Where you using hatch tape?

TAMonti
11-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I own hatch tape. Did I use hatch tape??? Not this time. I learned my lesson the hard and expensive way!!

rc2266
11-22-2011, 11:23 AM
I did the same thing with my proboat shockwave, only thing that didn't work after drying out was the steering servo, so you should be good since there is better equip in impulse

rc2266
12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Any updates?

TAMonti
12-01-2011, 07:03 PM
I had to replace the steering servo and the balancing plug on the batteries, but the boat works fine!!! I haven't had it back on the water, but everything wakes up on shore. I consider myself quite lucky. I learned the 2 most important words in R/C Boating.....HATCH TAPE!! Happy Holidays!!

TAMonti
06-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Ran the Impulse for the first time since the "drowning". She ran like a top. Ran thru 2 sets of batteries and a x445 prop in moderately flat water. AND hatch tape!! I was soooo relieved. Thanks for all the good advise!!

JimClark
06-22-2012, 02:52 PM
get some corrosion x