PDA

View Full Version : Extending rx antenna?

Mattwarner
11-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Can anyone help, I brought a planet t5 2.4ghz rx/tx from my LHS and the antenna on the rx is only about 1" long, this was fine for my buggy but I later asked how it would work with my Carbon fibre boat, the reply was that it would have limited range and that I should remove the rx from its case and solder on a longer wire but that it should be exactly x4 the length of the original so in other words 4" max.

Does this sound right?

P.s looks like this

http://shop.huntersystems.co.uk/ekmps/shops/huntersystems/images/planet-t5-2.4ghz-digital-6-channel-receiver-new-product-1474-p.jpg

siberianhusky
11-19-2011, 01:08 PM
No it doesn't, most of the wire in a 2.4g rx is coax feeder wire, the actual antennae in only about the last 1/2" or so depending on the brand.
I've wondered about using a 2.4g antennae off a cheap HK rx and soldering it onto a different rx. you would get about 14" then, but no idea if that would work, haven't tried it.

Mattwarner
11-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I will get the case off and take a look and see if it's just a single wire or co-ax these rx's are only £14 ($9) so if it doesn't work I could always buy another or solder the old antenna back on

siberianhusky
11-19-2011, 05:25 PM
wow google 2.4g rx antennae length, tons of info about possible solutions! and a lot of info that I just don't understand! Seems the key is the 31 mm at the tip.

runzwithsizorz
11-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I have used a 2.4ghz RX with only a 2" antenna with no issues at all with a fiberglass boat. However, to insure reception on a carbon fiber build, I would recommend,----
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Products/marineReceivers.aspx

Mattwarner
11-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Can you mix and match rx's? Or does it have to be the same make as the tx

JackBlack26
11-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Every 2.4 system and receivers are different. I use a Spectrum DX3c and I get limited range on specific receivers. For instance, the 3000 have a short antenna and I loose rand on the water at about 100 yards. The 3100 have longer antennas and I have yet to lose signal without feeling the boat is too far away. But then again, systems like the Tactic and Traxxas don't have an antenna. Each system is designed different even though they are all 2.4.

RCaddict0
11-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Traxxas has a long antenna. But I thought the length of the RX's antenna actually out of the truck or in this case boat, doesnt matter.